England

Yorkie

That second half is possibly the worst managerial performance I've ever seen. No plan, no tactics, no subs, the wrong team, no organisation, no set penis', just nothing.

Pellegrini isn't the right man for it, just let Yaya Toure get away with that shite vs Real.

Guest firetotheworks

English managers are worse than English players. So much arrogance they miss the basics. Please be Pardew so I can ignore this s*** forever. I will settle for Championship with Benitez #Paella@BenisHouse

English managers don't get a chance at top teams and are therefore relegated to constant shitness. Would be happy to see Wenger get the job, but arrogance has f*** all to do with it.

FSho4Sam. Idemt.

English managers not getting top jobs is part of the problem. Accept it bro.

Which ones should though, Pardew, Sam, Wor Schteeve all had a chance here and were garbage, why would a proper team bother with them. Eddie Howe maybe or some of younger generation but the others are dinosaurs. Rotten percentage football with zero tactical nous or flexibility. Can't establish a sustainable system, can't organise and play good football, and simply are not good enough.

Howe is one certainly. The thing is barely any of them even get the chance to move from lower league teams to PL clubs. It's a fucking mess. Our footballing culture is completely geared to wanking over foreign managers who've been allowed the chance to build a reputation in their own country.

Loads of them get given jobs at teams battling against relegation. They're welcome to win the league like Ranieri did if they want to. There's a real problem with coaching and management in this country but it's not down to a lack of opportunity.

Why should they be given jobs at bigger clubs instead of making the club they're already at compete with bigger clubs?

Honestly just assumed FS was joking about tbh. I can't believe that anyone who regularly watches English football can really believe that this is true.

Young English managers aren't given the opportunity to progress anywhere near as much as their counterparts on the continent. If you don't think that's a problem, fair enough. I disagree and most involved in the English game do. Realise it doesn't tow the footballing hipster line.

:rolleyes:

You must have missed the relentless arse lickings that Proper Football Men get absolutely everywhere in the media. The managers who've been given the chance and got somewhere are Hodgson - failed at Liverpool and England. Allardyce - Plays god awful football at teams constantly relegation threatened sides regardless of money spent, Pardew - the world's worst human being, Howe - too early to say but he certainly looks promising etc. Prior to the influx of foreign managers in the Premier League English managers won a grand total of 0 league titles. A grand total of 7 managers have won ANY top level silverware since the start of the PL. Howard Wilkinson is the last manager to win the league in 1991-92. The last time English managers dominated a league was Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in the '70s and '80s, which fittingly is exactly where English football management is broadly stuck. English football managers who've gone abroad have almost to a man been abject failures. Hodgson, SBR and McClaren are the only managers to have had any level of success abroad and I would imagine that the only one we could agree was a good manager is SBR.

I'm not sure how you can know all of that and think that it's because they haven't been given a chance.

My personal take on England is that the mentality is so off throughout the entire system. The players are looking like playing for England is just something they do every other month. They don't seem proud to be playing for England. They think they are good because they are good players - no focus on working as a team. Big egos abound and the players seem like they hardly know eachother. There's no pride. No passion. No belief in the team above individuals.

Look at Italy. They've sent one of their worst squads in history (based on player by player comparisons - not actually how they work as a unit) and are looking like they want this. They play for eachother. They are proud to play for Italy. They want to bring this home. They're not just there because it's something they kinda have to do.

I don't see a qucik fix for England. You need a manager that can sort out the mentality of the players and make them love their teammates and be proud to be involved, not just feel like they are there because they're entitled to. Even if you get a big personality in like a Bielsa I don't think it can sort out the mentality issue as there's just not enough days with the squad to build that. It needs to be changed at club level. You need to pick the players that are hungry. Your Vardy's, your Drinkwaters, your Townsends. The players that want to play for England and feel proud to don the shirt. But due to the way the media controls your entire squad, and the way you keep picking weak managers to manage the England team - always picking from name and not performances - you'll always have the same issue. They'll feel they are entitled to play for England.

A team full of weaker individuals proud to be there and wanting to fight could still outperform a team full of entitled c***s. We saw it this season with Leicester. It's what needs to happen to England, but it will never happen - and that is very sad.

International football is the one stage where you could put someone like Shearer in charge and it could have a very positive effect. An English legend steering the ship could change some mentalities, even if Shearer isn't, on paper, the best manager ever.

Youre moving towards Pardew thinking there talking about wanting it enough though.

Conte has his tactics perfect, he knows the strength of his side, his formation is perfect and they are superbly drilled. Its not really about wanting it more.

England had players who challenged for or won the title this year when it was unexpected. The attitude was there, the gameplan was not. Teams sat back and waited for us to open them up, we played with one striker in the box. Its amateurish stuff.

Guest firetotheworks

Southgate ffs. Surely not. :lol:

He's possibly the most F.A appointment imaginable. :lol:

Polite? Check

Will do what he's told? Check

Will pick the big players no matter what? Check

Poor, inexperienced managerial record with a shit team? Check

Had his team playing dull, uninspiring football? Check

Likely to make baffling team selections/substitutions? Check

High possibility of inspiring England to a pathetic tournament exit to the plucky underdog? Check, check, check.

Look at Conte on the touchline though, compare that to Roy pondering whether or not he left his milk out.

The Italians have always had a core group of players who absolutely love playing for their country.

Our players will do. Conte is likely constantly on them to stick at what theyve been drilled to do. Roy had no idea who to even put on corners ofcourse he sat and watched.

Our players went mad for a friendly win against Germany that everyone forgot about. Attitude is a weak answer, they were hamstrung by the manager. Conte adds to his side.

Guest firetotheworks

Look at Conte on the touchline though, compare that to Roy pondering whether or not he left his milk out.

The Italians have always had a core group of players who absolutely love playing for their country.

Italy and Germany are the two european countries who have always just got it, whatever it is. Even when they're seen as being shit, they'll Italy and Germany their way to finals and trophies because it's just in them to refuse to accept failure. Our lot are so terrified of failure that they have talking therapy sessions with it at every tournament.

English managers are worse than English players. So much arrogance they miss the basics. Please be Pardew so I can ignore this s*** forever. I will settle for Championship with Benitez #Paella@BenisHouse

English managers don't get a chance at top teams and are therefore relegated to constant shitness. Would be happy to see Wenger get the job, but arrogance has f*** all to do with it.

FSho4Sam. Idemt.

Which ones should though, Pardew, Sam, Wor Schteeve all had a chance here and were garbage, why would a proper team bother with them. Eddie Howe maybe or some of younger generation but the others are dinosaurs. Rotten percentage football with zero tactical nous or flexibility. Can't establish a sustainable system, can't organise and play good football, and simply are not good enough.

Howe is one certainly. The thing is barely any of them even get the chance to move from lower league teams to PL clubs. It's a fucking mess. Our footballing culture is completely geared to wanking over foreign managers who've been allowed the chance to build a reputation in their own country.

Loads of them get given jobs at teams battling against relegation. They're welcome to win the league like Ranieri did if they want to. There's a real problem with coaching and management in this country but it's not down to a lack of opportunity.

Why should they be given jobs at bigger clubs instead of making the club they're already at compete with bigger clubs?

Honestly just assumed FS was joking about tbh. I can't believe that anyone who regularly watches English football can really believe that this is true.

Young English managers aren't given the opportunity to progress anywhere near as much as their counterparts on the continent. If you don't think that's a problem, fair enough. I disagree and most involved in the English game do. Realise it doesn't tow the footballing hipster line.

You must have missed the relentless arse lickings that Proper Football Men get absolutely everywhere in the media. The managers who've been given the chance and got somewhere are Hodgson - failed at Liverpool and England. Allardyce - Plays god awful football at teams constantly relegation threatened sides regardless of money spent, Pardew - the world's worst human being, Howe - too early to say but he certainly looks promising etc. Prior to the influx of foreign managers in the Premier League a grand total of 0 league titles. A grand total of 7 managers have won ANY top level silverware since the start of the PL. Howard Wilkinson is the last manager to win the league in 1991-92. The last time English managers dominated a league was Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in the '70s and '80s, which fittingly is exactly where English football management is broadly stuck. English football managers who've gone abroad have almost to a man been abject failures. Hodgson, SBR and McClaren are the only managers to have had any level of success abroad and I would imagine that the only one we could agree was a good manager is SBR.

I'm not sure how you can know all of that and think that it's because they haven't been given a chance.

The likes of Fat Sam and Pardew get an easy ride of my the media no doubt, but it doesn't mean opportunities are the same for English managers coming through the ranks.

Just take a look at the number of English managers in the PL last season compared to Spanish/Italians/Germans in their respective leagues. Would a Klopp find it as easy to get a Dortmund-esque job in England? Would he fuck. It's a problem and we'll continue to whinge about the likes of Allardyce until it's sorted.

My personal take on England is that the mentality is so off throughout the entire system. The players are looking like playing for England is just something they do every other month. They don't seem proud to be playing for England. They think they are good because they are good players - no focus on working as a team. Big egos abound and the players seem like they hardly know eachother. There's no pride. No passion. No belief in the team above individuals.

Look at Italy. They've sent one of their worst squads in history (based on player by player comparisons - not actually how they work as a unit) and are looking like they want this. They play for eachother. They are proud to play for Italy. They want to bring this home. They're not just there because it's something they kinda have to do.

I don't see a qucik fix for England. You need a manager that can sort out the mentality of the players and make them love their teammates and be proud to be involved, not just feel like they are there because they're entitled to. Even if you get a big personality in like a Bielsa I don't think it can sort out the mentality issue as there's just not enough days with the squad to build that. It needs to be changed at club level. You need to pick the players that are hungry. Your Vardy's, your Drinkwaters, your Townsends. The players that want to play for England and feel proud to don the shirt. But due to the way the media controls your entire squad, and the way you keep picking weak managers to manage the England team - always picking from name and not performances - you'll always have the same issue. They'll feel they are entitled to play for England.

A team full of weaker individuals proud to be there and wanting to fight could still outperform a team full of entitled c***s. We saw it this season with Leicester. It's what needs to happen to England, but it will never happen - and that is very sad.

International football is the one stage where you could put someone like Shearer in charge and it could have a very positive effect. An English legend steering the ship could change some mentalities, even if Shearer isn't, on paper, the best manager ever.

Youre moving towards Pardew thinking there talking about wanting it enough though.

Conte has his tactics perfect, he knows the strength of his side, his formation is perfect and they are superbly drilled. Its not really about wanting it more.

England had players who challenged for or won the title this year when it was unexpected. The attitude was there, the gameplan was not. Teams sat back and waited for us to open them up, we played with one striker in the box. Its amateurish stuff.

The attitude was absolutely not there. Italy had attitude and tactics. Just look at Buffon. Look at Pelle shouting at his midfielders. Look at how they communicate.

Now, compare that to England. Kane just looking at people. Rooney not knowing who the fuck the cunts are around him. That team doesn't want it, the players are there because they are expected to be there. To include Wilshire instead of Townsend is a perfect example. Same goes with no Drinkwater. No Carroll. Hell, you could even argue that Simpson should've gotten a look in as you could've built a spine around Leicesters Englishmen who know eachother and have played well together for some time.

The attitude was absolutely not there. Italy had attitude and tactics. Just look at Buffon. Look at Pelle shouting at his midfielders. Look at how they communicate.

Now, compare that to England. Kane just looking at people. Rooney not knowing who the f*** the c***s are around him. That team doesn't want it, the players are there because they are expected to be there. To include Wilshire instead of Townsend is a perfect example. Same goes with no Drinkwater. No Carroll. Hell, you could even argue that Simpson should've gotten a look in.

They communicate as they know their jobs. Rooneys an awful captain who doesnt talk. What could Kane do? Ignore the managers instructions lads, lets not hug the touchline endlessly?

Kane, alli, vardy etc are all having their first go youre telling me theyre not fussed? Walker and rose for the first time? Dier? Its a fake reason. Its tactics, they were all lost.

Whether they love it or not, they don't fear it. Maybe it's the media, maybe it's a damaged national psyche when it comes to sport, but English performances are joyless, anxious exercises in fear. Nobody enjoys them.

The primary task of the next manager is to change this. I'm not sure if it's possible but you need a big ego to try and change something. Less to do with team selection or 4-3-3 v 4-1-4-1 etc. in my view. Other nations go to tournaments and enjoy them. The English fret about 50 years of hurt and the almost-glory of the more interesting or strange failures in years past. Or how amazing Pirlo/Ronaldo/Figo and how will they ever be stopped?

McManaman and Darke in TV here were speculating about the humiliation and shame of this defeat before a ball was kicked. I don't think other nations build up to a football match like this. I think some enjoy it.

Guest firetotheworks

FSho4Sam. Idemt.

You must have missed the relentless arse lickings that Proper Football Men get absolutely everywhere in the media. The managers who've been given the chance and got somewhere are Hodgson - failed at Liverpool and England. Allardyce - Plays god awful football at teams constantly relegation threatened sides regardless of money spent, Pardew - the world's worst human being, Howe - too early to say but he certainly looks promising etc. Prior to the influx of foreign managers in the Premier League a grand total of 0 league titles. A grand total of 7 managers have won ANY top level silverware since the start of the PL. Howard Wilkinson is the last manager to win the league in 1991-92. The last time English managers dominated a league was Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in the '70s and '80s, which fittingly is exactly where English football management is broadly stuck. English football managers who've gone abroad have almost to a man been abject failures. Hodgson, SBR and McClaren are the only managers to have had any level of success abroad and I would imagine that the only one we could agree was a good manager is SBR.

The likes of Fat Sam and Pardew get an easy ride of my the media no doubt, but it doesn't mean opportunities are the same for English managers coming through the ranks.

Just take a look at the number of English managers in the PL last season compared to Spanish/Italians/Germans in their respective leagues. Would a Klopp find it as easy to get a Dortmund-esque job in England? Would he fuck. It's a problem and we'll continue to whinge about the likes of Allardyce until it's sorted.

...but at the same time ex-English players get jobs handed to them on a plate because they're ex-players. I dunno how you can think they don't get a chance when the managers that do come up through the ranks and into the PL are the likes of Holloway and Pulis - there's a very distinctive style of English manager and it's generally perfunctory, playing to percentages and not very successful. Grass roots is obviously a problem, but until grass roots changes to accomodate differing styles of football it only has itself to blame. The exception is Howe, who does have a chance of being a very good manager who doesn't play like Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew etc, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

As an aside, Newcastle have had absolutely loads of English/British managers over the last few years and Keegan and Hughton aside they've all been rotten failures. You can say that coming to Newcastle as a manager isn't being given a chance, surely? Think about it, Keegan, Robson, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan, Hughton, Pardew, Carver, McClaren have all been given a chance at Newcastle. Keegan and Robson are legends and they won nothing. :lol:

Now, compare that to England. Kane just looking at people. Rooney not knowing who the f*** the c***s are around him. That team doesn't want it, the players are there because they are expected to be there. To include Wilshire instead of Townsend is a perfect example. Same goes with no Drinkwater. No Carroll. Hell, you could even argue that Simpson should've gotten a look in.

They communicate as they know their jobs. Rooneys an awful captain who doesnt talk. What could Kane do? Ignore the managers instructions lads, lets not hug the touchline endlessly?

Kane, alli, vardy etc are all having their first go youre telling me theyre not fussed? Walker and rose for the first time? Dier? Its a fake reason. Its tactics, they were all lost.

It's not. Especially when you compare the squad performance with past squads. I can't say I know the actual mentality of the players, but I'd say Vardy would be a lot more up for it than Rooney, for instance.

Of course players are fussed, but the mentality is still wrong. It's created by the media, and the massive amounts of money in the PL. It's not the players explicit fault, but it's an obvious issue. Saying it's not is just continuing accepting nothingness. Get someone in who can fix it. Fix it within the clubs. Try to pick players who aren't massive egotards. Try to pick players who like eachother. Try to sculpt a fucking team. England have very good individual players, as mentioned time and time again. The issue is they don't perform together. That's not a tactical issue, as you have far too few days with the playerso on the International scene. It's a mentality issue. These players need to find the proper team spirit and then combine this with the tactics they're being told by the manager.

Of course, the best thing is a combination of a good manager and a good mentality. Which is what I've been saying you need. Get a big personality in. Someone the players would want to impress, someone that makes them feel proud that this manager has called them up to represent England. That will go a long way.

Here's my tuppence.

The reason why England are so very very average at international level is down to a few factors.

In summary: media, money, education, seeding.

The media, Sky are included in this but i'll get to them in a moment.. but the press.. they know essentially half these guys are stealing a living and it's quite down to them in first place.. they build up these kids as the next big thing, in the hope maybe one of them may be the next Gazza. Well newsflash.. Rooney certainly was not a Gazza.. he was above average for a short time but never world class.. how the fat cunt can earn 300k a week is bewildering.. he should never have been in the squad, let alone playing every minute.

The media made sure he was a household name, made sure he was talked about in comparison to Englands best ever players and they made sure he remained a household name. Too big to drop? If that's the case, it's down to them. Rooney is just one example but you could nearly name a player in the side and draw same comparisons, just not to the same scale.

Sky, BT etc, they've made the Premier League the wealthiest in the world but it simply can't compete with La Liga or even Serie A for quality.. the money props up this shit heap and let's guys who should never have really made it, earn ridiculous amounts of money.. so much in fact that, their attitude is terrible.. they expect everything and don't feel the need to repay such life's luck by working hard enough to actually be better.

Education is another thing, half of England's players can't string a sentence together. Thick as pig shit.. but no vision, no intelligence, you could see this tonight.. they can run about for 90 minutes just fine but having the intelligence to act on the field to do something different? It's non existent. Other nations do not have this problem. The solution would be to make kids pass their exams in school instead of having them tied to pro contracts at 16.. let them develop to around the age of 21 or 22 before going anywhere near first team football. It would be good for them in the long run as well as the national side.

And finally.. the FIFA/UEFA seeding system is not fit for purpose. England are a top 10 side my arse.. but yet every 2 years they get favorable groups which enable them to qualify for these tournaments at ease. Put them in a tougher group, which they may not qualify from.. it will actually give the players some experience of playing true competitive football.. they might develop an edge.

I firmly believe that if England had to face teams like Germany and Italy in a qualifying group, they most likely wouldn't get through.

This is why it's seen as such a miracle for the likes of Ireland/N.I to get through to these things, or Iceland for that matter.. they had to dump the dutch out to get here.. how any of you thought this match was going to be a formality is staggering, it also mirrors the arrogance that media would have had you believe about the nations chances.

So the conversation about the next manager? It really doesn't matter a fuck who takes over... all these issues will remain for the next guy, all those pressures created by the media. Unless these fundamentals are addressed this shit will keep happening every 2 years.. and no amount 8-0 victories over San Marino will change that fact.

Id agree previously but i think this younger set of lads are harder to put that on. As i say they seemed pretty over the moon to beat Germany a few weeks ago, they went nuts for the last minute winner against wales. I agree mentality is an issue and they can be nervy, i think they want it though.

Certainly we go for names rather than putting a side together, the Germany game is the continous example. Beat the world champions and never repeat that team because: Rooney, Wilshere, Sterling, sturridge etc any combination of big name, transfer fee or big past. Not big form.

But again thats all on Roy. We certainly could do with someone they believe in still yeah. Eddie Howe seems a great prospect, hopefully he keeps doing well.

The reason we suck has nothing to do with the media, it's been a scapegoat for years and quite frankly has to stop. The reason we suck above all else EVERY SINGLE PLAYER constantly make dumb decisions and were thicker than the average bloke down the local, that's not something which can be pinned on Roy Hodgson or the media.

How we develop players is all wrong and pretty much every single one seem to have the IQ of a rabbit, actually no that would be unfair to the rabbit and until that changes we will continue to play like shit.

Guest firetotheworks

If you want to edit out Pulis on the sly KI I'll delete this comment :lol:

Oh aye, the daft cunt's Welsh isn't he? You get what I mean though, it does extend to Wales and Scotland, but obviously doing so would bring in Alex Ferguson and he really doesn't help my argument. :lol: That's the second time I've done that recently with nationalities as well.