NUFC kits & merchandise: 2024/25 home kit on sale

Ryan

3 minutes ago, Harry 209 said:

I would absolutely love something like that one day but can't be bothered with the inevitable outrage from 40+ fans.

Same, I wouldn’t mind something like that for sure, rather than just the black and white template that you can get for 20 quid.

49 minutes ago, gdm said:

I believe Leverkusen’s kit is the same but in red in black so I guess it’s a template of sorts 

I think that's unique, Leverkusens 24/25 kit is by Castore.

Posted (edited)

Can’t believe how many people on this forum are happy to move away from the location we’ve played our home games on for 130 years, as well as ditch our badge for some simplistic modern effort.

Crazy. Heritage and identity clearly means nowt. 

Edited by Danh1

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Out of interest for the older fans, was there any kickback in 83ish when the badge changed to the NUFC logo with the magpie?

Or when we changed from the NUFC badge to the current one in 1988/89? It's not as if the current is exactly old. As someone else has pointed out its probably younger than most who post on the forum.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Out of interest for the older fans, was there any kickback in 83ish when the badge changed to the NUFC logo with the magpie?

I don't recall much kickback but I was bairn at the time, plus there was no internet then so any grumbles didn't escalate. 

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Or when we changed from the NUFC badge to the current one in 1988/89? It's not as if the current is exactly old. As someone else has pointed out its probably younger than most who post on the forum.

That was widely received if i recall correctly. 

The current badge should never be touched. It’s a thing of absolute beauty. The modern footie badges are so gash these days. 

Posted (edited)

I would hope we win something with current stadium and badge. Might sound silly, but it would feel more associated with the club I grew up watching.

If we win something years down the line with new everything (stadium, badge, players etc) I think it might take a little of the shine off it. Abit like Man city winning things now compared to how their fans may have felt if they had won something before all the changes. 

Last seasons league cup would have been perfect with so many of the squad remaining from the dark days. Shame.

Edited by alexf

13 minutes ago, Kanji said:

The current badge should never be touched. It’s a thing of absolute beauty. The modern footie badges are so gash these days. 

The current badge could be modified slightly to make it better

Would love to see a mock up of that Inter kit as our home kit to prove me wrong but I'm not sure the stark contrast of black and white would look nearly as good.

Would love something like that as an away kit though. 

28 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It is, but it's based on the Newcastle city crest which is from the 1500s 

I agree with @Jack27 that a slight re-work of the current would be fine and I don't have an issue with a different and/or retro crest for a third shirt.

Just now, Keegans Export said:

It is, but it's based on the Newcastle city crest which is from the 1500s 

I agree with @Jack27 that a slight re-work of the current would be fine and I don't have an issue with a different and/or retro crest for a third shirt.

This is it, the current is a rework of the city's crest so it does actually have strong ties.

It'd be shame to lose it as I do like it even if it is a bit complex and more expensive to reproduce en masse.

1 hour ago, Harry 209 said:

I think that's unique, Leverkusens 24/25 kit is by Castore.

Maybe wasn’t Leverkusen then but I saw a black and red version of it earlier 

Posted (edited)

Sure i read somewhere that the reason for the simpler circular badges is to do with being able to replicate easier and make them easier to recognise as a brand rather than a crest etc.

Im also sure its better for disabled fans (thinking autism, sight affected here)to recognise

currently looking for the articles to back this up

edit: found this on a google search

I know in vexillology (flag design) there’s a school of thought of simple shapes, patterns, and colors to make a flag immediately identifiable. One of the guiding tenets is people should be able to tell what the flag is even when it’s shrunken down to the size of your thumbnail. It seems like these simplified, minimalists soccer crests are aiming for the same, which helps a ton with brand identity and recognizability.

Edited by Cookie1892

5 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

Sure i read somewhere that the reason for the simpler circular badges is to do with being able to replicate easier and make them easier to recognise as a brand rather than a crest etc.

Im also sure its better for disabled fans (thinking autism, sight affected here)to recognise

edit: found this on a google search

I know in vexillology (flag design) there’s a school of thought of simple shapes, patterns, and colors to make a flag immediately identifiable. One of the guiding tenets is people should be able to tell what the flag is even when it’s shrunken down to the size of your thumbnail. It seems like these simplified, minimalists soccer crests are aiming for the same, which helps a ton with brand identity and recognizability.

And cheaper to produce, which increases profit. 

3 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

that's just bullshit from some design agency to justify their work :lol:

it'll happen at some point, just hope it's decent and they hire a proper agency who understand heritage and the importance of the project.

a "brand" isn't just one badge, anyway. there's room to grow our visual identity beyond just replacing our primary badge. which Adidas are already doing with the 3rd kit, it's a smart move.

I like our badge, though don't like the light shade of blue with the name. I wouldn't mind a slightly simplified version of it.

It is a very formal coat of arms design though - I'm all in favour of trying to push the circular NUFC badge with the little magpie as an addition, though I'm sure marketing experts would talk about brand awareness dilution or some such term.

I think the NUFC is a good, simple design, well-suited for less formal stuff like street clothing etc.

Actually where's that AI pic of Joelinton wearing a cape on a sausage roll, holding a bottle of brown? Can we just use that as our badge?

I love our badge but would be open to change providing it was done sensitively.

It's one of the most important pieces of iconography in my life and that wouldn't change if we were to replace it. It wouldn't disappear from existence; it would just be a symbol of eras passed, stored mostly in the memory, but hopefully with physical nods elsewhere too. I've suggested this a few times now but I would love to see the East Stand font changed and all of the club's former badges adorned and backlit on the fascia, either side of the replacement text.

I'm rarely anti-tradition and I don't necessarily think it is. Some things are sacred and simply can't change (i.e. the kit) but some things probably can. I've always loathed the dumbing down by making it monochrome/matching away kit colours anyway. 

Incidentally this is something on which my view has gradually changed over time, before anyone pulls me up...

Posted (edited)

Only change(s) I'd accept would be for the club to keep the current crest as the overall club crest but to wear the 83-88 badge on the kits, similar to what Liverpool do with keeping their overall crest but having just the liverbird with 'LFC' on like they did pre 1990 on the kits.

OR

A 'dumbing down' of the colours on the current crest to the 125 Years crest from 2017-18, if the amount of colours are an issue for graphic designing cost cutting nonces.

Edited by HaydnNUFC