Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

In an ideal world I'd like to see. 

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba    Colo  Haidara

Wijnaldum    Sissoko

Perez          De Jong          Aarons

Mitrovic/Cisse

But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I know, I don't want that either. It just sounds like he needs Wijnaldum pushed up far further? If only we just played with real fluidity you could really just keep a spine of DM, De Jong (being the central link) and Mitrovic. Having Perez, Wijnaldum, and Sissoko constantly working together to get to attacking.

Krul

Wijnaldum    Sissoko

Mitrovic/Cisse

My team too.

I know, I don't want that either. It just sounds like he needs Wijnaldum pushed up far further? If only we just played with real fluidity you could really just keep a spine of DM, De Jong (being the central link) and Mitrovic. Having Perez, Wijnaldum, and Sissoko constantly working together to get to attacking.

De Jong causes an issue IMO, i really think Mitrovic flanked by Perez and Aarons with Sissoko and Wijnaldum making runs behind Mitrovic could be class with someone holding it all together behind them.

Krul

Wijnaldum    Sissoko

Mitrovic/Cisse

My team too.

On paper yes. In reality fuck no, one of our biggest problems of recent times has always been the lack of protection the defence has received and this side provides absolutely no protection.

We'd have to revert to a 433 and swap De Jong for a decent holding player (which of course we don't have) for it to stand a chance.

De Jong causes an issue IMO, i really think Mitrovic flanked by Perez and Aarons with Sissoko and Wijnaldum making runs behind Mitrovic could be class with someone holding it all together behind them.

:thup:

If we had a capable holder then this would be ideal but we just don't have a player who is physically imposing enough for the roll.

I wonder if this is where the link from Lemina originated from, he'd do the job from the looks of it.

Ain't got a problem with that either.

I just really couldn't give a single crap about defensive midfielders anymore. We'd solve this problem with a strong CB pairing IMO.

Krul

Wijnaldum    Sissoko

Mitrovic/Cisse

My team too.

On paper yes. In reality f*** no, one of our biggest problems of recent times has always been the lack of protection the defence has received and this side provides absolutely no protection.

We'd have to revert to a 433 and swap De Jong for a decent holding player (which of course we don't have) for it to stand a chance.

I agree.

Think we'll chop and change line-ups a lot in the first few games tbh. Pre-season has barely been of use in terms of seeing combinations / understandings etc. Could well be to the detriment of results too.

So after 5 weeks of pre-season training and 7 pre-season friendlies (failing to win 5 of them) we still have absolutely no idea what the entire spine of the team is going to be. No idea who will start in the centre of defence, no idea who will lead the line and no idea about the formation and personnel of the midfield. 6 injuries to the first team squad (including the captain).

Not going to pretend I've got a clue about who or how we'll play but I'm rapidly losing any meagre semblance of faith/hope I had in McClaren being a fresh start. He's publically toeing the party line, he's starting players that shouldn't be playing in this division and we're still making the same stupid mistakes in the first third that have been prevalent for the last 3 years.

Fully aware that this could all change once the competitive games start and we suddenly flick the switch and look competent, it's happened before. Hope this is the case and we get off to a decent start and we've got 25-30 points by Xmas but I've seen nothing so far to convince me that this will take place. Still loads of work to do on and off the park. Let's hope they're up to it...

So after 5 weeks of pre-season training and 7 pre-season friendlies (failing to win 5 of them) we still have absolutely no idea what the entire spine of the team is going to be. No idea who will start in the centre of defence, no idea who will lead the line and no idea about the formation and personnel of the midfield. 6 injuries to the first team squad (including the captain).

Not going to pretend I've got a clue about who or how we'll play but I'm rapidly losing any meagre semblance of faith/hope I had in McClaren being a fresh start. He's publically toeing the party line, he's starting players that shouldn't be playing in this division and we're still making the same stupid mistakes in the first third that have been prevalent for the last 3 years.

But apart from that it's all good :thup:

(1) I think we'll eventually see Sissoko as a CM next to a partner (with license to get forward constantly)

(2) I think we'll see Wijnaldum in one of the front 3 behind striker positions, assuming that will be wide right or left.

(3) I also think Perez is being touted as a starter wide left b/c of his abilities.

(4) Sounds like De Jong is the central linchpin, did I hear him right saying that he was "our best player" ? or did I hear that wrong?

Think he said De Jong was Ajax best player, seemed to like him though, queue a Pardew style benching in favour of someone totally unsuited to the number 10 role instead :)

Sissoko will def start on the right. Tbh was a bit creepy, sounded like McClaren has the hots for him

Sounds like it'll be

Krul

Janmaat Williamson Taylor Haidara

Anita Colback

Sissoko        De Jong    Wijnaldum

Mitrovic

Sounded like he only wants Wijnaldum further back when we're chasing a game.

Krul

Anita Colback

Mitrovic

Krul

Anita Colback

Mitrovic

Happy days.

Going to be a tough game but Southampton are away in Europe on Thursday, so hopefully that'll will help us.

:spit:  :pardsbeard:

:lol: Christ if they're feeling effects from a Thursday Europa match on Saturday this early in the season, they might as well relegate themselves now.

Sunday :pow:

:yao:  clearly this match is important to me :lol:

Has Sissoko ever played as a CM? Even for France he's on the wing.

Spent his entire toulouse career playing centre mid

I think thats why McLaren doesnt want Toulouse him :bluestar:

One of Wijnaldum or Sissoko is going to be out of position this season, simple as that really. I can handle Moussa down the right because he won't be literally the only player bringing the ball forward, with a but of luck.

Anita, Wijnaldum, De Jong - Sissoko, Perez, Mitrovic has got potential, but it'll take some serious patience. It'll also takean injury to Colback.

Thanks, guys. It's odd that we've persisted with Colback and Anita when both are small and lightweight and instead have put our bigger more powerful players on the wing. It's the complete opposite of what every other club has done for generations.

Cabella, Aarons, De Jong, Sissoko, Mitrovic, Perez, Cisse, Wijnaldum, Anita...Tiote, Colback. There's 11 players all with differing amounts of strengths who'll need to be blended into an efficient attacking unit. The talent is there but it needs a good manager to get the right balance.

The defence is just a holocaust atm.