New Board of Directors - Charnley, McClaren, Carr & Moncur

Nobody

There's also a strong possibility that once McClaren got his toe in the door, he and Carr have collectively insisted on changes of this nature. Which is infinitely preferable to Pardew and his pathetic acceptance of the board doing whatever they liked.

As often is the case it's an unorthodox decision. Most of the time Ashley thinks he's the cleverest man in football it turns to shit. I can't force myself to see any positives at this point, it would take years of sustained progress to even begin to turn me around.

I feel so cynical about everything to do with the club that I probably won't even know until August whether I actually want us to win or not.

I've never liked McClaren as a man or a manager but tbh I don't think it would have mattered if Remi Garde or Pep Guardiola had walked through the door. I'm that beaten down that I just want Ashley to fuck off and I have little feeling for the whole thing beyond that. Feels shite but I can't just turn it back on like a tap.

Im guessing Irving will be getting replaced and that person will be appointed to the board too.

Christ man, how many people do you want on the board? Leeds & Portsmouth and that...

Whether they are friends or not, it would be good if McClaren and Carr can actually forge a professional working relationship and share some of the same ideas.

That way we don't buy midgets for hoofball, not exactly positive it will be though.

Im guessing Irving will be getting replaced and that person will be appointed to the board too.

Christ man, how many people do you want on the board? Leeds & Portsmouth and that...

Shirley we need someone of a financial nature on the board no?  ;)

So when McClaren turned the job down towards the end of last season are we assuming he wasn't offered a place on the board then? Since then Ashley made that Sky interview before the last match. I'm hoping something really has changed but it's usually smoke and mirrors with this lot. Moncur is clearly there to be a voice to the fans to get behind the club; I just hope he has the balls to make say it as it is. I've no doubt he loves the club, used to see him in Berlins with Spike Rawlings most Friday nights years and years ago and bumped into him in the Ramblas when we lost 3-1 years later. He now has an opportunity to make a change.

Or does he?

I'm a much bigger fan of this than of McLaren's appointment as manager. He has the kind of experience and pedigree that would be useful in the club's administration. Such is the dearth of football expertise within the club...

Moncur's presence there explains to any people still wondering why former players always seem to be falling over each other to lick Ashley & Co.'s boots.

Seems like it's very much a move to make sure McClaren is on side and can't object to the actions of anyone above.

sounds to me like they know charnley knows fucking nothing but is cheap and fills a seat so rather than employ anyone professional to do the same job they've dragged people into it to contribute and basically make the decisions for charnley to go begging to ashley for the money when it needs spending

Seems like it's very much a move to make sure McClaren is on side and can't object to the actions of anyone above.

sounds to me like they know charnley knows fucking nothing but is cheap and fills a seat so rather than employ anyone professional to do the same job they've dragged people into it to contribute and basically make the decisions for charnley to go begging to ashley for the money when it needs spending

Agree with this. Rather than seeing this as 'promoting' anyone, they've basically just pulled charnley down to everyone else's level.

So when McClaren turned the job down towards the end of last season are we assuming he wasn't offered a place on the board then?

I'm just assuming he thought he'd still be derby manager

It's a bit peculiar. Real power will remain within the Ashley - Charnley relationship, but McClaren being on the Board might offer him some reassurance that the discussions that he has with Carr on football matters are reflected in discussions within the Board. There have been suggestions that Carr, Pardew and Lambias/Kinnear/Charnley haven't always been pulling in the same direction, so this may be a way of addressing that.

Of course, the weak point of the system is Ashley being detached from the decision-making, when in reality he wields ultimate power. Mistakes have been made previously when Ashley has intervened suddenly in unhelpful ways - particularly in the appointment of Kinnear as DOF, which set us back a couple of years. From what Ashley has said, he has a firm intention of staying behind clear boundaries, and maybe he's learned his lesson. But we'll see.

If what Ashley says is correct, and we have some surplus cash to spend, he won't need to be hovering over the Board's shoulder so much. While he was trying to - in his view - straighten out the financial ship, he probably felt he had to keep tighter control.

Reckon it's a board in name only, and veto powers or final say goes to Charnley and ultimately Ashley. Not much different from how it worked in the past with Llambias/Charnley, Pardew and Carr.

Guest Roger Kint

Reckon it's a board in name only, and veto powers or final say goes to Charnley and ultimately Ashley. Not much different from how it worked in the past with Llambias/Charnley, Pardew and Carr.

This basically. Its more worrying that the only two(at a push) people in the club who will be charged with actually dealing with agents/players are the two who are proven to be shit at it. Would feel a lot better if we brought in someone with experience to show Charnley how utterly hopeless he is rather than increase his responsibilities.

Just so I understand this - they explicitly hire a "Head Coach", who'll have his players bought for him, and then appoint that head coach to the committee buying the players?

Seems legit.

Actually, it seems almost exactly like the "traditional English manager" situation...

He'll just sit in on any discussions pertaining to overall club finances etc. which of course influence transfer budgets.

Seems to make sense to me, as he will have more clarity on the clubs finances and how they are looking to allocate them, and can make a contribution to those discussions.

If anybody thinks this is to improve things they're mad. It's an exercise in damage limitation for Ashley and nothing else. If things go wrong he has targets all lined up so that he can deflect the blame onto others. If McClaren complains about the squad he'll be reminded about his part in it. Ashley will set the rules and his board will work to them. It looks like another reaction to Ashleyout.com.