NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

55 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Saudi shirt is minging. Both in design and morality.

Morality ... such a non existent concept nowadays. Seems to be everyone just makes up their own version of morality from what I can see. The idea at this point is completely ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The more kit sales, the bigger the future kit deals will be also. It's not just about the shirt sales themselves.

I believe the whole “x foreign fans will buy a shirt because it’s y colour” is absolutely nonsense. International fans (if they’re already into football) already have their teams locked in and in many cases it’s a combination of teams’ success/ recognizable superstar players/ number of players from their nation that tend to drive shirt sales abroad. 

Honestly doesn’t bother me at all. It’ll sell a ton over there and with the right sponsor could end up being iconic, perhaps for the wrong reasons but again, I don’t care.. I’ve made peace with all that.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Morality has always been each person's own.

Well historically the UK was a Christian nation, and that was the foundation of any kind of moral framework. Nowadays Christians are far more likely to be mocked and taken the piss out of, and so goodness knows where any kind of discussion about morality starts nowadays.

It's all about who has the most power and money and so hey ... there you have it. The Saudis have bought the club because they have all the money, and so if the club is going to benefit from all that, there's no point getting riled up over them having a kit that pays some homage to the country of the owners, because they can do as they please, and we should probably by relieved if that is the extent of what they end up doing. Quite frankly I'm not at all convinced anyone really cares about the stuff they perpetrate over in their country. Other fans just use that as a means to wind up Newcastle fans because they're worried about the football implications of it all. It's all so utterly pathetic.

However, let's say this is our away shirt and for all we dont make much directly from it but naturally it takes off in Saudi.......do we have more of an argument for a whopping great big sponsorship deal from a Saudi company ?

Seriously, the same people who object to the Saudi Newcastle's kit are the same people who hope Newcastle sponsored by Saudi's company. Like, wtf? So you are okay with Saudi (the evil people and bad morality) association as long as it brings money to NUFC? Pathetic thing to do I say.

4 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Seriously, the same people who object to the Saudi Newcastle's kit are the same people who hope Newcastle sponsored by Saudi's company. Like, wtf? So you are okay with Saudi (the evil people and bad morality) association as long as it brings money to NUFC? Pathetic thing to do I say.

Hope to be sponsored by a Saudi company ?

Or likely to be sponsored by a Saudi Company?

And objecting ? Just not my taste, could have been owned by Norways fund and I'd have thought it silly to have our away colours aligned with their flag.

45 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I believe the whole “x foreign fans will buy a shirt because it’s y colour” is absolutely nonsense. International fans (if they’re already into football) already have their teams locked in and in many cases it’s a combination of teams’ success/ recognizable superstar players/ number of players from their nation that tend to drive shirt sales abroad. 

Saudi is a relatively new country in terms of footballing status. I agree about having superstar players is a key aspect (I've already mentioned this) and I would agree about the teams having an impact also. As for you thinking it's nonsense, time will tell, obviously the owners think differently otherwise why do it. 

Edited by et tu brute

1 hour ago, madras said:

However, let's say this is our away shirt and for all we dont make much directly from it but naturally it takes off in Saudi.......do we have more of an argument for a whopping great big sponsorship deal from a Saudi company ?

That's where my thinking is based on nothing but pure guesswork and massive assumptions

If it sells well then we can justify an increase in sponsorship, which will be useful since the Premier League are trying to restrict us as much as possible

How can the PL argue we should receive as much as say Villa if we "sell" 3 times as many shirts for example

genuinely didn't even think about saudi when I seen/ heard about the white and green kits, my 1st thought was the 99/00 away, it actually looks like a training shirt we had the same season  was the same colour but had a wrap over collar like this one

1 hour ago, GavMcEl said:

genuinely didn't even think about saudi when I seen/ heard about the white and green kits, my 1st thought was the 99/00 away, it actually looks like a training shirt we had the same season  was the same colour but had a wrap over collar like this one

Not sure what your thoughts on the ownership are, but perhaps this shirt is sort of a Rorschach test. Those who are indifferent will see the shirt that we wore when we got hammered at Highfield Road that time; others will see the horrors of the Saudi regime and the slogan IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?

Edited by Hovagod

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Well historically the UK was a Christian nation, and that was the foundation of any kind of moral framework. Nowadays Christians are far more likely to be mocked and taken the piss out of, and so goodness knows where any kind of discussion about morality starts nowadays.

I'll generally try avoid the Saudi stuff re Newcastle, as many get themselves wound up by those who have questions re the whole thing, though 'people not caring what happens over there' is quite a value judgement (as a member of Amnesty I can assure that some of us actually do give a shit) - but do you actually think that you need Christianity / religion to form the basis for morality?  That's an odd point of view.

Saudi owners have shrunk Eddie Howe's summer transfer kitty from £250m to £2.5m after reading this thread.

No kit, no money. :lol:

But then again, it was just all part of their plan. They'll reverse their design, we'll play in green and white instead of white and green. Paying tribute to the Nigerian kit worn by the apple eating, bicycle-riding, mackems-slaying Shooolllaaaaa...woooooo.

Edited by nufcjb

I can understand people be awkward about it, but personally I've detached myself from our owners, and actually quite like the design, think it looks classy :undecided:

I predict it’ll be the biggest selling away shirt since the original maroon and blue hoop one in the 90’s. 

It looks smart and when the new signings start rolling, it’ll fly off the shelves both here and in the Saudi mall’s.

Guest reefatoon
7 hours ago, Jagten said:

This is almost certainly propaganda. The vast majority of the revenue comes from the initial deal, with clubs taking a very small commission therafter (see e.g. https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/how-much-money-do-football-clubs-make-from-shirt-sales/gv14e9wc0vny1vtyr0rxqqan5. Even if it was true, the damage we're doing to our suffering brand greatly outweighs it. We're in danger of becoming too toxic for any legit commercial deal. Think Nike are interested in the 24/25 version? 

Nike make the Saudi Arabia kits now, so I am sure they won’t be bothered.

6 hours ago, madras said:

That’s my thinking. Might be able to justify a more inflated sponsorship deal.

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

It's all about who has the most power and money and so hey ... there you have it. The Saudis have bought the club because they have all the money, and so if the club is going to benefit from all that, there's no point getting riled up over them having a kit that pays some homage to the country of the owners, because they can do as they please, and we should probably by relieved if that is the extent of what they end up doing. Quite frankly I'm not at all convinced anyone really cares about the stuff they perpetrate over in their country. Other fans just use that as a means to wind up Newcastle fans because they're worried about the football implications of it all. It's all so utterly pathetic.

IIRC the UK has been Pagan, Roman Catholic, and Protestant, and as we all know, wars have been started over varying interpretations of exactly the same moral guide (the bible) and England (the crusades) and others commited genocide on a religious precedent, so I'm not sure your argument about a moral framework in a positive sense holds up tbh.

I don't see anyone getting riled up tbh, mainly just people pre-empting others getting riled up with ready made arguments or pre-emptively reveling in it. There are far bigger problems with the club's ownership than a kit, I think it's shite (along with the entire connection with them) because it's another instance where some of our fans will lap it up (yes, that dreaded sportswashing), or reduce it to being meaningless, and because the people who don't like it will fixate on the aesthetic rather than the far more important stuff, but it's a waste of energy getting annoyed about that specifically.

I agree about your point about other fans feigning how much they care about it, but that doesn't mean absolutely everyone else is.

Edited by Kid Icarus