England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

This system would look more interesting with a slight tweak to a 3-5-2 instead, and drop Rice for Grealish. Will also allow Philips to play a role more similar to the one he has at Leeds with two other central midfielders pushing forward ahead of him, and giving him more space to facilitate from deep.

---------- Philips --------------

--- Mount ------- Grealish ---

------ Kane --- Rashford ------

You can't play two defensive midfielders with 5 at the back. Makes no sense. Stupid from Southgate.

Yeah, against Belgium I thought it was just due to their attacking threat.

To do it against Denmark is pretty strange to say the least.

You can't play two defensive midfielders with 5 at the back. Makes no sense. Stupid from Southgate.

Yeah, against Belgium I thought it was just due to their attacking threat.

To do it against Denmark is pretty strange to say the least.

Yep agreed. Why are we so scared of Denmark FFS?

Southgate is obviously not the ideal manager, but I think it's also possible that most of our players are overrated. I'd say Harry Kane warrants his acclaim, Sterling maybe. However for the most part, these players are made to look far better by their foreign teammates (or the guidance from their foreign managers) in their respective club teams. For example Sancho regularly gets spoken about like he's Suarez or Messi, but do many actually watch the Bundesliga or do we just believe the hype? We regularly hear about Trent being one of the best right backs in the world, maybe in the future he can be but he's young, prone to errors and not a very good defender.

We see all of these names in the squad and expect to see a world class team, I feel like they're just not as good as what we think.

This system would look more interesting with a slight tweak to a 3-5-2 instead, and drop Rice for Grealish. Will also allow Philips to play a role more similar to the one he has at Leeds with two other central midfielders pushing forward ahead of him, and giving him more space to facilitate from deep.

I think we should go for a 433 with the holding midfielder available to fill the 3rd CB role, or at least protecting the back 2 enough to allow the full backs to push on as if in central 3.

Phillips

Mount    Henderson

Sterling                Rashford

Kane

Can obviously rotate platers in there depending on availability. Leaves room for Sancho, Grealish, Calvert Lewin etc. We have plenty of players to make that front 3 work. Central 3 maybe not so much. If we had an English Kante i think its be our best formation given our players. Nit really seen much if Phillips so jumping in the bandwagon a bit there.

I think we should go for a 433 with the holding midfielder available to fill the 3rd CB role, or at least protecting the back 2 enough to allow the full backs to push on as if in central 3.

Phillips

Mount    Henderson

Kane

Can obviously rotate platers in there depending on availability. Leaves room for Sancho, Grealish, Calvert Lewin etc. We have plenty of players to make that front 3 work. Central 3 maybe not so much. If we had an English Kante i think its be our best formation given our players. Nit really seen much if Phillips so jumping in the bandwagon a bit there.

Yeah, that would work too no doubt.

My suggestion was based off of if Southgate wanted to stick with a back 3.

Ultimately though, I think England should use 3 in central midfield.

The likes of Mount, Grealish, Henderson, Philips, Maddison, Barkley, Foden, Ward-Prowse and Winks can all feature in those central midfield positions.

Phillips

Mount    Henderson

Kane

Yeah, that would work too no doubt.

My suggestion was based off of if Southgate wanted to stick with a back 3.

Ultimately though, I think England should use 2 in central midfield.

The likes of Mount, Grealish, Henderson, Philips, Maddison, Barkley, Foden, Ward-Prowse and Winks can all feature in those central midfield positions.

Barnes too I reckon

Southgate should be under pressure, but he won’t be.

Down to 10 men for most of the game and unlucky to be losing 1-0 against a decent team. Beat the number 1 ranked team in the world the other day. World Cup semi, Nations League semi. I think that's a bit harsh :lol: