England

Yorkie

25 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Foden and Bellingham spent most of last night getting in each other's way. Our tactic of playing in straight lines and hoping one of the forwards can pull off a world class piece of skill is incredibly frustrating.

Watched the under 21's and they seem to actually have a way of playing.

I hope Southgate goes to Man Utd in the summer, if he cant get a tune out of this England generation imagine what he'll do to Man Utd's shower of shite.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Fair point, however if the board are getting twitchy and he has the offer of the England job he might feel its time to go. I think the days of international managers been old fellas taking the job as a swansong are over. I want Howe to stay but I think he could be tempted to go.

I still think England is a job for a non-elite manager, not someone at the top of their game. 

Think it’s a bit early for that. They’ve barely begun their careers for England and are still developing as players. Both had some high quality moments the other day. They’re very different players to Lampard and Gerrard 

7 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Foden and Bellingham are the new Gerrard and Lampard for England, seen as too good to leave out but we can’t find the right formation to accommodate both.

Southgate can't. A better manager will. Just play Foden on the left :lol:

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

Suspect it will be but I am not sure. A lot of the coaches coming through like Potter seem very much systems managers with excellent tactical knowledge etc etc but you just don't get the time with the players at international level to drill them into a particular model. This is why Southgate has done fine, he's well short on the tactics and it's shown him up a bit and yet he's got us to a final and reasonably close another. Look at Potter's struggle to get Chelsea playing how he wanted, and by internal accounts it wasn't like he was disliked by players even it just never clicked. I'd be looking for an astute in game tactical manager as an upgrade, and frankly if it is an English manager (and I am about as far from a tubthumping engerland type as you can get), which i think in an ideal world would be just as the players are all english kinda makes sense if we are doing this national teams thing, I just can't see any candidates now? Potter I think wouldn't thrive in international set-up, Howe makes more sense but he wants his players super fit, he would then have to pick from teams that play that style, City and Arsenal players would be fine but would any others?

Arsenal players in particular would find any excuse not to play :lol:

I do like Potter but I think international management is such a hard judge.

The Brighton team he turned from being plodders under Hughton to possession based was brilliant but it would have taken him a whole pre season to train that.

International management you get barely any time to get your philosophy across with all your players available and then you don't see them again for months after

I would give it to Mourinho. I expect Southgate to stay until he’s sacked though, and I don’t see him getting sacked unless we get an Iceland type humiliation.

Mourinho at this stage in his career would be a pretty solid fit all for the England job, and his style on the pitch suits international tournaments well.

He wouldn’t be working with players day in day out either so you might squeeze a bit more longevity out of him as well [emoji38]

33 minutes ago, Nine said:

Mourinho at this stage in his career would be a pretty solid fit all for the England job, and his style on the pitch suits international tournaments well.

He wouldn’t be working with players day in day out either so you might squeeze a bit more longevity out of him as well [emoji38]

This.

Think he’d make a great tournament manager. Not sure players can hack him for a full 10 month season these days or him them. 

3 hours ago, vexred said:

Potter would be a huge improvement on Southgate. 

What's that based on? The one time Potter stepped up to a big job he had a nightmare whereas Southgate is the most successful England manager in generations. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

What's that based on? The one time Potter stepped up to a big job he had a nightmare whereas Southgate is the most successful England manager in generations. 

The Brighton job is still a big job. He failed at Chelsea, but it was a club in transition and a difficult place to achieve success. He's definitely had a better domestic managerial career than Southgate. 

16 hours ago, vexred said:

The Brighton job is still a big job. He failed at Chelsea, but it was a club in transition and a difficult place to achieve success. He's definitely had a better domestic managerial career than Southgate. 

Southgate was garbage at club level, but has done well with England....admittedly some of this is due to the fact that he's had the choice of the best bunch of English players I've seen in my lifetime.

I'd still love to see the disaster he would make at Man U. It would be a thing of beauty for every non-Man U fan

14 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Southgate was garbage at club level, but has done well with England....admittedly some of this is due to the fact that he's had the choice of the best bunch of English players I've seen in my lifetime.

I'd still love to see the disaster he would make at Man U. It would be a thing of beauty for every non-Man U fan

Aye, if the rumours have some truth, then it's insane how much international football can overhype a manager 

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

They don't.

Of course they don't, no club in their right mind would go anywhere near him. He's absolute dogshit.