England

Yorkie

On 11/07/2024 at 16:22, Ben said:

I put a holiday in on our sage syste for Monday last night as soon as we scored the second goal, in the comments section I wrote "it's coming home" 

My boss denied it and wrote "not for you it's not" in the comments.

He approved it this morning with a daft smile on his face.

Hilarious!

On 11/07/2024 at 13:38, Yorkie said:

I'm not much different tbh. I'm a bit sad about it; I was quite emotional after we beat Denmark in the last semis and felt very much like a fan. I was gutted when Italy beat us, too. But I felt next to nothing against Switzerland and last night, while I enjoyed it, I didn't truly feel it. 

The circumstances are very different, I guess. Euro 2020 was during COVID and the whole tournament was seemingly giving everyone a massive lift, and there was still a sense of surprise that we did so well. Meanwhile, Newcastle didn't exist and I was desperate to find any team to cling to. 

Now: the expectations are different; we're three international tournaments in four years; the sense of England games being national events is a bit desensitised with sheer amount of football on; the novelty of being a team that - for instance - can win penalty shootouts - has gone; and we've not been an inspiring team to watch 95% of the time. I'm looking forward to Sunday and expect to feel pretty up for it cos it's a huge deal, but thus far I've felt somewhat neutral. 

Totally get this.

I think it's the following factors for me.

The domestic season has been a slog - Caring about NUFC is hard work and last season seemed to last an eternity. I can only imagine how it felt for the players.

My love of football is generally declining - While support of my club is still riding a post-takeover wave of enthusiasm, my excitement for football is generally declining. PSR, VAR, the general  capitalisation of the game. Put it all in the bin.

This tournament has been a bit dull - Admittedly it hasn't helped that I've largely caught the shit games and missed the limited amount of entertaining ones.

I'm not particularly patriotic - pretty self explanatory. I'd also say the soundbites from the players hasn't helped, constantly trying to gaslight fans and using whatsboutery to deflect from shit performances.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be pleased if England win, but I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Totally get this.

I think it's the following factors for me.

The domestic season has been a slog - Caring about NUFC is hard work and last season seemed to last an eternity. I can only imagine how it felt for the players.

My love of football is generally declining - While support of my club is still riding a post-takeover wave of enthusiasm, my excitement for football is generally declining. PSR, VAR, the general  capitalisation of the game. Put it all in the bin.

This tournament has been a bit dull - Admittedly it hasn't helped that I've largely caught the shit games and missed the limited amount of entertaining ones.

I'm not particularly patriotic - pretty self explanatory. I'd also say the soundbites from the players hasn't helped, constantly trying to gaslight fans and using whatsboutery to deflect from shit performances.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be pleased if England win, but I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

This is very similar to how I feel about everything too. I have a feeling I'll become increasingly detached from NUFC too if we are to move stadium which I can absolutely foresee.

It's all about money men now. Perhaps it always has been but to a lesser degree. The entertainment business is surpassing the sport. Communities replaced with consumers.

3 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Absolutely pathetic to have the final on a Sunday.

Don't mind it being on a Sunday, but why so fucking late? Gonna be such a long day just waiting until kick off. 

If we do win I’ll be happiest for Gareth then Saka after that. I hate the way he sets us up to play, it’s the opposite of how I want us to play but he’s a good person and that’s more important. Good luck and please move on after the Euros, preferably to Man U

Echo what people said about the last euros meaning a bit more, partially I think as nufc was at such a low ebb then so it was nice to get behind something.  I even went to the Czech game although it felt very weird being in a 1/4 full Wembley so the atmosphere inside wasn't great.  

27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Incredible level of pettiness. I'm here for it...

GSUB2_nXkAAc1-J.jpeg

Ironic given the pisshead Scots are about the worst of the bunch in terms of tourism. No teeth, no manners and about as much idea of what tapas is as Rab C Nesbit.

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Ironic given the pisshead Scots are about the worst of the bunch in terms of tourism. No teeth, no manners and about as much idea of what tapas is as Rab C Nesbit.

I think Catholic Spain loves a merry orange march in Benidorm 😱

BBC or ITV then? Not sure I can cope with another 90 minutes of Shearer's commentary really - tremendous striker, awful with a mic. Could go 5 Live commentary maybe? Puns will be off the dial too - SAINT OLMO IS ON FIRE TONIGHT!!11! etc

21 minutes ago, midds said:

BBC or ITV then? Not sure I can cope with another 90 minutes of Shearer's commentary really - tremendous striker, awful with a mic. Could go 5 Live commentary maybe? Puns will be off the dial too - SAINT OLMO IS ON FIRE TONIGHT!!11! etc

I'll take Shearer's commentary over Lee Dixon's commentary any day if the week.

So BBC then.

32 minutes ago, midds said:

The 5Live commentary has Sutton on. Choose your SAS poison. Neither is a winner.