Latest Fans Forum 'minutes' released

JJ7

"Alongside Sky Sports and the Daily Mirror, SMc also gave interviews to the club's media channels followed by local written media and BBC Newcastle. The club felt that this was the most appropriate way in which to announce SMc's appointment to fans and best control and re-enforce the positive messages the club wished to deliver to them."

While not exactly shocking, it's pretty remarkable that they're so open with it.

No different to any other business in the world controlling the message they give out. The press are free to write what they want the rest of the time, but there's no huge controversy in controlling what you can control. It's one of the first rules of marketing.

You think NUFC do their marketing/communication like any other football club then? Inviting "media partners" only to the unveiling of the new manager so that they can control the questions asked, you think that's "no different to any other" business/football club?

McClaren comes out of this sounding almost as bad as Pardew. Basically nothing has or will change, and they discreetly put in the transfer excuses all the way through.

Don't be so f***ing soft. How often did Pardew come out and be positive about anything, let alone taking the club forward and implementing a footballing philosophy and instilling discipline in the squad?

How often did we hear Pardew proclaiming how perfect his squad is, how grateful he is to the owner, how happy he is with it and promising "front-foot football"- and then cheekily claiming to have achieved this whilst keeping 9 men behind the ball booting it long to cisse on the wing- promising a tilt at the top four. He was full of bravado everytime season tickets needed shifting.

I will give SMc the benefit of the doubt, but really there's very little between this and the sort of crap Pardew spouted every summer.

McClaren has already hired competent people to work with him, and so is already separating himself from Pardew drastically.

Pardew only brought people in who would never question him, and who were just happy to be there and so would suck up to him. He was all about consolidating his position and nothing else.

Think McClaren deserves a bit more credit tbh.

Giving a manager credit before they've played a game makes no sense

Exactly, if what McClaren has done comes to pass with noticable coaching improvements then he'll get the deserved credit but until then he's not getting shit.

I meant credit for not being another Pardew, which he is clearly not. What's wrong with you people  :lol:

Pardew was an evil, dreadful, con artist and fiend. McClaren might flop, but he is a decent sort IMO.

The problem with "controlling" the media so only a positive message gets out means they can never be personally challenged.  OK journalists may still write opinion pieces but they will probably be influenced by their exclusion so that will lead to an overly negative message.

The main reason they get negative press is because of their poor decision-making they have made and the contempt they show for all and sundry and the terrible football.  To gain more favourable press, they need to build relationships but they haven't got a clue how to do that.  By excluding most of the media, they are just guaranteeing that most of them will be looking for a reason to be critical.

I rarely read anything on the official website and their emails get lodged in my work's email quarantine system.  Anything that I get to see is mostly bland and uninformative.  I certainly don't want to only read an article they have sanctioned.  I would far rather read something written by Caulkin with the quality of writing and emotional investment about McClaren's training methods that anything written by Lee Ryder.

I meant credit for not being another Pardew, which he is clearly not. What's wrong with you people  :lol:

Pardew was an evil, dreadful, con artist and fiend. McClaren might flop, but he is a decent sort IMO.

Why would I give him credit for not being an awful human being :lol:

It's not different to any other BUSINESS....and yes, football clubs do control what questions are asked etc. We're just going one further and controlling who gets the information. I don't really have a problem with it personally.

The club are taking the piss out of the fans forum members but they only have themselves to blame for that as they allow the club to get away with it by manipulating what comes out.

The club is run by a bunch of lying bastards but that's nothing new, people should have a problem with being openly lied to.  They've doctored a question to make it look completely different to the one that was asked.

It's not different to any other BUSINESS....and yes, football clubs do control what questions are asked etc. We're just going one further and controlling who gets the information. I don't really have a problem with it personally.

The club are taking the p*ss out of the fans forum members but they only have themselves to blame for that as they allow the club to get away with it by manipulating what comes out.

The club is run by a bunch of lying b******s but that's nothing new, people should have a problem with being openly lied to.  They've doctored a question to make it look completely different to the one that was asked.

Agreed. People on that forum have to seriously consider if it's worth them spending their free time on getting lied to and being used as a guise for open communication when it's quite clearly the polar opposite.

I like how they tell us not to believe the media when it comes to bids for players. That would be the media that have linked us with a shitload of players, of which we've purchased exactly nil.

"Alongside Sky Sports and the Daily Mirror, SMc also gave interviews to the club's media channels followed by local written media and BBC Newcastle. The club felt that this was the most appropriate way in which to announce SMc's appointment to fans and best control and re-enforce the positive messages the club wished to deliver to them."

While not exactly shocking, it's pretty remarkable that they're so open with it.

No different to any other business in the world controlling the message they give out. The press are free to write what they want the rest of the time, but there's no huge controversy in controlling what you can control. It's one of the first rules of marketing.

You think NUFC do their marketing/communication like any other football club then? Inviting "media partners" only to the unveiling of the new manager so that they can control the questions asked, you think that's "no different to any other" business/football club?

Imagine viewing your football club at a normal business and not a public / socials / regional interest.

Imagine viewing your football club at a normal business and not a public / socials / regional interest.

Exactly.

aye but when you think about it were no different than British Gas. They have a PR department and they say stuff what makes them look good. I've got no problem with it personally.

Eager to hear JJ7's account.

I've had a bit of a nightmare day trying to get stuff sorted for a change of job so only just getting my tea now. I'll try and put together my own account of events over the next couple of days for you. Don't want to slaver something quick and miss things out. One thing though, it was a different format to the previous forum so I found it harder to be able to get in all the questions I wanted. Not great. As you can see from the mistakes made reply, it probably didn't make much difference had I asked them anyway. Sweep and move on seemed to be the theme.

Eager to hear JJ7's account.

I've had a bit of a nightmare day trying to get stuff sorted for a change of job so only just getting my tea now. I'll try and put together my own account of events over the next couple of days for you. Don't want to slaver something quick and miss things out. One thing though, it was a different format to the previous forum so I found it harder to be able to get in all the questions I wanted. Not great. As you can see from the mistakes made reply, it probably didn't make much difference had I asked them anyway. Sweep and move on seemed to be the theme.

That is very much the sense I get from reading the minutes. Surely the fan representatives didn't let "them" get off the hook so lightly?