Portland Timbers 4 - 3 Newcastle United (Game link in OP)

Nobody

Still doesn't answer the question why he thought a 4'10" left winger would be a good option to slot in at centre half. Just goes to show he doesn't give a rat fuck about the results, or even the performance, really...

Precisely, Abeid could have played alongside Satka for example and would have been a much better fit.

The whole artificial pitch causes injuries thing is a load of rubbish anyway. There's no difference in injury rates or recovery periods following injuries whilst on artificial surfaces compared to those picked up on grass.

Says it all really.  Thinking about it there is no way McClaren would have been involved in the plans so we cannot blame him (or the team) really.

Not sure about that, we didnt confirm(and by that i mean the other clubs confirmed) our tour til 1 June or something. SMc was all but nailed on manager from late April. He must have had some form of input

His interview after Gateshead(?) suggested that he didn't really want the team to go there. Said it wasn't ideal with the travelling and he'd have preferred Europe. Didn't sound like it was in his hands.

Guest Roger Kint

Says it all really.  Thinking about it there is no way McClaren would have been involved in the plans so we cannot blame him (or the team) really.

Not sure about that, we didnt confirm(and by that i mean the other clubs confirmed) our tour til 1 June or something. SMc was all but nailed on manager from late April. He must have had some form of input

His interview after Gateshead(?) suggested that he didn't really want the team to go there. Said it wasn't ideal with the travelling and he'd have preferred Europe. Didn't sound like it was in his hands.

Maybe not but if there was a better alternative they could easily have changed the plans. All that says is that due to the timing we had no better options, as evidenced by the late confirmations of York, Shef Utd etc too. Its very much a half arsed, no preparation pre season in every sense. No hope this was all months of thought and planning :lol:

Pair of absolute beauties from Aarons. Hopefully that puts him well ahead of Alsoran in the manager's mind.

TBF Obertan played well last night causing the opposition the most trouble. Aarons did well along with Perez who was the only one out of the rest who really lifted a leg first 70mins.

Fergie and Bigi were exposed out of position. Saktar had a mare all game sadly. Abeid was careless as was Sissoko and Goufran. Winegum was fairly neat and tidy with a nice finish. Armstrong just ran around like a headless chicken as per usual. Jaalmat, Anita and SDJ were composed when they came on. Neither keeper convinced.

Still doesn't answer the question why he thought a 4'10" left winger would be a good option to slot in at centre half. Just goes to show he doesn't give a rat f*** about the results, or even the performance, really...

Precisely, Abeid could have played alongside Satka for example and would have been a much better fit.

:lol: Can people just stop with this ridiculous Mehdi Abeid love-in?

If he played alongside Satka at CB he would have been exposed in an unnatural position and done no better than Ferguson. Then you'd be like "Oh well if he played in his natural position he would have been one of the best players on the pitch and the back 4 would have been better with him covering it".

As it was he played in his favoured CM role and looked absolutely lost and shocking as he has done every time I've seen him play apart from those 2 months when he looked good. Even Gouffran looked better than him for christs sake and I'm not even fucking exaggerating. When are people going to see all he had was just a short spell of decency? McClaren won't play him, let alone start him because the reality is he's not good enough.

Still doesn't answer the question why he thought a 4'10" left winger would be a good option to slot in at centre half. Just goes to show he doesn't give a rat f*** about the results, or even the performance, really...

[emoji38] Can people just stop with this ridiculous Mehdi Abeid love-in?

If he played alongside Satka at CB he would have been exposed in an unnatural position and done no better than Ferguson. Then you'd be like "Oh well if he played in his natural position he would have been one of the best players on the pitch and the back 4 would have been better with him covering it".

As it was he played in his favoured CM role and looked absolutely lost and shocking as he has done every time I've seen him play apart from those 2 months when he looked good. Even Gouffran looked better than him for christs sake and I'm not even fucking exaggerating. When are people going to see all he had was just a short spell of decency? McClaren won't play him, let alone start him because the reality is he's not good enough.

Gouffran did not look better than Abeid, well sorry he might have but that's by virtue of the fact he just wandered about doing fuck all.

If you can't see the sense in playing Abeid at CB ahead of Shane Ferguson your opinion is worthless.

There's no sense in playing either of them at CB! Neither of them are centre half's and Abeid is only an inch or so taller than Ferguson so he has little to zero advantage over him in this game. The point I made was that if he did play in CB you'd inevitably come out with the excuse I mentioned before and now he has played in his favoured position and looked shit you've just said "Oh well he'd have been better than Ferguson at CB".

Fact is he didn't play there and he didn't look better, he was one of our worst players and had no clue what he was doing on the pitch in his own position.

Whelp, don't know why I decided to waste time and watch that until the 80th minute just now.

Satka, always read his name as "Sakta" which means "slowly" in Swedish, looked very Williamsonesque in movement. Very ponderous and like he's fighting his own body to just keep control of it. Didn't look very promising sadly.

Darlow seems to be as good as Krul when it comes to kicking the ball under the slightest hint of pressure. Lacked confidence when dealing with crosses too.

Bigi should be given a chance in the middle again before I'll have any opinion on him.

Have played a few times on artifical grass. It was a few years ago now, but I don't remember noticing a big difference in playing on it compared to normal grass.

The stuff that flies around when the ball bounces for example are small rubber balls I think.

That is some top level bollocks right there.

As it was he played in his favoured CM role and looked absolutely lost and shocking as he has done every time I've seen him play apart from those 2 months when he looked good. Even Gouffran looked better than him for christs sake and I'm not even f***ing exaggerating. When are people going to see all he had was just a short spell of decency? McClaren won't play him, let alone start him because the reality is he's not good enough.

That is some top level bollocks right there.

:lol: of course.

Those '2 months where he looked good' are all we've seen of him since he came back from 18 months of loans, and they were better than anything we've seen from Colback or Anita in there time at the club. So stop talking shite.

Absolutely not true, he's played games before and after then and he's looked shit. So stop talking shit.

He started 10 games last season. Wins against Gillingham, Palace, Man City, Liverpool, Villa, West Brom; a draw against Burnley and then defeats to Liverpool, Spurs and Man Utd during the Carver shitstorm

Fact is in our good run of last season, where we more or less ensured we'd stay up and got to a cup quarter final, he was a key player in the midfield. This was his first run in the team after 18 months of loans in 2 different countries. Why you'd judge him on anything he did 3 years ago as a 19 year old is anybody's guess.