Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

The main argument is, Is he better than Joselu and Gayle.

Probably.

For me theres obviously some personality clash or he just got sick of his poor dicipline. Id bet Rafa would prefer him here if there wasn't an issue, but there quite obviously is.

I love Mitro but sometimes a player fits in a team perfectly sometimes they just don't fit. Mitro doesn't seem to fit in Rafa's preferred system, whether or not he deserved a chance is a moot point, we're 10th are staying up, that's job done.

I say that as someone who thinks Mitro should play up top for us, but Rafa has just achieved a remarkable feat with 6 games to go (i know it's not mathematical yet but good as now). I don't like the Mitro situation but certainly love what's happened to us now.

Rafa has done his job and kept us up by devising & carrying out a plan with what he had (and thought he could get - Kenedy, Dubravka) at his disposal. Because he loaned out Mitrovic, a striker clearly better than Gayle & Joselu, does not mean it's an error on his part. He has simply done his job and kept us in the league by whatever means necessary. Maybe Mitrovic could work under Rafa, maybe he can't, but all is for certain it would have taken time to get them both singing to the same tune, and time we did not have. I'm a massive Mitrovic fan and pray he can score goals in a Newcastle shirt, but saying Rafa has got it wrong with him is unfair imo and seems to undervalue the enormous achievement of Benitez this season.

If this was under any other manager I'd be furious. But it's Rafa. And I trust Rafa implicitly. He's gotten this squad to tenth FFS. If Rafa doesn't think Mitro would work for what he wants to achieve with this team, then I trust that.

This is exactly what it's about. You pick a team, not a group of 11 individuals. If Rafa feels the team is better off with someone other than Mitro in it, then so be it. It doesn't necessarily mean he thinks Mitro is "worse" than Joselu or Gayle, it means (in his best estimation), the team is better off as a whole with one of those two (presumably based on who the opposition is and countless other factors), on that particular day/game.

Obviously it's a decision made in the best interests of the team. But the fact is, Mitro has scored boatloads for Anderlecht, Fulham and Serbia (seems to score almost every game at international level). It's not unreasonable to assume he could do so for us, but Rafa has decided it's not to be. He prefers strikers that basically don't score (but provide other needed team-work and attributes) to a striker who would score given enough time in the team, but one who does not contribute in other ways. Most people think strikers who score consistently are worth their weight in gold but we'll never know if he could be that for us because he was never given the chance others have enjoyed.

Rafa has done his job and kept us up by devising & carrying out a plan with what he had (and thought he could get - Kenedy, Dubravka) at his disposal. Because he loaned out Mitrovic, a striker clearly better than Gayle & Joselu, does not mean it's an error on his part. He has simply done his job and kept us in the league by whatever means necessary. Maybe Mitrovic could work under Rafa, maybe he can't, but all is for certain it would have taken time to get them both singing to the same tune, and time we did not have. I'm a massive Mitrovic fan and pray he can score goals in a Newcastle shirt, but <b>saying Rafa has got it wrong with him is unfair imo and seems to undervalue the enormous achievement of Benitez this season</b>.

It really doesn't. It's just an opinion on one aspect of the playing side. The man has worked miracles under this cunt of an owner, regardless of this.

If this was under any other manager I'd be furious. But it's Rafa. And I trust Rafa implicitly. He's gotten this squad to tenth FFS. If Rafa doesn't think Mitro would work for what he wants to achieve with this team, then I trust that.

This is exactly what it's about. You pick a team, not a group of 11 individuals. If Rafa feels the team is better off with someone other than Mitro in it, then so be it. It doesn't necessarily mean he thinks Mitro is "worse" than Joselu or Gayle, it means (in his best estimation), the team is better off as a whole with one of those two (presumably based on who the opposition is and countless other factors), on that particular day/game.

Obviously it's a decision made in the best interests of the team. But the fact is, Mitro has scored boatloads for Anderlecht, Fulham and Serbia (seems to score almost every game at international level). It's not unreasonable to assume he could do so for us, but Rafa has decided it's not to be. He prefers strikers that basically don't score (but provide other needed team-work and attributes) to a striker who would score given enough time in the team, but one who does not contribute in other ways. Most people think strikers who score consistently are worth their weight in gold but we'll never know if he could be that for us because he was never given the chance others have enjoyed.

And if you think he's wrong for that then that's your prerogative. It's my prerogative to trust that Rafa gets more out of this team as a whole without Mitro than with. Like I said above, I know I'd be on your side of the argument if it was any other manager but that's because aside from Sir Bobby and Keegan, we've not had a manager in my lifetime whose vision I trust. But Rafa falls into that category for me and for that, I'm disappointed it's not worked out for Mitro here but I equally have faith in whatever reasons Rafa has for not playing him. :dontknow:

Rafa has done his job and kept us up by devising & carrying out a plan with what he had (and thought he could get - Kenedy, Dubravka) at his disposal. Because he loaned out Mitrovic, a striker clearly better than Gayle & Joselu, does not mean it's an error on his part. He has simply done his job and kept us in the league by whatever means necessary. Maybe Mitrovic could work under Rafa, maybe he can't, but all is for certain it would have taken time to get them both singing to the same tune, and time we did not have. I'm a massive Mitrovic fan and pray he can score goals in a Newcastle shirt, but <b>saying Rafa has got it wrong with him is unfair imo and seems to undervalue the enormous achievement of Benitez this season</b>.

It really doesn't. It's just an opinion on one aspect of the playing side. The man has worked miracles under this cunt of an owner, regardless of this.

Yes, but maybe the reason Mitrovic had to go out on loan is because Rafa knew he needed quick results and to get a team playing a certain style of football with some immediacy. Had Rafa persevered with Mitrovic in spite of this, it could have been very damaging. Therefore it is hard to see it as an error, more as a cog in his great achievements with us this season.

And if you think he's wrong for that then that's your prerogative. It's my prerogative to trust that Rafa gets more out of this team as a whole without Mitro than with. Like I said above, I know I'd be on your side of the argument if it was any other manager but that's because aside from Sir Bobby and Keegan, we've not had a manager in my lifetime whose vision I trust. But Rafa falls into that category for me and for that, I'm disappointed it's not worked out for Mitro here but I equally have faith in whatever reasons Rafa has for not playing him. :dontknow:

Totally fair and reasonable comment and I don't disagree with any of it. I just wanted the lad to be given a run in the team so he could be judged properly for us. It's not happening and that's that  :thup:

He was given plenty of chances in the Champo with us but the fact is, he was comfortably out performed by Gayle and even Darryl Murphy. If he 'd played like this for us last season, he probably would have started the season as our number one striker, but he didn't and then any chances he might have had disappered with that brain dead elbow against West Ham.

I've never been convinced with him myself but have been impressed by some of the finishes I've seen at Fulham.....who knows, perhaps the penny has finally dropped for him and he's getting his head down and listening to his coach.....something that wasn't happening here.

Apart from personal issues/understandings between the two, we'd be missing a trick not getting him back. Especially looking at our current strikers. We've effectively loaned our best player out. From what I understand Rafa rates Gayle more as a counter attacking player. Which in turn would have kept Mitro on the bench from the start, and made him want to be loaned out.

Don't be silly man.

Yes, but maybe the reason Mitrovic had to go out on loan is because Rafa knew he needed quick results and to get a team playing a certain style of football with some immediacy. Had Rafa persevered with Mitrovic in spite of this, it could have been very damaging. Therefore it is hard to see it as an error, more as a cog in his great achievements with us this season.

You could well be right, the results have been excellent since new year, a marvelous achievement on the pitiful budget allowed. The overall point is, nobody knows what he could have done because he wasn't given a proper chance, it's not like he was given 15-20 straight games and failed. So we'll never know and let's face it, not much point in debating beyond that because he's just going to end up a small footnote in our history anyway.

Apart from personal issues/understandings between the two, we'd be missing a trick not getting him back. Especially looking at our current strikers. We've effectively loaned our best player out. From what I understand Rafa rates Gayle more as a counter attacking player. Which in turn would have kept Mitro on the bench from the start, and made him want to be loaned out.

Don't be silly man.

Oh fuck :lol: Not best player, of course. I meant striker.

He was given plenty of chances in the Champo with us but the fact is, he was comfortably out performed by Gayle and even Darryl Murphy. If he 'd played like this for us last season, he probably would have started the season as our number one striker, but he didn't and then any chances he might have had disappered with that brain dead elbow against West Ham.

I've never been convinced with him myself but have been impressed by some of the finishes I've seen at Fulham.....who knows, perhaps the penny has finally dropped for him and he's getting his head down and listening to his coach.....something that wasn't happening here.

I'd have to check but I'd be surprised if he started more than 6-8 games as first choice striker last season. I don't think that's "plenty". Recall he scored 4 in 2 against Preston, didn't score in the next game and was back on the bench right after. Basically Gayle played when fit and got in a rythmn until the injury in January. Gayle has so far been a complete failure in the prem, Mitro has scored goals in the prem, and in a struggling side as well. But he's not going to get the chance for us.

You could well be right, the results have been excellent since new year, a marvelous achievement on the pitiful budget allowed. The overall point is, nobody knows what he could have done because he wasn't given a proper chance, it's not like he was given 15-20 straight games and failed. So we'll never know and let's face it, not much point in debating beyond that because he's just going to end up a small footnote in our history anyway.

Even the player himself has said he isn't suited to our style of play. What would have been the point of playing him for 15-20 games, to the detriment of the team?

I'd have to check but I'd be surprised if he started more than 6-8 games as first choice striker last season. I don't think that's "plenty". Recall he scored 4 in 2 against Preston, didn't score in the next game and was back on the bench right after. Basically Gayle played when fit and got in a rythmn until the injury in January. Gayle has so far been a complete failure in the prem, Mitro has scored goals in the prem, and in a struggling side as well. But he's not going to get the chance for us.

He started 11, 14 as sub, apart from that great week against Preston, he never looked anywhere near as good as the way he has played at Fulham.......and certainly nowhere near as well as Gayle or Murphy either. Some of his performances were terrible, Blackburn at home sticks in the mind in particular when he couldn't even be arsed to challenge for headers.

Like I say, maybe the penny has dropped for in which case, I hope he's here next season to challenge for a place.

Even the player himself has said he isn't suited to our style of play. What would have been the point of playing him for 15-20 games, to the detriment of the team?

Ok, how exactly is playing Joselu dramatically different tactically (or otherwise) than playing Mitro? Both none-too-mobile big lads who play with their back to goal and who rely on good service? It's the same thing, only Mitro can actually hit a barn door. The lad is only 23/24, can't he be given time to learn some tactical discipline if that's the issue? I just don't believe this line at all.

Maybe the penny will drop like you said and he's back next year. I'd think Rafa would be the perfect father-figure coach for a young lad needing some guidance.

He started 11, 14 as sub, apart from that great week against Preston, he never looked anywhere near as good as the way he has played at Fulham.......and certainly nowhere near as well as Gayle or Murphy either. Some of his performances were terrible, Blackburn at home sticks in the mind in particular when he couldn't even be arsed to challenge for headers.

Like I say, maybe the penny has dropped for in which case, I hope he's here next season to challenge for a place.

My point was, he got dropped pretty much no matter what he did. Mentally that's got to be difficult, knowing you're not getting a run. He already displayed a maturity issue but I thought that was somewhat understandable given he was a young foreign striker, expected to provide the majority of our goals in a struggling team destined for relegation.

I don't agree that it's a given Mitro is done here. I suspect he probably is, and it'll probably be best for all parties involved - we can (hopefully) get a good fee that Rafa can use to buy someone who will better fit in and strengthen whatever system he's looking to build. Mitro gets a move somewhere he'll play regular football.

But it's not written in stone yet. I think the most you can argue right now is that Mitro should've been given more of a chance in the Prem, but there's not really been that much time to do it. Joselu was a new signing, it makes sense Rafa gave him his fair chance to bed in. And then by January, he had to act - things looked bad for us and the ONLY priority then was to keep the team up. If he was forced to juggle wages to bring in those players on loan who've had a massive impact in keeping us up, then Mitro presumably was an unfortunate sacrifice. But one that has (touch wood) unquestionably paid off and we're staying up (again, touch wood  :lol:).

But I see some implication that Mitro's good form for Fulham somehow proves he's better than Joselu/Gayle - I think that he is, but that fact does not prove it whatsoever - and is being used to justify Rafa being 'wrong' about Mitro. That's silly, at best it can be used to argue he deserves more of a chance here, which again I agree with, but no more. Maybe if Fat Mike was less tight with the purse strings we could've brought in those loanees without moving Mitro out, and he'd still be here and perhaps getting more games.

Rafa is just flat out wrong on this one, he doesn't get much wrong but fuck knows how he could prefer Hoss-a-loo lumbering around or Gayle to Mits. Just plain weird, he scores in every other team he plays for constantly. Couldn't care less if he's shite and lazy in training if he's doing his fucking job every week.

Nah, you're wrong

Great argument  :lol:

It's ok to love Rafa and admit he's wrong once in a blue moon kinell  :lol:

OK, well first and foremost he doesn't fit into our system, despite what you think of Gayle and.joselu in front of goal they follow Rafas instructions and work their arses off, this has a positive knock on effect for the rest of the team - defend from the front and all that. This is the fundamental reason he was never picked.

Then you've got the rumours of.him not doing as he's told in training, not really endearing himself to the manager.

Last season there were a few occasions where he started where he showed zero striker.instinct

He's also mental.

That aside.i quite like him and hope.he does well but Rafa got this one bang on especially if we end up picking up 20million for him.

Ok, how exactly is playing Joselu dramatically different tactically (or otherwise) than playing Mitro? Both none-too-mobile big lads who play with their back to goal and who reply on crosses mostly for goals? It's the same bloody thing, only Mitro can actually hit a barn door. The lad is only 23 or something, can't he be given time to learn some tactical discipline if that's the issue? I just don't believe this line at all.

Of course he can. I think the main difference is Joselu grafts for the team without the ball, something which Benitez demands and not something we've ever really seen from Mitrovic.......he's utter toss apart from that mind.

Don’t think I’ve seen any ‘graft’ from Joselu without the ball other than his debut.

He’s inferior in every way possible like. The softest big striker I think we’ve ever had.

I could understand Mitro being ostracised if we had a better option than him at the club, we don’t. You can argue Gayle and Perez suit Rafa’s style better, which I agree with - but Gayle’s goalscoring has been atrocious at this level and Mitro even in his debut season has a much better record at this level.

Mitro and Perez complement each other really well too.

Don’t think I’ve seen any ‘graft’ from Joselu without the ball other than his debut.

He’s inferior in every way possible like. The softest big striker I think we’ve ever had.

I could understand Mitro being ostracised if we had a better option than him at the club, we don’t. You can argue Gayle and Perez suit Rafa’s style better, which I agree with - but Gayle’s goalscoring has been atrocious at this level and Mitro even in his debut season has a much better record at this level.

Would we be where we are if mitro had of started all the games? Hmmm, I doubt it.

Don't even know why this is an issue to be honest, all parties are happy.

This. He's not just utter shite. He's lazy shite. Every thing he does is lethargic and tired even when he comes on as a sub, couple that with eyes and he genuinely looks like a man who has no energy at all. He'll move out wide, then take about a year to get back in the middle. And he's weak as piss for a striker that size.