Stones

Shaw

Rice

Phillips

Mount

Saka

Kane

Sterling

I know this is a joke but surely Maguire/Shaw can't keep starting for his country when he's on the bench for his club? :lol:

Saw this opinion expressed a lot or something similar. I get it. However we’ve won fuck all and that squad of players came very close twice. The German side that dominated for so long kept the same group of core players despite club form. I think if we don’t win the WC or don’t get anywhere close then it’d be time to shake it up but I don’t blame Southgate for staying loyal to a team he’s built. 

That said if Bellingham doesn’t start he needs to go 😂

I'd slag off the selection had he not been vindicated at literally every turn over the last six years. It might be a mistake to stick with his main core of players who've achieved a lot for him, but I'll wait for hindsight to make that call.

It’s the eternal debate of form versus a consistent international team. Seems to be unfair on the people who don’t get in, but I guess the manager would argue that he can’t go changing the whole squad every couple of months. 

Don’t know what the right answer is TBH, somewhere in the middle I suppose. 

Ideally these ‘trusted’ England players would be good enough to play well in the PL and stay in their club teams, but seems quite a few of them aren’t. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

Just realised Maddison left out too because he’s playing in a shit Leicester side but has been involved in 10 G/A in the last 9 games for them.

He’s never going to pick Maddison, doesn’t know what to do with him. Doesn’t matter how many goals and assists he gets. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s the eternal debate of form versus a consistent international team. Seems to be unfair on the people who don’t get in, but I guess the manager would argue that he can’t go changing the whole squad every couple of months. 

Don’t know what the right answer is TBH, somewhere in the middle I suppose. 

Ideally these ‘trusted’ England players would be good enough to play well in the PL and stay in their club teams, but seems quite a few of them aren’t. 

Aye it's a tough one. You have someone like Klose who had a shit season before bossing the next World Cup, and then you have Shearer who went nearly two years without a goal for England but whose club form kept him in the side, then won the Golden Boot.

14 hours ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Who's the hell is Marc Guehi?

Seems odd having Newcastle players playing for England.

A huge part of me hope they don't play in case they get injured, and in any case wasting time playing for England when they could be resting with us.  

Who do we think will be the next first cap player that will come from us? I think Dan Burn will be next in line for a cap at CB if he continues to stay fit and play decent enough for us.

I can’t see Burn funding a place. I thought Targett was in with an outside chance if not for injury. 

Maguire and Stones (even Dier) also have years of international experience of being able to bring the ball out and help break down teams who sit back and allow little space. Something that will be important particularly in the early rounds. You're asking a lot of people like Guehi, Burn, Tomori, etc to step up and do the same thing when they've little experience of it.at tournament level.

31 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye it's a tough one. You have someone like Klose who had a shit season before bossing the next World Cup, and then you have Shearer who went nearly two years without a goal for England but whose club form kept him in the side, then won the Golden Boot.

I think Podolski too at some point?

I understand going with the players that have performed well for England in the past. It's a team and it has it's own dynamics. It's not just the best performing England XI.

But picking the likes of Shaw who have been criminally poor as a defender for a long time. It does smell bad.

Much as I like having them in the squad - they’re the type of solid, mid-table pros that we’ve lacked for yonks - Burn and Targett aren’t England quality for me.

That doesn’t mean I think Southgate’s continuing selection of Luke Shaw makes a lick of sense, mind.

Pope and Trippier should be shoo-ins for the squad (and possibly team) though.