Charlie Austin

HawK

That's the shit thing about signing Austin, we'll just sell Cisse so it isn't much of an addition.

Austin, Mitrovic & Ayoze would be enough to go in to the season with. Cisse would be an added bonus, but he's shown he cannot be relied on as a main striker. If I had to choose one it would be Austin all day.

We won't keep Cisse if we sign Austin.

I doubt it too and question whether its an upgrade, but I think we could offload Cisse at very short notice if Austin goes close to the deadline. Which means that we can wait for QPR to lower the price. Other clubs interested in him mightn't have that option.

The all-too-imaginable Ashley-era mistake would be to sell Cisse first and then fail to buy Austin or anyone else.

Guest Gomez

Does anyone else think it'd be strange to spend the best part of £30 million on two similar players? Would they even play together? Makes me wonder if it isn't all the typical "WE TRIED" smokescreen.

Shame we couldn't have gone after squad depth like this in 2012 when we were actually in a position to capitalise on  in.

Does anyone else think it'd be strange to spend the best part of £30 million on two similar players? Would they even play together? Makes me wonder if it isn't all the typical "WE TRIED" smokescreen.

Shame we couldn't have gone after squad depth like this in 2012 when we were actually in a position to capitalise on  in.

Agree, exactly why i don't want it to happen. Would much rather see a different type of player come in.

Rolan seems far more plausible than Austin. Can't see us playing with both Austin and Mitrovic on the pitch. Rolan could fit in a number of different places though and brings some much needed pace into out attack.

That is unless we get both Austin and Rolan and shift cisse out. Which seems highly unlikely. Every team needs a decent pool of 4/5 strikers to compete on all fronts, an unknown concept for us recently.

That's the shit thing about signing Austin, we'll just sell Cisse so it isn't much of an addition.

We'll sell Cisse wether we sign Austin or not IMO, as long as we get a decent offer.  Two years left on his deal, won't want to let him get to only one year left.

Rolan seems far more plausible than Austin. Can't see us playing with both Austin and Mitrovic on the pitch. Rolan could fit in a number of different places though and brings some much needed pace into out attack.

That is unless we get both Austin and Rolan and shift cisse out. Which seems highly unlikely. Every team needs a decent pool of 4/5 strikers to compete on all fronts, an unknown concept for us recently.

I agree that Rolan ( from the little i have seen) is a better fit, although i don't think he's good enough. Maybe harsh based on youtube scouting :lol: but he doesn't look any better than Gouffran was.

The whole "purples" system with an automatic first choice for every position and an understudy/reserve behind each one was/is incredibly flawed. It ignores injuries, and your purples have no competition for places,  so half your purples play like pinks.

Ignoring the obvious undroppable star players, and I honestly thing we don't have any other than maybe Janmaat and Kruul, you really need a squad of at least 18 players who can realistically offer competition for each place.

There is no reason given the money available in the league that we should not have Mitrovic, Cisse, Perez and Austin as our available strikers, complemented by De Jong. We should be selling Gouffran and Rivière, not Cisse. It's probably the same in terms of wages.

The whole "purples" system with an automatic first choice for every position and an understudy/reserve behind each one was/is incredibly flawed. It ignores injuries, and your purples have no competition for places,  so half your purples play like pinks.

Ignoring the obvious undroppable star players, and I honestly thing we don't have any other than maybe Janmaat and Kruul, you really need a squad of at least 18 players who can realistically offer competition for each place.

There is no reason given the money available in the league that we should not have Mitrovic, Cisse, Perez and Austin as our available strikers, complemented by De Jong. We should be selling Gouffran and Rivière, not Cisse. It's probably the same in terms of wages.

This would be nice if it wasn't obvious that we would play with both Mitrovic and Austin(which probably wouldn't work anyway), drop a more deserving midfield player leading to the team to be completely unbalanced for moar strikers.

Or maybe we try and not be as rigid and predictable and pick a team based on tactics and form and the oppositions weaknesses. One up front might be the best choice with some teams, two first choice strikers will be better with others.

Or maybe we try and not be as rigid and predictable and pick a team based on tactics and form and the oppositions weaknesses. One up front might be the best choice with some teams, two first choice strikers will be better with others.

Two strikers with different skillsets yeah, no one should be stupid enough is to play with two strikers who do practically all their work inside the box. Besides it's quite hopeful to think this would happen, if we spend 10m+ on a player he's starting all the time it's amazing how 3 signings make people forget who the owner is.

There is no way in hell that Mitrovic or Austin should he sign spend any sort of time watching games from the bench, i wouldn't be against it otherwise but it's clearly not gonna to happen like that.

I agree Ashley wouldn't be signing a player for that kind of money with the intention of him being anything but a first team regular.  But in the end its down to the head coach who plays.  If that wasn't the case we'd never have seen Cabella, Yanga-Mbiwa, Ben Arfa ect left out so often.

I still think it's incredibly optimistic to think we're going to suddenly be good enough as a team to be able to choose to leave a proven goalscorer out (or not sign one). Demanding our strikers be 'compatible' and need to be able to form an effective partnership of poaching and link up play is going way beyond where we are at the moment IMO. The more the merrier if you ask me.

Doing get me wrong, I know it's being incredibly optimistic, I always get that way in the close season. Especially with no Pardew. But two box based strikers might not be so daft, if you're also starting with Aaron's and Cabella for instance. Shearer and Ferdinand didn't too badly with Gillespie and Ginola.

Wouldn't work every game obviously, just a bit tired of seeing us start games against weaker opposition as if we're playing Chelsea away every game.

We all know that Dave but whilst not accepting it as right, it's where we're at with these twats.

Nah I mean Mole implying he wouldn't want Austin because he doesn't see him and Mitrovic/Cisse making a partnership, that's what I'm on about.