Portland Timbers 4 - 3 Newcastle United (Game link in OP)

Nobody

Gouffran was appalling all game.  Had one of those first touches that creates opposition counter attacks.  And once he got the ball under (relative) control, he was his typical ponderous self when picking passes.  The usual routine was to wonder to within a couple of yards of a fellow player, demand the ball, spend a while controlling it, wonder around a bit and finally under-hit a simple pass back to where he got it from.

I f***ing hate the man.

Aye he's a bit of a daydreamer like!

Back 5 of Darlow, Bigi, Ferguson, Satka and Aaron's was always going to get destroyed by anyone whose ever even seen a football. All of their defenders were 6ft plus. Ferguson was our second tallest defender at 5'9.

Not reading too much into it. I'll worry after the Sheffield and BM games if its the same.

There's definitely being too much read into these friendlies but I think it's sunk in for me that it's going to take more than a pre-season for our new coaches to implement their style on these players. I guess a bit of patience is going to be required. #wait

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/steve-mcclaren-why-i-had-to-name-that-newcastle-defence-in-portland-1-7371071

After the friendly, McClaren said Fabricio Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson and Jamaal Lascelles couldn’t play on the artificial surface at Providence Park.

“We had six of seven who couldn’t play on this surface, and quite a few played who we only wanted to have a small amount of time (on the pitch) because of troubles they get,” said McClaren.

I get why Colo and Taylor couldn't play on such a surface with their injury records but surprised about Williamson and especially Lascelles.

Still doesn't answer the question why he thought a 4'10" left winger would be a good option to slot in at centre half. Just goes to show he doesn't give a rat fuck about the results, or even the performance, really...

Why the hell did they pick a team to play on a shitty pitch again - go all the way to america and then decide half the team cannot even play.

On this basis, the result is absolutely academic as it was not in anyway a reflection of the team moving forwards.  Pointless waste of time IMO, even if there were some positives from the game (e.g. Aarons). Next

Why the hell did they pick a team to play on a shitty pitch again - go all the way to america and then decide half the team cannot even play.

Guess we can thank the great John Carver and Lee Charnley for that. Absolutely useless people.

Guess we can thank the great John Carver and Lee Charnley for that. Absolutely useless people.

John Carver? :lol:

John Carver? :lol:

Aye, didn't he said that he was involved in planning the pre-season?

Says it all really.  Thinking about it there is no way McClaren would have been involved in the plans so we cannot blame him (or the team) really.

Be interesting to see how much improvement there will be when we are back on home soil and the new lads are all in (Mbemba as well please).

Guest Roger Kint

Says it all really.  Thinking about it there is no way McClaren would have been involved in the plans so we cannot blame him (or the team) really.

Not sure about that, we didnt confirm(and by that i mean the other clubs confirmed) our tour til 1 June or something. SMc was all but nailed on manager from late April. He must have had some form of input

Dunno, there will be months of planning and organisation that will go into a preseason tour.  Coaches, planes, hotels, training venues etc. will all have probably been booked way earlier than the announcement and plans were probably well advanced by April.

Guest Roger Kint

Dunno, there will be months of planning and organisation that will go into a preseason tour.  Coaches, planes, hotels, training venues etc. will all have probably been booked way earlier than the announcement and plans were probably well advanced by April.

No chance we played those three teams after months of planning like :lol:

Especially considering the mackems didnt get their games sorted til after us too, the entire pre season is a clusterfuck of garbage sides reeking of last minute panic