Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

He beats people with insane levels of ease man.

Aye, but it's usually followed by a soft pass back to them.

He needs to improve, he's not playing in a shit and slow Dutch league now and needs to start putting in the performances that he is capable of.

We constantly lambast the players in our squad like Colback, Anita, Dummett. But they are hampered by the fact that they are not very good, this guy has all the quality he needs but has only shown it in about 5 games of our 30 so far this season and seems to consistently get away with it.

He needs to improve, he's not playing in a s*** and slow Dutch league now and needs to start putting in the performances that he is capable of.

We constantly lambast the players in our squad like Colback, Anita, Dummett. But they are hampered by the fact that they are not very good, this guy has all the quality he needs but has only shown it in about 5 games of our 30 so far this season and seems to consistently get away with it.

Aye, he and Moussa are meant to be 2 of our best players. No surprise we are 19th

Which runs did he fail to spot then? Maybe I missed them.

Get away man, he has been absolutely pathetic for about three months now.

There has been numerous times where he's lost the ball in ridiculous circumstances when he could play a pass to a team mate. He barely attempts to take people on anymore, or pass, or do anything. Seems to stand in the middle of the pitch and watch the game go by him.

There has been numerous times where he's lost the ball in ridiculous circumstances when he could play a pass to a team mate. He barely attempts to take people on anymore, or pass, or do anything. Seems to stand in the middle of the pitch and watch the game go by him.

You didn't answer the question. If you don't want him making soft passes then you should be able to pinpoint alternative forward passes he could have made instead.

You didn't answer the question. If you don't want him making soft passes then you should be able to pinpoint alternative forward passes he could have made instead.

I think you misread what I wrote, I said soft passes back to them meaning the opposition player he had just beaten with ease (see the post I quoted).

I have no issues with Wijnaldum playing soft passes to his team mates, in the past three months all I have seen is a player wander around aimlessly losing/giving the ball away.

First few months of the season he was insanely good at times, since December I think we could have played without him and had better results.

Seeing the way he glides past people, you would think that playing him wide right, might actually suit.  He has a lovely touch and turns and rolls his marker, really easily.  So you'd think he'd have the attributes to play out wide.  I agree with others, who were saying he'd be able to get back to what he did earlier in the season.  Where he was ghosting into the box late from the flank.

I didn't think he was that good yesterday.  But he works his arse off, that's for sure.  It's just so annoying when you see him skin 3 of their players in a flash.  Then he disappears for the next 5 minutes. 

Dunno if posted already but interesting stat regarding Shelvey and no 10 players. Havent checked this out btw.

Gylfi when playing with Shelvey: 13 games, 2g 1a

Without Shelvey: 18 games, 7g 2a

Wijnaldum with Shelvey: 9 games, 1g 2a

Without Shelvey: 21 games, 8g 3a

I think Shelvey dropping so deep to dictate tempo didn't help Wijnaldum. He was crowded out in the centre of the pitch by all of Sunderland's midfielders whenever Shelvey went into "Quarterback" mode between the two CBs. Potentially why he looked more anonymous in our slow build up phases; which he has done pretty much all season tbf, sans Shelvey.

Solution could be a De Jong dropping in there or Tiote coming back from the wilderness...or an Abeid type player...

My main gripe with Shelvey is everything has to go through him. He drops deep to pick up two yard passes from our CBs only to look up and give it to either the RB or LB. That is a pass the CB could be making himself, and is usually the only ball 'on' for Shelvey as there is no one available a bit further up in the centre which is where he should be.

Yeah.  I thought Shelvey sat far too deep.  Sunderland were just getting everyone behind the ball and organised.  So Shelvey sitting next to the centre backs and looking to spray long passes, was a bit pointless.  It wasn't like we were ever going to get in behind them. 

I think Shelvey dropping so deep to dictate tempo didn't help Wijnaldum. He was crowded out in the centre of the pitch by all of Sunderland's midfielders whenever Shelvey went into "Quarterback" mode between the two CBs. Potentially why he looked more anonymous in our slow build up phases; which he has done pretty much all season tbf, sans Shelvey.

Solution could be a De Jong dropping in there or Tiote coming back from the wilderness...or an Abeid type player...

Yea SDJ could help with this. And both Gini and Siem are intelligent players so should be able to find those pockets of space between lines. Just if we had a striker with a clever movement..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Might be sensible to follow suit. With Townsend and Sissoko also stretching them/giving them something to think about

Wasn't he s**** for Holland though?

Hasn't he been shite for us in that position for a good number of weeks now? Take away his odd goal, his cross v Sunderland was the first thing he's done for months.