NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

14 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Sigh worried with this if we will just became one big gaudy advertising board for Saudi Arabia after all. (the kit is actually really nice mind) but it's just an easy red flag for everyone. 

I don't want to sound mean but what were you expecting? That they were just doing it to have a warm, gooey feeling inside from making a load of Geordies happy?

1 hour ago, Infinitely Content said:

I think the argument of many would be that secular humanists and atheists share the same belief system as christians and jews because western society is constructed upon judeo-christian values. Those values helped shape and construct public morality since long ago, and continue to influence it today.

That said having read the gospels again multiple times as an adult, it seems to me more concerned with transcendence and surrender than it is with morality. Particularly this kind of empty morality adorned like a robe everywhere you look these days; which is a morality based on the intention to be perceived in the eyes of the society to be doing the right thing, rather than actually doing it.

The gospels were in many ways the absolute antithesis to that kind of morality.

Anyway, nice kits.

It would be a pretty shite argument tbf, but I agree that that would be their argument. 

I wonder if the gospels have much in there about the fixation on hand wringing over the morality and hypocrisy of the individual, while those in power get away with being infinitely more responsible and more immoral, having created a world where its nigh on impossible for the individual to not be some form of hypocrite. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

For some, it'll be visual reminder that our majority owners are human right abusing KSA.

The thing is, the majority of the outrage is coming from those journalists and accounts that won't let us forget who bought the club regardless.

Ultimately it'll have been a cold, hard commercial decision, that's why they bought us.   

As someone who has reservations about the ownership, this really evokes no strong emotions either way.

Edited by The Prophet

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I don't want to sound mean but what were you expecting? That they were just doing it to have a warm, gooey feeling inside from making a load of Geordies happy?

The Qataris and Emiratis have been far more circumspect with their sportswashing enterprises.

This is gaudy as fuck and it’s embarrassing watching people pretend turning the badge in to the green and white of the Saudi flag isn’t absolutely wank.

I can see why some people would be annoyed. Those who took the view that they'd support the team, but not do daft things like waving the Saudi flag, for example. Of course, they don't need to buy the shirt, but the team will be playing in it.

And no doubt there will be some outrage about it from outside the club, but that's happening now anyway. But they have every right to do what they want and advertise how they please. So, like ripping off a plaster, might as well do it quick, as it'll die down as quicker too.

Personally don't give a hoot about it. In fact, if it raises our profile in the Middle East, all the better. I'll probably buy one.

6 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

The Qataris and Emiratis have been far more circumspect with their sportswashing enterprises.

This is gaudy as fuck and it’s embarrassing watching people pretend turning the badge in to the green and white of the Saudi flag isn’t absolutely wank.

So sportswashing is fine as long as it's...subtle?

Sticking QATAR AIRLINES or ETHIAD all over everything = fine

A particular colour of change jersey = not fine

Like I say, there's a lot to process with what's going on with our club and people can draw the line wherever they want but the colour of a change kit seems an odd place to do it.

Its some colours. We have had white and green before. Make the crest the usual colours and it's pretty smart.

So what if its similar to Saudi Arabia's. Our home kit is similar to Notts County and Juventus....doesn't make it the same or associate them with us.

Also as a third kit it might appear maybe once or twice a season and possibly pre-season friendlys. 

Yes if it's real its an obvious attempt at 'sportwashing' but that was always going to be inevitable whether claimed by media or true.

The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

It’s a bad joke that this takeover was allowed.

Edited by Smal

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Its some colours. We have had white and green before. Make the crest the usual colours and it's pretty smart.

So what if its similar to Saudi Arabia's. Our home kit is similar to Notts County and Juventus....doesn't make it the same or associate them with us.

Also as a third kit it might appear maybe once or twice a season and possibly pre-season friendlys. 

Yes if it's real its an obvious attempt at 'sportwashing' but that was always going to be inevitable whether claimed by media or true.

We aren't owned by Notts County of Juventus though.

I get the idea behind the Green and white and I actually think it looks really smart. But there WILL be a backlash from the media over it.

Just now, Mazzy said:

We aren't owned by Notts County of Juventus though.

I get the idea behind the Green and white and I actually think it looks really smart. But there WILL be a backlash from the media over it.

There might be snidey holier than thou article in the Guardian, but really doubt anyone outside of Newcastle (and Sunderland)will pay the slightest bit of attention

49 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Even we sell a million shirts in Saudi at £60 a pop (very ambitious given a population of 34m), if the Castore deal is similar to most deals football clubs sign with kit makers, we’d take in c.£5m (before tax)

Which would almost cover Chris Wood’s salary for next season, in fairness

edit: for context, Man City sold 1m shirts worldwide last year

Man City are the worst big club for shirt sale examples.

Liverpool sold 2.5m last year.

11 minutes ago, Smal said:

The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

It’s a bad joke that this takeover was allowed.

Well Ive been laughing ever since mate!

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Our owners are from Saudi Arabia and want to grow our support and income from that country. 

Nowt else to see here, it’s an away top who gives a fuck.

You are just ignoring the massive, massive caveat that the kingdom is a murderous and despotic regime that we are just going to be a symbol of.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get being fine with the connection and all that, whatever, who cares. But to tell yourself that there's no connection and that the colour scheme is just some sort of coincidence is wild like. :lol:

I don't think anyone has suggested it is a coincidence (if I've missed it then they are clearly naive), it's clearly been thought of either by Castore or the club. Fairly certain that's a unanimous position

Where the difference lies is in whether people are bothered by it, that's clearly a mixed reaction

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Man City are the worst big club for shirt sale examples.

Liverpool sold 2.5m last year.

Liverpool have a genuine world-wide following.  Man City are super successful but nouveau riche, and a closer comparison.

And those are worldwide sales numbers - people on here are talking about selling millions of shirts in KSA alone.  Based on those worldwide numbers, the best you’d hope for is a couple of hundred thousands sales in a country with a population as small as KSA.  If we sell 200k shirts, we’d get about a million quid profit before tax.

A million quid is a million quid, of course. 

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

You are just ignoring the massive, massive caveat that the kingdom is a murderous and despotic regime that we are just going to be a symbol of.

The symbol started the second the takeover was completed, the colour of the away shirt is minor in the grand scheme of things

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

The symbol started the second the takeover was completed, the colour of the away shirt is minor in the grand scheme of things

Oh so it's ok then. 

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't think anyone has suggested it is a coincidence (if I've missed it then they are clearly naive), it's clearly been thought of either by Castore or the club. Fairly certain that's a unanimous position

Where the difference lies is in whether people are bothered by it, that's clearly a mixed reaction

A few posts up from mine. Likening it to our home kit being like Juventus's or Notts County's. 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It would be a pretty shite argument tbf, but I agree that that would be their argument. 

I wonder if the gospels have much in their about the fixation on hand wringing over the morality and hypocrisy of the individual, while those in power get away with being infinitely more responsible and more immoral, having created a world where its nigh on impossible for the individual to not be some form of hypocrite. 

They say very much about that yes, but that requires me to begin using words like forgiveness, love and surrender and begins to challenge the very place in our psyche where we seek out our sense of self and how we orientate ourselves in the world. And understandably people don’t tend to take too kindly to such a suggestion.

It’s not really for me to say, as it’s the business of the individual to explore, but as you rightly suggest, the world and our relations have become so absurdly complex and unstable as we grasp at beliefs and ideas and struggle against our fellow man. My cherished attitudes and opinions not yours. And nothing ever seems to leave us satiated or satisfied when we seek to find our sense of self in passing, ever changing phenomenon. Yet all the while we sit in infinite simplicity if only one should become quiet and notice.