Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Southampton won't be spending much time on countering us in training anyway, they'll be listing ways to rip our midfield and defence to shreds.

We think that but every single Premier League team scouts their opposition and if they don't know who is going to play it causes issues in reality.

Southampton won't be spending much time on countering us in training anyway, they'll be listing ways to rip our midfield and defence to shreds.

We think that but every single Premier League team scouts their opposition and if they don't know who is going to play it causes issues in reality.

We didn't bother with Pardew or Carver as neither of them knew tactics/formation if it smacked them in the face. Same team, save negative football whoever we played against. 

Krul, Janmaat, Haidara, Cisse are the least of the worries for me. I'm hoping its Anita + Gini central, with De Jong supporting the CF and the wingers made up of Perez/Aarons (Perez more of an inside forward) and Sissoko. I'm praying the CB combo is Mbemba + Colo or Mbemba + Taylor as well.

If he throws on Williamson, Colback, Gouffran or Obertan - THAT is the real issue for me.

We didn't bother with Pardew or Carver as neither of them knew tactics/formation if it smacked them in the face. Same team, save negative football whoever we played against.

Eh? I was talking about i hope McClaren is trying to deflect attention so Southampton don't realise who we will play. As every single PL team they will scout us and if they don't know who we are going to play it's going to cause issues for them.

Krul, Janmaat, Haidara, Cisse are the least of the worries for me. I'm hoping its Anita + Gini central, with De Jong supporting the CF and the wingers made up of Perez/Aarons (Perez more of an inside forward) and Sissoko. I'm praying the CB combo is Mbemba + Colo or Mbemba + Taylor as well.

If he throws on Williamson, Colback, Gouffran or Obertan - THAT is the real issue for me.

You're a wise, wise man.

Just been on a southampton forum and the general consensus there is that our centre backs are crap and that if they run at us with pace they will crucify us, few mentions of williamson being a turd. just seems to sum up what all of us, and rest of pre league, can see that it is our weak point.

They are also asking for a new centre half (VD from celtic) and are worried that their defense may let them down.

Just been on a southampton forum and the general consensus there is that our centre backs are crap and that if they run at us with pace they will crucify us, few mentions of williamson being a turd. just seems to sum up what all of us, and rest of pre league, can see that it is our weak point.

They are also asking for a new centre half (VD from celtic) and are worried that their defense may let them down.

Sounds about right.

I'd go with...

Krul             

Taylor      Mbemba

Janmaat                            Haidara

Anita

Sissoko                Wijndalum

de Jong

Perez                Cisse

Ignoring the fact that I don't think we've played a diamond midfield at all this preseason, but whatever.

I'd go with...

Krul             

Taylor      Mbemba

Janmaat                            Haidara

Anita

Sissoko                Wijndalum

de Jong

Perez                Cisse

Ignoring the fact that I don't think we've played a diamond midfield at all this preseason, but whatever.

From what I know is available, I would start:

Krul

Janmaat      Taylor    Wiliamson    Haidara

Colback      Wijndalum

Sissoko                Perez            Aarons

Mitrovic

---------------

The defense is fairly terrible, but there are two injuries at centreback and Mbemba is just arriving. There isn't much one can do. There are a lot of selection headaches and options when picking the midfield, wide positions, and upfront. This is a fantastic thing. Hopefully McClaren is not the type to give people automatic places in the squad. Colback, Georginio, Moussa, Aarons, Perez, and Mitrovic all have players to challenge them. De Jong especially would be unlucky to miss out.

A diamond is probably the best fit for the players we have outside of Aarons, not sure it's ever going to be considered though :lol:

The fullbacks are not good enough attackers for it (diamond midfield often end up quite narrow). Well, Janmaat maybe is, but Haidara is wasteful and out of control when going forward, imo.

Whether Colback starts or doesn't is the least of our worries.

I'd say it's a pretty big issue as it will set the tone for the style of play we expect to use this season.

I'll be delighted if we go with Anita and Wijnaldum in the centre but I fear we won't.

Southampton have to be the best bet of the opening weekend at 17/10. I also reckon Southampton to win both halves at 7/1 is huge.

Best thing about supporting us is the ease in which we can make decent money betting.

Intrigued to see what formation we go for. Going to be a tough game but Southampton are away in Europe on Thursday, so hopefully that'll will help us. Well up for a big drink on Sunday. Hardly drank much past month. Ready to get involved. Day off work Monday, so PS4 and KFC for me. Hopefully after 3 points.

Southampton have to be the best bet of the opening weekend at 17/10. I also reckon Southampton to win both halves at 7/1 is huge.

Best thing about supporting us is the ease in which we can make decent money betting.

100% of teams in Europe have never won a game again after playing in the Europa League though.

Going to be a tough game but Southampton are away in Europe on Thursday, so hopefully that'll will help us.

:spit:  :pardsbeard:

:lol: Christ if they're feeling effects from a Thursday Europa match on Saturday this early in the season, they might as well relegate themselves now.

Quite depressing how even other clubs fans can see the obvious yet a professional football club worth hundreds of millions can't address it.

Going to be a tough game but Southampton are away in Europe on Thursday, so hopefully that'll will help us.

:lol: Christ if they're feeling effects from a Thursday Europa match on Saturday this early in the season, they might as well relegate themselves now.

Surely they are most likely to be tired on the first game of the season?

Sunday :pow:

Surely they are most likely to be tired on the first game of the season?

Most likely to be match fit.