England

Yorkie

I'm willing to bet my life that the entire England squad was praised and told "well played son, unlucky son" last night after exiting the tournament at the hand of minnows. Can't see the likes of Conte or Low or even Del Bosque being that blasé about it all.

Are the Sun's DT rating decided by stats or opinion? Ridiculous if it's the latter.

You would prefer rates based on stats?

In either case no way is Walker a 7. Largely at fault for the first. Created zero chances or contributed nothing going forward.

Edit: Just seen that Rooney received a 8. This might be a joke.

Are the Sun's DT rating decided by stats or opinion? Ridiculous if it's the latter.

They just know absolutely fucking nothing about football, yet they shout very loudly about football and what they think should happen in football. Same as every other subject.

You would prefer rates based on stats?

In either case no way is Walker a 7. Largely at fault for the first. Created zero chances or contributed nothing going forward.

Edit: Just seen that Rooney received a 8. This might be a joke.

I'm wondering how The Sun rate their Dream Team, as that's what the numbers are from. If the numbers are made by stats (passes, shots etc) then it's fair enough although their system is obviously stupid, if the numbers are made by their supposed experts then it's embarrassing.

Rooney should retire. He won't like, but he looked terrible to me. Embarrassing attempts at dribbling, bobble along and misplaced passes, slow, no obvious 'vocals' or leadership. He was such a great player. Time to leave the party Wazza, you're past it.

Guest firetotheworks

What are your overall feelings about this?

Mad, sad, finding it fun, don't really caring, "when does NUFC play?"...

It's actually more surprising when I care about England tbh.

Rooney should retire. He won't like, but he looked terrible to me. Embarrassing attempts at dribbling, bobble along and misplaced passes, slow, no obvious 'vocals' or leadership. He was such a great player. Time to leave the party Wazza, you're past it.

I don't watch a lot of football anymore, but I've never seen Rooney as bad as I have these last few weeks.  It's over for him.

Seriously don't get the "leading contenders" for the job. Gareth Southgate ffs, what has he achieved, really the Angland job used to be the biggest job you could get. Brian Clough, perhaps the best manager the country ever produced, was not able to snag it. We've since given it to the likes of Hoddle, McClaren and Hodgson, now Southgate and even Hoddle again are the possibility, not to mention going further down the list with Pardew, Fat Sam, Eddie Howe (really what has he done ?) and Gary fucking Neville !!

It's ludicrous and the FA will continue making the same mistakes if they keep appointing manager's of this ilk, obviously there is no Englishman anywhere near the level we need. They have to go foreign again, get that world class manager that they need because despite what everyone on here says this squad is acrtually pretty talented, certainly more talented, on paper, than all the teams they played in Euro 2016, they should have gotten better results. For me Simeone or Wenger would be the choice, that's the kind of caliber of manager they should be looking at. Pelligirini could do a job but probably the best fit would be Rafa hopefully that doesn't happen.

No doubt it'll another terrible choice though, mind you I thought Cappello at the time of his appointment was a fantastic move, so what the fuck do I know.

The other thing that annoys the shit out of me is those players that come out and say stuff about how they are behind Hodgson, how great a job he's doing and how they should stick with him. This is why you don't listen to the players, this is what happened at Newcastle when Gordon Lee left and we put an unqualified coach in charge, we were promptly relegated the following season. Hodgson should have been sacked after that World Cup. This Euro was winnable, I don't see one totally dominant team in it, we had enough talented to go a lot further than the R16.

Roy Hodgson has said he was surprised that he has been expected to speak to the media.

"I don't know what I'm doing here because I thought my statement last night was sufficient," he said.

"I was told by everyone it was important I appear here because people are smarting from our defeat.

"I suppose someone has to stand and take the slings and arrows that come with it.

"I'm disappointed. I didn't see it coming. I had no indication that we were going to play that badly.

"I'm still recovering from what happened. It was not a good night for anybody.

"We go home as losers in the last 16 and retain that wretched record of not winning a knock-out game in the tournament."

"As a manger, I am responsible so it's not about transferring blame to the players," he says.

"We feel very sad we couldn't deliver what we wanted to deliver.

"Of course we are sorry we couldn't give the results we were hoping for. There is not much more I can say on the subject."

Seriously don't get the "leading contenders" for the job. Gareth Southgate ffs, what has he achieved, really the Angland job used to be the biggest job you could get. Brian Clough, perhaps the best manager the country ever produced, was not able to snag it. We've since given it to the likes of Hoddle, McClaren and Hodgson, now Southgate and even Hoddle again are the possibility, not to mention going further down the list with Pardew, Fat Sam, Eddie Howe (really what has he done ?) and Gary fucking Neville !!

It's ludicrous and the FA will continue making the same mistakes if they keep appointing manager's of this ilk, obviously there is no Englishman anywhere near the level we need. They have to go foreign again, get that world class manager that they need because despite what everyone on here says this squad is acrtually pretty talented, certainly more talented, on paper, than all the teams they played in Euro 2016, they should have gotten better results. For me Simeone or Wenger would be the choice, that's the kind of caliber of manager they should be looking at. Pelligirini could do a job but probably the best fit would be Rafa hopefully that doesn't happen.

No doubt it'll another terrible choice though, mind you I thought Cappello at the time of his appointment was a fantastic move, so what the fuck do I know.

There were some questionable selections like Sterling, Hart and Wilshere, but yes the squad was really a lot better than it ended up looking. Hodgson is another in a long line of England managers who have continued trying to cram in too many Premier superstars into the formation rather than pick players in their natural position. So fucking spineless it's laughable. Might as well give Glenn Roeder the job, the players will love walking all over him.

Shit manager yes, but personally i think your players are quite over rated in general by people.

Are Iceland's any better? The difference is they have a team built around a gameplan and they know how to execute it.

Do international managers really require that much experience to succeed? Chris Coleman is in a quarter-final. Bilic had no experience taking on the Croatia job. Klinsmann did ok with zero experience. Low's club record is pretty shit. Would any manager at the tournament outside of Conte get a top club job?

A collapse of that proportion - and the record of the last decade - cannot come down to just tactics or squad selection. There's something very broken in how the English approach tournaments and their international football in general. Not convinced that there was a formation or gameplan that could have coaxed a good performance out of 11 players that froze like children with stage fright.

Shit manager yes, but personally i think your players are quite over rated in general by people.

Who's over-rated?

Most are judged on their league form which is actually good. I mean you can hardly call Kane over-rated as his numbers prove otherwise.

Rooney is the anomaly after taking the baton from Gerrard, but the rest are fine, it's 100% down to poor or incompatible management imo.

Our players probably aren't good enough to win a tournament on merit alone like, Italy, Germany and Belgium are lightyears ahead of us in most departments there.

Do international managers really require that much experience to succeed? Chris Coleman is in a quarter-final. Bilic had no experience taking on the Croatia job. Klinsmann did ok with zero experience. Low's club record is pretty s***. Would any manager at the tournament outside of Conte get a top club job?

A collapse of that proportion - and the record of the last decade - cannot come down to just tactics or squad selection. There's something very broken in how the English approach tournaments and their international football in general. Not convinced that there was a formation or gameplan that could have coaxed a good performance out of 11 players that froze like children with stage fright.

They need to be a winner first and foremost. The ones in contention are not. The England job is also a different animal, the media and the focus on it, make it a bigger more challenging job than it should be.

Really Wales haven't been that outstanding, they will be the only team England have beaten in this tournament, beat two very poor teams in the group stages and a limited NI side. To be honest they've met what should have been their expectations based on the opposition. Coleman is still no world beater. Bilic is obviously naturally a great manager, happened with KK with us that you put a person into a role and they succeed. Germany have probably the strongest squad of any nation, and they have over a long period of time, Low is just the man in charge as was Klinsman in the past, it seems like a job you could put pretty much anyone in charge and they succeed, there just seems to be more of a structure there that promotes success.

The over-rated point is shit like. Everyone recognised that our team wasn't especially good. That has nothing to do with losing to Iceland, unless you're actually of the opinion that you'd prefer Kolbeinn Sigþórsson over Harry Kane in your team next year.

I think there's an overall mentality issue with the England squad but I don't think it's born of arrogance, I just think there's no real desire/togetherness within the squad, and the only way of creating that is to have a strong leader take the reigns. So let's all hope Gareth Southgate is a passionate, technically-sound leader that demands respect in the locker room.... :spit:

Do international managers really require that much experience to succeed? Chris Coleman is in a quarter-final. Bilic had no experience taking on the Croatia job. Klinsmann did ok with zero experience. Low's club record is pretty s***. Would any manager at the tournament outside of Conte get a top club job?

Noticeable that Italy stand out a mile among the top teams as the best coached, because he's an actual top coach, not just a guy who happens to be from that country or yesterdays man (Roy, del Bosque)