England

Yorkie

Another thing we need to stop doing is forcing a load of players in the team because they are supposed to be the " best " so many players are playing out of position compared to what they do for their clubs.

Alli plays behind the striker, Sturridge is a centre forward, Rooney is never a CM even if he passes like one sometimes, whole thing is digustingly disjointed and everyone wonders why we can't break any team down when there is nobody to set the play up when the team is full of forwards or players or act like ones.

It's one of the reasons i have always hated Rooney in midfield, don't care what anyone says he doesn't know how to play the position properly. He's constantly in the wrong positions and acting like a forward in midfield, it takes more than the ability to hold on to the ball and switch play to be a central midfielder.

Although that's not really his fault like it isn't Sturridge and Alli's fault they are not used correctly either.

I'm so glad it happened, because of pricks that say you can't play a 442 anymore.

It's a stone age tactic etc etc.

442 if you have the right players can be great.

The biggest issue about using wide players today is they simply are not wide players, they are just quick lads with a bit of technical abilities that like to cut in. Nobody crosses balls like Stuart Ripley repeatedly did for Shearer, Beckham did for Utd, even Keith Gillespie had a nice cross. This is why today you see so many isolated strikers.

And most teams in this tournament have opted for using these converted winger types as strikers which has shown us the lack of goals in games.

The lack of a 4-4-2 has not been an issue.  It's been misusing players, having no shape as a team and shoehorning players into positions they are unsuited to. 

It was like playing 5 a side with your mates.  Players were just freelancing and doing whatever the fuck they liked.  With little or no success.  I didn't have a clue who was supposed to be playing where at times. 

I'm all for a bit of freedom and fluidity (Football Manager™).  But last night was a bit ridiculous.

Performed well in the league BECAUSE they are in teams with who's key creative players are foreign. Germany came to the same conclusion and changed their football from youth up. There is literally reams of data on the internet on how Germany changed their youth system and coaching to encourage German players.

Nearly the whole German team now plays abroad which is actually bothering the Germans. :lol:

You have a point there in regards to creativity, thats certainly part of it.

You look at our leading assisters last season:

Milner 11

Alli 9

Barkley 8

Deeney 7

Drinkwater 7

Albrighton 6

Vardy 6

Lallana 6

Rooney 6

Daniels 5

So not only do we not have key creative players of the past like Beckham, but we dont use the half decent ones. 5 of the top 6 didnt play.

Jason Puncheon is the 2nd highest English player for Key passes & crosses. Top English dribblers are Zaha (who was the best in the league), Barkley & Jordan Ibe.

None of the names we're looking at for the England team were actually that effective for their clubs. The ones who were we dont see as being good enough.

Southgate not the right man - Redknapp

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp does not believe that Gareth Southgate should get the England job.

The England Under-21 boss is currently the favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson.

"Why should he get it in front of Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce, who are proven managers?"  Redknapp told BBC Radio 5 live.

The 69-year-old, who ruled out his own chances of getting the job, said that he would back Tim Sherwood for the position.

:lol: :lol:

Southgate not the right man - Redknapp

Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp does not believe that Gareth Southgate should get the England job.

The England Under-21 boss is currently the favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson.

"Why should he get it in front of Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce, who are proven managers?"  Redknapp told BBC Radio 5 live.

The 69-year-old, who ruled out his own chances of getting the job, said that he would back Tim Sherwood for the position.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

[emoji38] A PFM will sort this all out.

I'm so glad it happened, because of pricks that say you can't play a 442 anymore.

The biggest issue about using wide players today is they simply are not wide players, they are just quick lads with a bit of technical abilities that like to cut in. Nobody crosses balls like Stuart Ripley repeatedly did for Shearer, Beckham did for Utd, even Keith Gillespie had a nice cross. This is why today you see so many isolated strikers.

And most teams in this tournament have opted for using these converted winger types as strikers which has shown us the lack of goals in games.

The lack of a 4-4-2 has not been an issue.  It's been misusing players, having no shape as a team and shoehorning players into positions they are unsuited to. 

It was like playing 5 a side with your mates.  Players were just freelancing and doing whatever the f*** they liked.  With little or no success.  I didn't have a clue who was supposed to be playing where at times. 

I'm all for a bit of freedom and fluidity (Football Manager™).  But last night was a bit ridiculous.

Absolutely, but I'm earmarkeing the traditional use of wide players. Yes Sturridge isn't a wide player, Rooney isn't a holding midfield player etc, last night was a joke. But it was noted Iceland played an old style 80/90s 442 that England had no clue what to do with.

We use players out of position all the time now in modern day football, or in cases like last night adapt them or think they can play multiple positions. We didn't even have one natural old fashioned wide player in the entire squad. I can't name many left.

Throw a Beckham type wide player at me from the Prem, I'm struggling. Call me old fashioned but I much prefer that kind of wide player.

It was like playing 5 a side with your mates.  Players were just freelancing and doing whatever the f*** they liked.  With little or no success.  I didn't have a clue who was supposed to be playing where at times. 

Not sure what freedom or fluidity you saw from England. The front 3 were pretty much rooted to the spot.

Iceland's 'wingers' were on the wrong sides too though, left footed right mid and vice versa. Same with Leicester this season actually. The different is tactics and players willing to work and run. I hate the PFM rhetoric as much as anyone but I don't think they'd do a particularly worse job than Woy's sack of shit.

Iceland were trying to hit us on the break though, we were trying to break a team down but I'm not sure what the plan was? We had nobody who can cross or anyone who can win anything in the air, we had nobody who can charge forward with the ball and/or thread a ball in (other than Wilshere who was asked to stay on the halfway line), no-one who can trouble the keeper from range. Just nowt.

I don't now how Roy never saw it after the first 3 games, we just camp in the opponents half doing literally nothing with the ball.

Iceland's 'wingers' were on the wrong sides too though, left footed right mid and vice versa. Same with Leicester this season actually. The different is tactics and players willing to work and run. I hate the PFM rhetoric as much as anyone but I don't think they'd do a particularly worse job than Woy's sack of shit.

Those mentioned by Redknapp, and also Pardew, absolutely would do a worse job. They're worse managers.

Cant believe the free pass roy is getting by the media after the s*** Graham Taylor got , The shittest England team i have ever ever seen in my era before you could see us putting on  the pressure to get something nowt lastnight

Eng 68% foreign players.

Spain 37%

Germany 22%

We'll never again have a large enough pool to pick from and not enough Eng players will develop at top clubs in key roles to actually challenge in tournaments. There are loads of other factors but IMO this is the core issue.

It really is that simple. Too many forrins in the PL. If you want a better national team there's got to be more English players actually playing at the highest level.

I can't see that at all. The individual quality of English players has improved because the competition for places at clubs is greater, with the number of good foreign players coming in.

Whether it's improved enough, I suppose, is another matter. All round, we're still not technically as sound as other countries. A particular difference is their defenders have more confidence on the ball, and can contribute more in possession. It allows them to function better and more flexibly as teams.

10/15 years ago Germany had the same issue then why did they bother to put so much effort in tackling it?

Eng isn't just attracting good players a lot of squads are filled out with average non Eng players which is limiting the chance of youth players coming through. We aren't even discussing key roles in a side. The creative fulcrum of most top PL teams are foreign players. Eng can develop as many pacy wingers as they like but untill they develop midfielders who can come through and play regularly in the PL they haven't a chance on the international stage.

"But the Germans don't need so many foreign players. Over the last decade they have invested more than £570m in youth academies, a move that has seen the average age of Bundesliga players in that period fall from 27.1 years to just 25.2 years and given birth to a generation of players that, as the World Cup showed all too clearly, know each other's games inside out.

"It's our youth academies that continuously provide the talents that make the Bundesliga and the national team so exciting and attractive," adds the DFL's Christian Seifert. "Our clubs invest €100m (£80m) in these academies and are rewarded with a sustainable basis of excellent homegrown players."

Crucially, these homegrown players have far more opportunity of playing in their national league than their counterparts in England, where just 37 per cent of players in the Premier League are eligible to play for the national side. In the top tier of the Bundesliga it's 57 per cent. It's another reason that Germany performs so consistently at international level, as Christian Seifert explains. "

Even the 37% is misleading because although they may be eligible how many of them are playing regularly? The more you look into it the worse it gets sadly.

German footballers have been technically better than ours for decades. That didn't begin with their new development programme.

I've no doubt that their programme has been successful, and if possible we should copy them and hopefully receive the same boost. But somehow making it easier for English players to get into their teams isn't the answer. Competition raises standards.

I mean, if only 10% of Premiership players were English, the pool wouldn't be big enough. But 32% should be fine.

Guest firetotheworks

Cant believe the free pass roy is getting by the media after the s*** Graham Taylor got , The shittest England team i have ever ever seen in my era before you could see us putting on  the pressure to get something nowt lastnight

Graham Taylor had a far better team and substituted its best player tbf. He also failed to qualify for the World Cup when the previous manager had them in the semi-finals. Hodgson has a worse team, that's qualified and underperformed, but he's still been a better England manager than Taylor, McClaren and Keegan. Still utterly shit though.

http://4c2lgc59e181vuma1n9bmo1c.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/assets/steve-mcclaren-pulling-face-newcastle-united-nufc-405x540.jpg

http://i2.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article5176376.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Roy-Hodgson.jpg

I wonder what went wrong?

What are your overall feelings about this?

Mad, sad, finding it fun, don't really caring, "when does NUFC play?"...

Not really bothered, but interspersed with mild amusement when I consider how pathetic an exit it was.