New Board of Directors - Charnley, McClaren, Carr & Moncur

Nobody

Interesting. Hope McClaren has the balls to deal with the internal politics.

Him being mates with Carr means that it may be 2 vs 2 in the boardroom. That's better than 4 vs 0.

Interesting. Hope McClaren has the balls to deal with the internal politics.

Him being mates with Carr means that it may be 2 vs 2 in the boardroom. That's better than 4 vs 0.

I see this much more as a way to make sure he can't say shit when they go and sign and sell whoever they damn please. "2-2? Oh well, Charnley has the deciding vote anyway, so fuck you." Basically making sure he can't quit over transfers.

I liked the idea at first, but having thought about it a bit, it all seems very dodgy and not like a smart move at all.

On the face of it, it seems like a positive move. It could be a change in tack that you could even attach to notions of football-related intentions; but the unconventional nature of it all only reaffirms suspicions of the opposite.

Got a funny feeling this might work.

First thought was eh? But having McLaren on the board should hopefully stop the bullshit we were fed by Pardew about players coming in.  It just depends how much influence he can wield in there. Having Carr there is surely a plus, but I can't help thinking Charnley will have the last word on everything, then scuttle back to his fat fuck of an employer like the lapdog he is.

Don't know what to make of this at all...

With the fact Carr and McClaren are friends, it makes me wonder if this is another "job for the boys" appointment.

Ashley is fond of Carr, Carr and McClaren are friends...

Charnley is Ashley's yes man and Moncur has spent the previous months cuddling all of them.

Then add into the mix McClaren is being in all his favoured staff.

It reminds me of a local nightclub, where the bloke who bought it employed all of his mates as promoters, bar staff, doormen etc.

It closed down after 5 months.

Never seen a board without a finance guy on it before. Is suspect this is a 'football operations' board - the budgets, etc will all be set, presumably, by MASH holdings?

We have a similar setup, where a committee of three people run the football side of things, and report to the board proper which takes care of finance, marketing, PR, etc...

This is far more intriguing than the appointment itself.

On the negative side it seemingly makes McClaren unsackable, and asks questions about the jobs for the boys nature of most of Ashley's tenure. It could also unravel very quickly and messily if they don't all see eye to eye on club matters.

On the other hand it's got to be a step forward if it means experienced football people are involved in making decisions about playing staff and the way the club approaches the different competitions. We've missed that massively up to now.

It could mean nothing, but I think it's either going to be a big success and actually move us forward as a club or go to shit in spectacular style. Either way it's better than the bland plodding along doing fuck all they've been more than content with since promotion.

There's also a strong possibility that once McClaren got his toe in the door, he and Carr have collectively insisted on changes of this nature. Which is infinitely preferable to Pardew and his pathetic acceptance of the board doing whatever they liked.

There's also a strong possibility that once McClaren got his toe in the door, he and Carr have collectively insisted on changes of this nature. Which is infinitely preferable to Pardew and his pathetic acceptance of the board doing whatever they liked.

As often is the case it's an unorthodox decision. Most of the time Ashley thinks he's the cleverest man in football it turns to shit. I can't force myself to see any positives at this point, it would take years of sustained progress to even begin to turn me around.

As often is the case it's an unorthodox decision. Most of the time Ashley thinks he's the cleverest man in football it turns to shit. I can't force myself to see any positives at this point, it would take years of sustained progress to even begin to turn me around.

Agree with this. Though I do think getting a finance man and Ashley out for three footballing men is good, I just wish one of them wasn't the head coach, the other the head scout and the third the head arselicker.