FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

I wondered how the breakdown would work. Apparently this is the likely deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

Europe - 16 teams (was 13)

Africa - 9 (5)

Asia - 8.5 (4.5)

CONCACAF - 6.5 (3.5)

South America 6 (4.5)

Oceania 1 (0.5)

Host Nation

So that's great for New Zealand [emoji38]. Asia has 47 countries so that makes sense. Europe has 55 countries, of a generally high standard, and Africa has 56, so that makes sense too. It starts getting particularly sketchy when you look at CONCACAF and South America. South America has a grand total of ten countries, so 60% of them will qualify. No wonder they're up for it. That would be like 33 teams from Europe. CONCACAF has 41 members, but 31 of those are in the Caribbean.

Eh, I don't really care. I would say the more the merrier, if I didn't loathe FIFA with a burning passion.

Nearly all the South American teams are really good though. Chile would easily qualify in any other federation

I wondered how the breakdown would work. Apparently this is the likely deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

Europe - 16 teams (was 13)

Africa - 9 (5)

Asia - 8.5 (4.5)

CONCACAF - 6.5 (3.5)

South America 6 (4.5)

Oceania 1 (0.5)

Host Nation

So that's great for New Zealand :lol:. Asia has 47 countries so that makes sense. Europe has 55 countries, of a generally high standard, and Africa has 56, so that makes sense too. It starts getting particularly sketchy when you look at CONCACAF and South America. South America has a grand total of ten countries, so 60% of them will qualify. No wonder they're up for it. That would be like 33 teams from Europe. CONCACAF has 41 members, but 31 of those are in the Caribbean.

Eh, I don't really care. I would say the more the merrier, if I didn't loathe FIFA with a burning passion.

Needs to be a knockout tournament.

Am I correct in thinking there is going to be 16 groups of three teams, and the top two advance to a knockout phase from then on?

So... if you're ranked in the bottom 16 nations (out of 48 qualifiers), then you turn up to the World Cup, get pounded twice and go home? Interesting way of growing the game...

Am I correct in thinking there is going to be 16 groups of three teams, and the top two advance to a knockout phase from then on?

So... if you're ranked in the bottom 16 nations (out of 48 qualifiers), then you turn up to the World Cup, get pounded twice and go home? Interesting way of growing the game...

Isn’t that exactly what happens now to those nations? Minus a 3rd group game.

Isn’t that exactly what happens now to those nations? Minus a 3rd group game.

Only two matches on the world stage is a pretty big step down from three matches. And if there is four teams in a group, the minnows are a chance of at least getting a point somewhere.

We have deep structural problems in our game, but this new allocation means we are almost certain to stumble to the World Cup every time. Surely at some point the question becomes "To what end?"

• 1 month later...

[emoji38] We're going to the World Cup!

[emoji38] We're gonna qualify for a World Cup!!!!

[emoji38]

:lol: Si, man. I fucking HAAAAAAAAAAAATE how much I don't care this week. I feel fucking nothing. I still don't even have a team picked. Fucking non qualifying cunts.