Alternate NUFC Timeline

bulivye

The problem we've had over the years is that outside the brief period of SJH chairmanship (and he just might have gotten lucky there with appointing KK). We've been poorly run by people incapable of running a football club. Poor decisions off the field have led to poor performances on it.

Turning points in recent times for me, were KK resigning (first time), Shephard and Hall jr taking charge, Dalglish appointment (though it made sense at the time, Arsenal had chosen to go with Wenger), Souness appointment of course. Ashley taking over, him not selling to the who soon would be Man City's owners (apparently). January 2015 (lack of investment in playing, lack of appointment in manger).

Oh for a time machine and some power to influence those decisions.

• 1 year later...

If the referee had not disallowed that Viduka goal v Fulham.

Shearer may have been given the job. Wonder what we'd have done without the relegation clearout.

That team needed clearing out. Big names but a fucking shite team that had been heading towards relegation for about 3 seasons.

If the referee had not disallowed that Viduka goal v Fulham.

Shearer may have been given the job. Wonder what we'd have done without the relegation clearout.

That team needed clearing out. Big names but a fucking shite team that had been heading towards relegation for about 3 seasons.

Twice we let that happen when it was staring us directly on the face.

So many bloody mistakes its hard to pick one.

If we are talking pure fiction and what if's maybe signing Asprilla when we were on a roll.. that said I can't fathom a history without Tino in a toon shirt.

Either way for me it is absolutely that 1996 collapse. Compounded by Shearer, Graham Fenton and Blackburn rubbing salt in the wound. Where would we be had we won that title. I really think a period of domination.

Wonder how different things would be right now had Rafa managed to have us safe going into the Spurs game (not sure if this was actually mathematically possible). Would the atmosphere that day have been the same? Would him staying played out in the same way anyway, and would they have given him the same assurances and control over the club if we were still on the Premier League gravy train?

We really could have been 2 or 3 up by half time in that Man U game. There were other turning points both for that season and others yet to come after that but, had we won that game we surely would gave won the league and who knows what a defeat in that match may have done to that Man U side. From that game on they were superb and only got better in the next few seasons. We could have battered them but lost, by the time we beat them 5-0 the following year the damage to us had been done and that defeat didn't affect them at all. Small margins and all that.

We really could have been 2 or 3 up by half time in that Man U game. There were other turning points both for that season and others yet to come after that but, had we won that game we surely would gave won the league and who knows what a defeat in that match may have done to that Man U side. From that game on they were superb and only got better in the next few seasons. We could have battered them but lost, by the time we beat them 5-0 the following year the damage to us had been done and that defeat didn't affect them at all. Small margins and all that.

It still hurts to this day. The vision of Cantona peeling away at the far post, as well as that save that Schmeichel made from Ferdinand are two moments frozen in history as far as NUFC are concerned. Gutting.

So many bloody mistakes its hard to pick one.

If we are talking pure fiction and what if's maybe signing Asprilla when we were on a roll.. that said I can't fathom a history without Tino in a toon shirt.

Either way for me it is absolutely that 1996 collapse. Compounded by Shearer, Graham Fenton and Blackburn rubbing salt in the wound. Where would we be had we won that title. I really think a period of domination.

don't agree with this actually

Guest neesy111

Yorkie, PK under Sir Bob still would have been brilliant.

We lost our way when we got rid of Sir Bob for Souny game over there.

That was undoubtedly the turning point. That was the most pivotal moment in our post-entertainer history. If that move had gone right, Ashley might not even be here. Still an utterly staggering decision.

Kluivert was a crock and barely interested. I doubt his career was going any other way then what it did.

Kluivert still scored 16 goals for us and some important cup one's as well.  Now we've got strikers who will be lucky to get into double figures this season.

Wonder how different things would be right now had Rafa managed to have us safe going into the Spurs game (not sure if this was actually mathematically possible). Would the atmosphere that day have been the same? Would him staying played out in the same way anyway, and would they have given him the same assurances and control over the club if we were still on the Premier League gravy train?

I wish we were on the BBC MotD gravy train.