England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Cha Cha Nah Roy Hodgson reveals he turned down a spot on Strictly… and defends putting Harry Kane on corners at Euro 2016

Former England boss was roasted for putting striker on set pieces during Euros disaster but insists it was correct call

by Charlie Wyett 

21st March 2017, 11:04 pm

Updated: 22nd March 2017, 12:31 am 

ROY HODGSON revealed he turned down the chance to appear on Strictly Come Dancing.

The ex-England boss joked: “I’d have been another Ed Balls! We are moving in a world now where celebrity is the key.”

His team were caught flat-footed at Euro 2016, losing to Iceland.

But he railed against flak over his call to make Harry Kane take corners last summer – and those who questioned his six changes to the side that beat Wales.

He told The Big Issue: “They are nonsense. People should be ashamed of those things.

“Why shouldn’t Kane take corners? If he happens to be the best striker of a ball in the team and gives you the best delivery why shouldn’t he do it?

“And the ‘six’ changes were actually four changes from the team who were on the field at the end of the game against Wales.

"Questions would have been asked if I’d left out Jamie Vardy and Daniel Sturridge after they came on as substitutes at half-time and scored.

“What’s more, working with a squad of players, people would also ask why didn’t I give a chance to Jordan Henderson and Jack Wilshere, Ryan Bertrand and Nathaniel Clyne, who are four excellent players.

“I was totally uninterested in those type of comments, which I regard purely as irrelevant and dishonest.

"No one whose opinion I respect would have said anything like that, otherwise I would have heard about it."

Hodgson also expressed pride at his time in charge and said the horror 2-1 loss to Iceland did not affect him once he quit.

He added: "I certainly didn't feel suicidal and I certainly didn't feel self-doubt either because I think probably the four years, especially the last two years after the World Cup, fashioning a team from a very young group of players, many of whom weren't even in their club side, and playing the sort of football we were capable of playing - we were playing very, very well.

"I am very, very proud of that achievement. I think it is probably the best work, in many ways, that I did or have done so far."

Telegraph reckons the team tonight is

Hart

Keane  Smalling  Cahill

Walker Dier  Livermore  Bertrand

Lallana  Vardy  Alli

Good to see he at least has the sense to go with 3 at th eback, as a good number of English players are doing well for their clubs in that system.

Livermore though ... that is shocking. He and Dier are not going to be very good moving the ball around.

Good to see he at least has the sense to go with 3 at th eback, as a good number of English players are doing well for their clubs in that system.

Livermore though ... that is shocking. He and Dier are not going to be very good moving the ball around.

What does Dier do other than smash in free kicks? Is he just colback?