Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

The famous saying goes 'if at first you dont succeed, try, try again', and for Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul, eight years of persistence has finally paid off.

The Magpies' stopper is good friends with Georginio Wijnaldum, who put pen to paper on a five-year deal at St. James' Park on Saturday, arriving from PSV Eindhoven, who he had captained to the Eredivisie title last season.

And after telling his fellow Dutch international all about the merits of a switch to Tyneside, Krul is delighted to finally see Wijnaldum pulling on the famous black and white striped shirt.

"It's nice to see my mate Georginio signing - he's a top player and a great addition to the squad," Krul told nufc.co.uk about the midfielder.

"I've been telling him for years to come here - probably about eight years. You want quality players at the Club and I know just how good he is.

"It's incredible to finally have him. He played a big part in the World Cup in Brazil last summer and was the best player in Holland last year. He has great experience and will bring that to our squad.

"Gini's got unbelievable fitness and will run non-stop for 90 minutes, he's got great ability on the ball and will connect play from defence to attack.

"He's a proper nice guy but a proper professional who wants to win every training session. It doesn't matter if you're his mate or not, he's always on the money and that's the kind of characters you need.

"He's got a bit of everything and I'm buzzing that we've got him because it's not easy to get quality like that in."

Who are thr eredivisie players to England who have been monumental failures recently? The last names I can think of have all done reasonably well, no? It seems to be a worry (that I sort of share) but its starting to feel unfounded.

Some pretty big claims about this guy, isn't there? Eredivisie is obviously a fair way behind the PL, but best player in the division? Sounds promising.

Player of the year in the Netherlands. Of course winners of this award include both Luís Suárez and Alfonso Alves.

Guest chicken little

You should consider the other way. What is the last English player to have made an impact in the Eredivisie? :p

http://www.football-oranje.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Ray-Clarke.jpg

one shit-hot season for ajax, one season at nufc that was plain shit  :lol:

The wide spectrum of players who've excelled in Holland just proves that we should judge each player individually, on their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Another positive of Wijnaldum is that, as captain, he's a leader. We're desperately lacking in on-pitch leaders and I'd not be surprised if McClaren makes him captain.

You should consider the other way. What is the last English player to have made an impact in the Eredivisie? :p

http://www.football-oranje.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Ray-Clarke.jpg

one s***-hot season for ajax, one season at nufc that was plain s***  :lol:

:lol: :thup:

IMO it's not a coincidence that midfielders and wingers tend to do well but strikers struggle.

Romario, Ronaldo, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooij, Zlatan, Kluivert, Van Persie amongst others say hi.

:anguish:

I was talking about PL transfers, majority of strikers from Eredivisie have struggled but midfielders and wingers have had more success.

IMO it's not a coincidence that midfielders and wingers tend to do well but strikers struggle.

Romario, Ronaldo, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooij, Zlatan, Kluivert, Van Persie amongst others say hi.

:anguish:

I was talking about PL transfers, majority of strikers from Eredivisie have struggled but midfielders and wingers have had more success.

http://www.defensacentral.com/userfiles/2014/May_13/luis_suarez.jpg

"WHAT?"

For every Suarez there an afonso alves.

Groundhog day, but I will not have a bad word said about Afonso Alves' record in NL or its significance. He was a world beater in his time at Heerenveen. His failure at Middlesbrough and subseqent money grabbing in The Middle East does not take away from that. He simply went the way many Brazilians have gone before him and was more interested in coon than in his reputation, becoming the best player he possibly could or winning trophies. The PL isn't the be all and end all of football, even if it pays the highest wages.

For every Suarez there an afonso alves.

Groundhog day, but I will not have a bad word said about Afonso Alves' record in NL or its significance. He was a world beater in his time at Heerenveen. His failure at Middlesbrough and subseqent money grabbing in The Middle East does not take away from that. He simply went the way many Brazilians have gone before him and was more interested in coon than in his reputation, becoming the best player he possibly could or winning trophies. The PL isn't the be all and end all of football, even if it pays the highest wages.

This is a great post.