England

Yorkie

Been a fan of Rooney, but don't really see how his international career is worth celebrating more than his contemporaries given his record at major tournaments.

The fact we got this far for the first time in almost thirty years is down to more than one single factor, but Rooney not being involved anymore has to be one.

Been a fan of Rooney, but don't really see how his international career is worth celebrating more than his contemporaries given his record at major tournaments.

The fact we got this far for the first time in almost thirty years is down to more than one single factor, but Rooney not being involved anymore has to be one.

This was my opinion until i saw some stats the other day.  I think it said he averaged a goal or an assist every 109 minutes in competitive games for England.  So although he was a let-down in the tournaments bar his first one, he probably did more than anyone else to get us there i think first place.  That still probably doesn’t warrant all this carry on but i thought it was worth keeping in mind since it looks like it’s happening anyway.

Guest alijmitchell

The Rooney years were characterised by failure, so god knows why we want to celebrate them. The team has moved on (thankfully).

Guest firetotheworks

Rooney having the England record over Charlton is like Klose having the World Cup record over Ronaldo. That said, I'm not arsed about this at all, it's meaningless but it's not really harming anyone and it's for charity.

Guest neesy111

Rooney having the England record over Charlton is like Klose having the World Cup record over Ronaldo. That said, I'm not arsed about this at all, it's meaningless but it's not really harming anyone and it's for charity.

That times article says it isn't for charity, only bucket collections outside will go to his charity.

Guest neesy111

No Shelvey or Lascelles again

Probably because everyone in that squad is better than them in their retrospective positions.