FIFA World Cup

Noodles

My big worry is that it now pushes the prospect of Canada getting the World Cup further away. Canada only have 3 stadiums that are suitable for a World Cup, well 4. Some of these are going to need renovating and extensions as well. I guess other countries will have a similar problem, but instead of having to gain half a dozen stadium they now probably need to add another 2-3 stadiums to that list. I think a Canada bid will now have to include baseball and CFL stadiums.

Eh? If anything it increases their chances, albeit for a shared hosting. Considering there are only a handful of countries who could single-handedly host a 48-team World Cup, it's almost guaranteed that they're going to start shooting for regionally-held tournaments (Belgium-Netherlands, South Korea-Japan, Scandinavia, etc.) A North America-hosted tournament split between the U.S., Mexico, and Canada is sure to happen, it's already been on the table for years.

Having 48 countries in the WC Finals is ridiculous - it dilutes the strength and appeal of the competition and Brian Glanville, formerly of the Times for many years, even thought it was crazy when it went to 32.

Using the current highest ranking teams as a qualifier the WC assuming no change aside from UEFA would be made up of:

AFC: Iran, Korea, Japan, Saudi, Oz, Uzbekistan, UAE, China,

CAF: Senegal, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Dr. Congo, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Ghana

CONCACAF: Costa Rica, Mexico, US, Panama, Haiti, Honduras, Curaçao (better ranked .5 AFC team)

CONMEBOL: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Peru

OFC: NZ

Curaçao and NZ being the lowest ranked.

:lol: Curacao ffs. I do think 6 is a decent number for Conmebol. We want to at least keep the qualifiers somewhat competitive. There's basically only 8 teams there since Bolivia and Venezuela are horrendous. Maybe make it 7 to give one of them a slight chance of making it. That would also make it near impossible for Brazil to ever not qualify for a World Cup.

Having 48 countries in the WC Finals is ridiculous - it dilutes the strength and appeal of the competition and Brian Glanville, formerly of the Times for many years, even thought it was crazy when it went to 32.

Clearly wrong on that front.

Guest neesy111

If they want to expand the competition worldwide then reducing teams from Europe and North and South America would be the best way of doing it.

If they want to expand the competition worldwide then reducing teams from Europe and North and South America would be the best way of doing it.

Exactly. Make qualifying tougher for it rather than the procession it tends to be for Europe's elite. Not a chance anyone will have the balls to change it though. Too much self interest. Even the FA who didn't really believe in the expansion voted for it so not to be further ostracised.

Exactly. Make qualifying tougher for it rather than the procession it tends to be for Europe's elite. Not a chance anyone will have the balls to change it though. Too much self interest. Even the FA who didn't really believe in the expansion voted for it so not to be further ostracised.

that would involve risk lowering cash from france germanys etc tv markets if things go tits up for them in qualifying and FIFA can't have that.

Guest neesy111

that would involve risk lowering cash from france germanys etc tv markets if things go tits up for them in qualifying and FIFA can't have that.

The money from those markets will dwarf from what they'll get in the far east soon.

• 1 year later...

I wondered how the breakdown would work. Apparently this is the likely deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/48-team-world-cup-fifa-plan-2026

Europe - 16 teams (was 13)

Africa - 9 (5)

Asia - 8.5 (4.5)

CONCACAF - 6.5 (3.5)

South America 6 (4.5)

Oceania 1 (0.5)

Host Nation

So that's great for New Zealand :lol:. Asia has 47 countries so that makes sense. Europe has 55 countries, of a generally high standard, and Africa has 56, so that makes sense too. It starts getting particularly sketchy when you look at CONCACAF and South America. South America has a grand total of ten countries, so 60% of them will qualify. No wonder they're up for it. That would be like 33 teams from Europe. CONCACAF has 41 members, but 31 of those are in the Caribbean.

Eh, I don't really care. I would say the more the merrier, if I didn't loathe FIFA with a burning passion.

My favourite part of the WC is watching minnows in the group stages, so I'm all for it.

The expanded Euros were awful IMO - an expanded WC will be even worse

I loved the expanded Euros. I wanted 32 teams in it.

My favourite part of the WC is watching minnows in the group stages, so I'm all for it.

Cool - I just loved the old 16 team format with 2 groups being groups of death

Europe - 16 teams (was 13)

Africa - 9 (5)

Asia - 8.5 (4.5)

CONCACAF - 6.5 (3.5)

South America 6 (4.5)

Oceania 1 (0.5)

Host Nation

So that's great for New Zealand :lol:. Asia has 47 countries so that makes sense. Europe has 55 countries, of a generally high standard, and Africa has 56, so that makes sense too. It starts getting particularly sketchy when you look at CONCACAF and South America. South America has a grand total of ten countries, so 60% of them will qualify. No wonder they're up for it. That would be like 33 teams from Europe. CONCACAF has 41 members, but 31 of those are in the Caribbean.

I think there needs to be a balance between size of continent and actual quality of the teams. IYAM South America could be given more than 6.

For 2018, 6 South American teams would be:

Brazil*

Uruguay*

Argentina*

Colombia*

Peru*

Chile

with Paraguay, Ecuador, Bolivia and Venezuela failing to make the cut.

In Asia, 8.5 teams sees the following teams qualify:

Iran*

South Korea*

Japan*

Saudi Arabia*

Australia*

Syria

Uzbekistan

UAE

Iraq/China to play qualifier

CONCACAF:

Mexico*

Costa Rica*

Panama*

Honduras

USA

Trinidad and Tobago

Guatamala/Haiti/Canada to play qualifier

Not sure if you've worked out my point yet, but those additional North America/Asia teams that could get in? All fucking shite.

Cool - I just loved the old 16 team format with 2 groups being groups of death

I hate how three teams can advance from a group, hence why I'd rather have 32 than 24. But again, I'm a sucker for watching minnows on a major stage. I feel like the majority of people are not :lol:

Basically why I'd much rather have 64 teams in a World Cup than 48.

:lol: Oh I know, but I can live with that to make it more of a "World" cup.

My issue is that we'll have groups like: Germany, Chile, UAE, where both Germany and Chile will obliterate UAE and effectively qualify from winning that single game.

I'd almost be happier if they set out a slow roll-out plan. Like those numbers are the end-game. So right now we marginally increase Asia/COMBEBNEBAL numbers, and they'll slowly increase over the years. So by World Cup 2142, Haiti can make the World Cup.