FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

I think its a cracking Idea, under current rules Asia get 4 places, Africa get 5 and Europe get 13, that's not fair. I'm all for more games to watch during the world cup and although I didn't initially like the idea of penalty shootouts settling group games this is probably the best way to keep things fair.

It's perfectly fair. Europe tend to send 13 genuine football teams, bar 2002 when Ireland qualified. The same can not be said of Asia.

You haven't convinced me.

I think its a cracking Idea, under current rules Asia get 4 places, Africa get 5 and Europe get 13, that's not fair. I'm all for more games to watch during the world cup and although I didn't initially like the idea of penalty shootouts settling group games this is probably the best way to keep things fair.

It's perfectly fair. Europe tend to send 13 genuine football teams, bar 2002 when Ireland qualified. The same can not be said of Asia.

I've said this before, but if the purpose of the World Cup was about just having the 32 best teams, then you wouldn't invite anyone from Asia at all.  It's not.

I've said this before, but if the purpose of the World Cup was about just having the 32 best teams, then you wouldn't invite anyone from Asia at all.  It's not.

Japan & S. Korea would probably scrape in.

Japan & S. Korea would probably scrape in.

As currently constituted I have my doubts, but that's not the point. 

You have larger quotas in the non-Europe federations precisely because it allows you to bring in somebody like Uzbekistan or China or New Zealand to the big stage from time to time.  You get people in that country invested in football, the game grows, and eventually they get to the point where they deserve to be in on their own merits. 

Asians shouldn't get a place in the World Cup? I'd be embarrassed with England who couldn't get out of a group that had Iceland in it tbf.

whatever m8, no asian teams even made it out of the groups so youve got nowt to be proud of

And I'm all for that, but this can already happen with the current format. There was absolutely no need to completely devalue the first round of the competition.

Yes, but it solves the problem of those slots coming at the expense of deserving European teams though.  You get to have your cake and eat it too now.

What was wrong with it the way it was?

Politics basically. Asia/Africa wanted more places and to keep the current format you'd have to take them off Europe which would not have gone down well and that's Infantino's political home base. This way everyones happy as they all get more world cup money.

Cheers, so looking at the qualifying for Brazil 2014, the extra teams if this were the case would be:

Iceland

Ukraine

Romania

Uzbekistan

Jordan

Qatar

Oman

Iraq

Senegal

Tunisia

Egypt

Burkina Faso

Panama

Jamaica

Guatemala

New Zealand

ehmm.. :lol:

Using the current highest ranking teams as a qualifier the WC assuming no change aside from UEFA would be made up of:

AFC: Iran, Korea, Japan, Saudi, Oz, Uzbekistan, UAE, China,

CAF: Senegal, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Dr. Congo, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Ghana

CONCACAF: Costa Rica, Mexico, US, Panama, Haiti, Honduras, Curaçao (better ranked .5 AFC team)

CONMEBOL: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Peru

OFC: NZ

Curaçao and NZ being the lowest ranked.

Cheers, so looking at the qualifying for Brazil 2014, the extra teams if this were the case would be:

Iceland

Ukraine

Romania

Uzbekistan

Jordan

Qatar

Oman

Iraq

Senegal

Tunisia

Egypt

Burkina Faso