Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Hes already shown he has the ability earlier in the season when we were just as shite and he was scoring goals and grabbing the odd assist.

Completely agree with the post above, once it became abundantly clear things weren't going to improve much he and a lot of others seem to have given up, he clearly isn't up for the fight and its a shame because his early season goal scoring ability might have just kept us up.

I think he's just a bit of a coward. When you are playing shit, the least you can do is work hard in closing the ball down or trying to do something good with it. He's doing neither, he's hiding behind any blade of grass he can find.

Someone nailed it on Sunday supplement the other day.

Players join us to get a move on as we all know, they sign with us to get noticed in the prem & to get that move. They dont sign up for relegation battles, nor do they care much about the club beyond how it serves their original goal. So its no suprise that when it clearly wont do that, they look demotivated.

Our issue is almost that we sign better players than our current fellow relegation candidates. The likes of Wijnaldum, Sissoko etc make their national teams. They dont NEED to perform for us to get another move to a decent side they already have their reputation. They can get back in the shop window at the Euros also. What motivation do they have to keep us up? Norwich's players are fighting because they have to to maintain status at this level personally, they cant just move on regardless. Same at Bournemouth, Sunderland etc

So thats the obvious difference.

It becomes about pride beyond that, but Wijnaldum clearly didnt sign up for this & is no where near the guy even pre when he scored 4 against Norwich. He doesnt care about the fight.

Odd given what he's known to have said, the drive and hunger from his PSV days and looking to break into the national fold; seems like a ton went out the window for him when the Dutch were eliminated from the Euros. FFS he was Dutch player of the year and the player who played versus Southampton and the Norwich 4 goal match, there's a fantastic footballer in there when his heart matches his talent; unfortunately for us he hasn't put in the gut busting performances in an ages...such a shame and a waste. I thought I was witnessing a future world class potential footballer play for us.

Siem captained Ajax to the title before he joined us. Despite the fact he's made of tissue paper, he still seems like a leader on the pitch and sets an example.

Then Wij captained PSV to the title the following season. How on earth this chap was a captain, based on his year here, is beyond me.

Transfer fees and reputation aside, for what they both bring to the table, I still don't understand why Wij is being preferred to Siem.

He played all over the pitch for PSV, did Gini, that's why it's so frustrating to see how look so anon for us and not impose himself; that PSV team was built around him and he was excellent on both ends of the pitch. His desire, heart, and drive was what made him so good for PSV and be the Dutch player of the year; and that's the player we saw more in the beginning of the season than what we've now seen...he's not giving the effort at all.

It isn't just technical ability that makes a player, nor attitude or application. The set of circumstances surrounding the club and every rotten thing that likely takes place therein have most likely dampened the kind of impact Gini could and should be having on football matches. He is to blame, but so is the club and all the underhanded, remedial, cheapskate tactics that go into managing it. I think that's quite apparent given the absolute mess of the majority of our players (whether they have been good for us or other clubs in the past).

He played all over the pitch for PSV, did Gini, that's why it's so frustrating to see how look so anon for us and not impose himself; that PSV team was built around him and he was excellent on both ends of the pitch. His desire, heart, and drive was what made him so good for PSV and be the Dutch player of the year; and that's the player we saw more in the beginning of the season than what we've now seen...he's not giving the effort at all.

Technically they are both top standard players, but is the Dutch league as competitive as ours? Players seem to get caught out by the pace of the game over here and too many of our midfielders just seem to get swamped in the midfield battle. I don't know why though, other teams have got technical footballers as well but they still seem able to  pass the ball around quite effectively.

Guest chopey

Just back from the match and I thought he was terrible today, he looked so lazy and uninterested, we can't have players in our team that sit and sulk when they are asked to play out of position

Guest Howaythetoon

As spectacular a drop in form and promise as Cisse. Yet Wijnaldum is actually a very good footballer. He lacks heart and drive which is unforgivable or would be if he wasn't playing for this utter mess of a club. I'm torn.

Wijnaldum is more than capable of playing well and he would give us a massive boost if he could get back to his best.

It's not his quality that's in question, it's his piss poor attitude, and only he can change that.

He's obviously a good player like, his touch and ball control is top notch and he obviously has an eye for goal but he needs us to be playing with fluidity which we cannot do.

Pretty much any player who lacks physicality or restraint is going to look god awful.

Guest Howaythetoon

Put him in KK's side or Sir Bobby and he's another Lee or Robert in terms of goals and generally being a key player. That doesn't excuse his lack of drive and heart. Him and many others know it will be easier for them to move on in the summer if we are not a Premier League club. Me... I would personally put 100% in whatever the situation, but looking at NUFC and how the club is ran I cannot blame the likes of him for not really giving a fuck.

I thought he played well against Man City, as did most (except Guoffran) in the first half. Mbabu had Sterling in his pocket, and we went to pieces when he went off injured. Aguero, Silva, and De Buyne were exceptional that day, but Gini looked up for it, as if he wanted to prove himself against the best. I expect him to do the same again, and hope he gets the chance. With a few rested players, and a little good luck instead of bad (disallowed goal, key injury) there may just be a good time a coming...

I thought he played well against Man City, as did most (except Guoffran) in the first half. Mbabu had Sterling in his pocket, and we went to pieces when he went off injured. Aguero, Silva, and De Buyne were exceptional that day, but Gini looked up for it, as if he wanted to prove himself against the best. I expect him to do the same again, and hope he gets the chance. With a few rested players, and a little good luck instead of bad (disallowed goal, key injury) there may just be a good time a coming...

Well he scored four goals against Norwich earlier in the season and was shit against them a few weeks ago so I don't hold out much hope on that front