New Board of Directors - Charnley, McClaren, Carr & Moncur

Nobody

Newcastle United has today (Wednesday, 10th June) announced changes to its Board of Directors.

Head coach Steve McClaren, chief scout Graham Carr and club ambassador Bob Moncur have today been appointed to the Board, joining managing director Lee Charnley.

Mike Ashley has relinquished his position on the board along with finance director John Irving, who is leaving the Club.

Newcastle United becomes the only club in the Premier League to have its head coach on its Board of Directors, a move which the Club feels adds significant strength to it.

Managing director Lee Charnley commented: "This is a very positive step forward for the Club and I am delighted that Steve, Graham and Bob will join me on the board.

"It was particularly important for us that the head coach also became a board member in order to gain a full understanding and appreciation for the Club and its operations as a whole, not just the football side. In Steve we have an individual who embraced that responsibility.

"Graham and Bob's passion for the Club is beyond question and I believe given the collective skills, knowledge and experience, together, we are incredibly strong.

"Whilst, of course, we all have our individual primary duties, there is a huge common desire for the Club as a whole to move forward and succeed."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20150610/club-statement-new-board-of-directors_2281670_4783052

It's the most interesting thing to happen in ages, tbh.

Since Ashley arrived he has never had football-orientated men running the ship. The closest we got to having someone with footballing pedigree on the board was that fucking idiot Kinnear.

You can't trust them, but the optimist in me wonders if Ashley actually can't bare another relegation battle - has dropped his corporate guard slightly - and has buckled to the idea that we need real football men making big decisions.

I feel okay about it. It's a shame about Moncur, though, because he's always sided with the previous board's mentality.

Since Ashley arrived he has never had football-orientated men running the ship. The closest we got to having someone with footballing pedigree on the board was that fucking idiot Kinnear.

You can't trust them, but the optimist in me wonders if Ashley actually can't bare another relegation battle - has dropped his corporate guard slightly - and has buckled to the idea that we need real football men making big decisions.

I feel okay about it. It's a shame about Moncur, though, because he's always sided with the previous board's mentality.

So they've probably just given him and Thumbhead the most power, and they'll continue to do Ashley's bidding. Adding Carr and McClaren will just be for show, another way to lie to the supporters.

Guest Howaythetoon

McClaren is only on the board so he can't do a KK when they inevitably buy players he has no real say in, after all he is on the board and knows the score.

So they've probably just given him and Thumbhead the most power, and they'll continue to do Ashley's bidding. Adding Carr and McClaren will just be for show, another way to lie to the supporters.

That's one very plausible scenario.

Don't really know what to think of this. Charnley certainly needed some football perspective and as such is outnumbered 3-1 now. But Moncur's continually politically correct statements suggest to me he is spineless, maybe he is very astute though. If he'd been negative previously he wouldn't be in this position now.

McClaren is only on the board so he can't do a KK when they inevitably buy players he has no real say in, after all he is on the board and knows the score.

At least this move suggests there's going to be more clarity between board and pitch. The muddy waters over transfer policy was a constant thorn during the Pardew era and an endless source of speculation. McClaren's new role gives everyone a bit more clarity; the players included.

But.

That's assuming it's not all for show - which isn't unlikely. If this board shake-up is just more bullshit, it'll all go seriously bad. They only appoint people from their own catchment (Pardew, Kinnear, Wise, Mort, Llambias, Charnley and - apparently - McClaren) - and I doubt there's an endless conveyor belt. So Schteve is one of their last throws of the dice if they want to continue doing it exclusively 'their way'. They've got to get this one right or it will finally implode.

Director of football to come in shirley?

That's Carr, isn't it? Head Scout & Director of Football. Love how the communications from the club has increased, everything feels so clear after this announcement :thup: