The Coaching Staff

NUFC

Definitely more excited about this than about Steve McClaren being appointed head coach. Considering the fact that this Cathro bloke appears to be very ambitious and wants to move into management asap, could it be that there is an understanding there between the parties that he is here to learn of Steve McClaren who will make way for him in a few years time, possibly heading upstairs as a Graham Carr replacement. It appears extremely unlikely for an outfit unable to even plan a transfer window to be this forward thinking all of a sudden, but from what I’ve read about Cathro he just doesn’t appear the type who would come here to play second fiddle for long.

It would be nice to think so, depending on how things go. The guys still only 28 which is too young to be a manager/head coach imo, certainly in the top flight of English football anyway. He can be assistant for for 5 years, still only be 33 and then take over the head coach role.

In fairness, the club have stressed previously they believe in continuity. If we can get ourselves into a position where we have capable people in our backroom staff who can be promoted and develop an ongoing footballing philosiphy that would be ideal from my point of view. I do however, get the impression he's looking at us as a stepping stone to take a head coach role somewhere else in the future. He seems like he wants management fairly soon, and may not be willing to wait 5 years.

We excel at being used as a stepping stone.

I can't see him becoming a manager before the age of 30 unless he's willing to drop down quite a few levels. Clubs just don't go for it.

Yep, could probably land a gig in the lower end of the Championship or in Scotland but that's about it if he wants to manage in the UK now. As this will probably be McClaren's last managerial appointment, I could certainly see Cathro being groomed to take over in a few years if he's willing to wait.

Well this does sound a bit inspiring compared to the last few years of utter shit we've had to put up with. I'm well aware of the almost continual club behaviour of turning in any glimmer of positivity into a disaster but one lives in hope.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33102675

Judging by the success of the Dundee Utd youth and then what he achieved as assistant in Portugal and Valencia, he's very talented. Not sure if family reasons mean he will be staying in Dundee now though. He's younger than me ffs.  :lol:

Didn't expect that to actually come off. Most positive appointment from the club in fucking years I'd say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33102675

Judging by the success of the Dundee Utd youth and then what he achieved as assistant in Portugal and Valencia, he's very talented. Not sure if family reasons mean he will be staying in Dundee now though. He's younger than me ffs.  :lol:

Didn't expect that to actually come off. Most positive appointment from the club in fucking years I'd say.

Something must have gone wrong here like, they were probably trying to dig Gordon McQueen or Frank MacAvennie out of retirement or something :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Does pre-season not start today?

..and they havent announced any coaches.  So I assume McClaren is in the gym leading the fitness tests himself :thup:

Today will just be medical checks and gym stuff as usual tbh. Not that it isnt a farcical situation mind

I doubt they have to wait for a official confirmation to the press/fans before they're allowed to start work.  Still ridiculous that they haven't bothered to officially announce them though.