England

Yorkie

I pretty much disagree with all of that. Even the bits about Kane and Sane.

Fast players like Sterling with that rapid, short stride are often very good at running with the ball because their running style means they can stay close to it. For me, technique comes into play when they have to kick it. And Sterling often seems to keep running with the ball when he ought to release it.

That lofted pass that Barkley produced for the third goal is what I mean by technique.

No offence, but I pretty much disagree with all of your reply to TCD. You can’t just redefine ‘technique’ to only fit one component part and running at pace keeping the ball under close control requires great technique (touch) it isn’t solely about length of stride.

I didn't say solely. Obviously a good touch on the ball helps when running with it. My point was that Sterling's ability to stay close to the ball rests mainly on his particular athletic qualities.

Technique is such a grey area.

Sterling tends to have an excellent first touch (noticeably better than Sane for example) and has the best close control in the current England squad. He's not the best striker of the ball but that's improving. He's scored a couple outside the box this season and last nights finish was excellent. He was the only one able to trap the ball and keep it in the second half.

His appreciation of the game is much better than people realise and with his pace, it's his standout attribute. He has a great knack of finding space and his off the ball running is tremendous for City. He scores 10 of those second goal tap-ins for City due to that movement and off the ball running. His issue for England has been that he hasn't been getting into those goalscoring positions as much and poor finishing.

But he's literally streaks ahead of anyone else that could play in his position. In terms of keeping possession, close control under pressure, short passing only Kane is as good.

To add to this, he's much more adaptable currently than Sane for example. Sane relies heavily on his striking technique and physical gifts - he just so happens to be unstoppable when he gets it right. Sterling has more variety to his game.

Fast players like Sterling with that rapid, short stride are often very good at running with the ball because their running style means they can stay close to it. For me, technique comes into play when they have to kick it. And Sterling often seems to keep running with the ball when he ought to release it.

That lofted pass that Barkley produced for the third goal is what I mean by technique.

Shaun Wright Phillips? Atsu? Nathan Dyer? they didn't have that.

He's not a creative midfielder? So he's rarely going to play the sort of pass Barkley did. Technique isn't limited to being able to loft a through ball. Like I said, i'm sure Guardiola has seen plenty of technical players in his time with Barca and he seems to like him a lot.

Are you disputing that a short stride makes it easier to run with the ball?

Yes, because as literally evidenced above there are plenty of players with short rapid running style who are absolutely awful at running with it. See Hatem vs Atsu. It's your touch that determines how close the ball stays to you when you run with it. See Ben Arfa for further details.  If you aren't in control of your touch you can have the shortest running stride known to man and be shit. See Wright Phillips. If your argument was correct then

every winger would be sterling's build.

That is argument by analogy rather than logic, which is often a dodgy process. Short-striding players find it easier to accelerate, change direction and change pace. That has to be an advantage when running with the ball.

It's not the only determinant of how good you are when running with the ball, but it's there.

Technique is such a grey area.

Sterling tends to have an excellent first touch (noticeably better than Sane for example) and has the best close control in the current England squad. He's not the best striker of the ball but that's improving. He's scored a couple outside the box this season and last nights finish was excellent. He was the only one able to trap the ball and keep it in the second half.

His appreciation of the game is much better than people realise and with his pace, it's his standout attribute. He has a great knack of finding space and his off the ball running is tremendous for City. He scores 10 of those second goal tap-ins for City due to that movement and off the ball running. His issue for England has been that he hasn't been getting into those goalscoring positions as much and poor finishing.

But he's literally streaks ahead of anyone else that could play in his position. In terms of keeping possession, close control under pressure, short passing only Kane is as good.

To add to this, he's much more adaptable currently than Sane for example. Sane relies heavily on his striking technique and physical gifts - he just so happens to be unstoppable when he gets it right. Sterling has more variety to his game.

I'm not talking running at pace. His first 3-4 touches, he rarely losses the ball at that point. He can be in a tight space, markers around, his first touch is way more consistent than Sane's at this point. In general, he's very good in tight spaces either dribbling or short passes. Again, he doesn't lose the ball that much for a wide player because a) his touch is good b) generally releases the ball at the right time c) he's good at short range passing.

I think that's the reason why Sterling is more guaranteed of a start at City than Sane atm. Better at the quick, intricate, build-up play, better movement off the ball. If Sterling wasn't technically sound or consistently made poor decisions he wouldn't be a key player for Guardiola.

I think you're describing Messi there, not Sterling. We'll have to agree to differ.

Nail on head.

Been to one England game at SJP, and the percentage of complete and utter bellends there compared to a normal game was off the map. They're not all like that of course, but until they lose the chair throwing no surrender wankers who make me ashamed to be English every time we play abroad, I wouldn't go to another game. A real shame really.

Nail on head.

Been to one England game at SJP, and the percentage of complete and utter bellends there compared to a normal game was off the map. They're not all like that of course, but until they lose the chair throwing no surrender wankers who make me ashamed to be English every time we play abroad, I wouldn't go to another game. A real shame really.

Snap pal albeit done two at SJP - Albania in 2001 and Azerbaijan in 2005 - absolute bellends everywhere in town! Had half days for both and virtually every bar was horrendous!

Guest neesy111

Khan has withdrawn his bid to buy Wembley. Got to say I’m pleased with that.

Why?

I personally don't see why a national stadium is needed. Germany, Italy and Spain don't have one.

Guest firetotheworks

Nail on head.

Snap pal albeit done two at SJP - Albania in 2001 and Azerbaijan in 2005 - absolute bellends everywhere in town! Had half days for both and virtually every bar was horrendous!

Who are they? That's what I've always wondered. Surely these people support clubs and cause bother at their club's matches as well? Yet it seems that England brings these scumbags out.

Is dier? You know what? I'd like for Southgate to call up Shelvey. At least to get a look into the system. He deserves a chance.

He’s a different type of passer altogether. Dier is basic and a little slow but he gets his man and tries to play it for and when the opportunity arises.

Delli on the other hand plays much faster passes. And he looks for the incisive pass but it’s inconsistent therefore he loses the ball more than he should. You can’t lose the ball that much at CM at international level.

Khan has withdrawn his bid to buy Wembley. Got to say I’m pleased with that.

Why?

I personally don't see why a national stadium is needed. Germany, Italy and Spain don't have one.

Me too, it seemed like the perfect deal to me I can see why Khan pulled out though.

Guest firetotheworks

I like having a national stadium, that tour while Wembley was getting built was nice, but having Wembley is a tradition I like and wouldn't want to change.

Guest firetotheworks

Neesy's post.

I don't really know enough about what difference the ownership would make to comment on it really.

Went to Wembley on Sunday for the NFL and the surrounding area has changed so much since I was there for the reopening in 2007 (?). The place is just littered with high rise buildings with no apparent thought for the image/atmosphere of the area, it felt like going to an arena rather than a national football stadium. Id have no issue at all with selling it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sell it, then start playing all over the country at other grounds. Wembley is nothing special, for what it cost anyway. Compare that to Cardiff for example. Agree with Neesy, there is no need for a national stadium. England will be better supported and better received playing say at Portman Road than Wembley, obviously not in numbers...

Guest neesy111

Surely even if we sell it we’ll play every game there as tenants? We’re not going to sell it and stop playing football there.

Unless they move the NFL season 180 degree's we'd still be able to use the stadium.

Guest neesy111

You could say the building of Wembley has put grass roots football back decades by strangling the FA of funding.  They'll never get a better opportunity to get a £500m windfall to put back into the game.

• 3 weeks later...