Portland Timbers 4 - 3 Newcastle United (Game link in OP)

Nobody

The whole artificial pitch causes injuries thing is a load of rubbish anyway. There's no difference in injury rates or recovery periods following injuries whilst on artificial surfaces compared to those picked up on grass.

I'd probably trust our coaching staff on that one, no offence.

:lol:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/steve-mcclaren-why-i-had-to-name-that-newcastle-defence-in-portland-1-7371071

After the friendly, McClaren said Fabricio Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson and Jamaal Lascelles couldn’t play on the artificial surface at Providence Park.

“We had six of seven who couldn’t play on this surface, and quite a few played who we only wanted to have a small amount of time (on the pitch) because of troubles they get,” said McClaren.

Not being able to play on a surface hasn't stopped Williamson and Gouffran from turning out on grass pitches....

Judging Abeid on 1 game back when he had THAT back 3 behind him and then giving a clear pass to Colback :lol: seriously gtfo with that crap. He demand the ball, switched play, played it quickly, played some good 1-2s and was holding up well to many challenges coming in and keeping possession. Thought he did fine. Was more shocked at our inability to cross the ball to anyone numerous times. We had Little Bigi, Shane Ferguson and Satka playing back there. We weren't going to have a Clean sheet ever with that team.

Haven't been following this, what the fuck was the point in playing that defence? Has he said? There's rotating the side and giving everyone a run-out and there's naming a side that is completely and utterly mental.

Haven't been following this, what the f*** was the point in playing that defence? Has he said? There's rotating the side and giving everyone a run-out and there's naming a side that is completely and utterly mental.

Literally every other CB was unable to play due to the FieldTurf

People act as if artificial grass is like lava. It's not that bad :lol: we should still be able to function on it without knees collapsing or that.

artificial turf > s*** grass. Last time I played on grass it was so awful that 4 people got injured, 2 pretty seriously :lol:

It's not as if it's easy to find out what field surface is installed at any given stadium before booking a friendly there. Certainly you couldn't find that sort of information on an immensely popular crowd-sourced encyclopedia. Blast this disinformation age.

:lol: So Carver planned this pre-season?  Sacramento Kings, or whatever they were called and the Timbers B team?

Holy shit. There's a universe where he got the gig, and we just got washed by the Timbers B squad. I can't even imagine the fury.

Well this was a game to tell the grandchildren about. What an absolute abortion of a match. I just don't get why the f*** we bother with these USA trips. Can you honestly tell me they somehow make more money out of this (considering flights, hotels and anything else for a squad full of players) from shirt sales or whatever? How the hell is playing like THAT going to attract anything other than backslapping and high fives from Portland Timbers fans ffs? Who would want to support or invest in us considering the way we've went about the whole thing? On the back of playing like that, with those players on show? In what way, shape or form does this constitute preparation for a 38 game premier league season?

Good job NUFC on alienating your own home support playing so far away with bullshit kick off times, embarrassing yourself once again on the pitch to s**** opposition and looking like absolutely no progress has been made over summer whatsoever. I'd forgive it in a way if something productive or lucrative actually came from this, but I get the impression they don't.

You know, I actually get that the turn around from being managed by a farce of a management and coaching setup can take time (I remember how long it took KK to turn that team around after the Allardyce debacle) but the majority felt or knew progress was being made and didn't bitch and moan about it, but this under McClaren feels completely different. Even he looked like he didn't give a s*** yesterday, which says it all. If pre season is all about fitness and results don't necessarily matter (I still argue they do, to a degree) then why did everybody involved bar one or two look like they didn't put much effort in or give a s*** on the whole?

These games are essentially training sessions TBH, made worse by the team selection, opposition, pitch and all that. We can learn absolutely zero from that game.

How can you say we can learn zero from that game, though (or even this your as a whole)? It's not lost on me what the purpose of these games are, but I'd expect to see a bit more from everybody involved, or at least an indication that things are changing or beginning to change, I.E the product of coaching and training being bedded in. This is why you actually play against an opposition instead of having an inter-squad kick around or fitness drills, non? What purpose does Gouffran having the captains armband, losing the ball and proceeding to walk around serve, exactly?

Don't tell me you're defending the last few weeks in some way?

Our pre-seasons are the same every year, most of the games seem to be a run out for squad players whilst those who will actually be required in the Premier League are barely seen for one reason or another. By far and away Obertan's favourite time of year.

Our pre-seasons are the same every year, most of the games seem to be a run out for squad players whilst those who will actually be required in the Premier League are barely seen for one reason or another. By far and away Obertan's favourite time of year.

It's just mental though. I can't get my head around it :lol:

It's mental because you watch and hear about other teams' trips to the U.S. and they're playing the top MLS teams in sold out stadiums. Including motherfucking Sunderland who's playing Toronto FC this week. Sunderland. Isn't that the point of pre-season? Yes, it's not meant to be competitive,  but at least play against the top tier MLS sides, and not fucking USL, a league which is worse than the Championship, and still lose to them?!

Aye. The home game which comes a week before the season starts usually has 80-90% of the starting team on the field, and everyone always wonders why it looks disjointed and rusty as fuck. Mainly because said players haven't kicked a ball between themselves for more than twenty minutes previously.

I think the biggest thing we can learn is that the team is playing a lot less hoofball. Wijnaldum and Anita will help a lot at keeping the ball and playing it out from the back. Even Krul seems to take short kicks more.

Of course positions are all over the place and cant say much.

Has anyone from the club elaborated on why our defenders couldn't play on the pitch? 

I'm pretty sure all of them train on artifical pitches regularly enough so what's the deal with this one?

Might have something to do with Cabella and Riviere getting injured so early on, and didn't want to risk our vulnerable defence? No idea why you'd not want to risk Willo though tbh.