Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

I don't really buy this 'Anita going off changed the game' talk. All of our good play came through Sissoko and Wijnaldum and they both faded badly. Can't see how Anita could've changed the fact that literally everyone looked tired for the last 30 minutes. That itself is obviously a joke, pre-season was garbage.

Overall we looked a lot better so I'm quite happy with that performance.

It's just a bit of spin from the people who actually rate Anita.

Sissoko & Wijnaldum aside I don't think anyone had a particularly good game. All 4 defenders were ropey at points and 3 of them were directly responsible for their goals. Anita and Colback were what they are and while Obertan and Cisse had their moments they led to a fair bit of the play breaking up at times. Tiote & de Jong may as well have not bothered coming on such was their lack of involvement.

:thup:

Not having this, it's so overly negative :lol:

Enlighten me where you disagree then? It's absolutely fair.

I thought we played quite well btw, embarrassing lack of fitness though at the end.

Sissoko & Wijnaldum aside I don't think anyone had a particularly good game. All 4 defenders were ropey at points and 3 of them were directly responsible for their goals. Anita and Colback were what they are and while Obertan and Cisse had their moments they led to a fair bit of the play breaking up at times. Tiote & de Jong may as well have not bothered coming on such was their lack of involvement.

Well its true tbh

Hope Anita's ok. Our shape was screwed when he went off.  Tiote and Colback should never be in the same team. They just sit back too much.

Colo even though he didn't have much game time was back to his usual form from last season. Totally misjudged the ball a couple of times and nearly cost us.

If Anita doesn't play next game I'd stick Wijnaldum in his position and De Jong or Ayoze in his.

Krul - 6 First goal he could have been closer

Haidara - 4 Linked up ok, but shite in defence. Need a senior player as first choice.

Colo - 6 Use him as back up, but as he's still captain it'll never happen. Really hope we get a big quality bastard at the back.

Mbemba - 6 Did well for his first game. Should have done better for their first.

Janmaat - 6 Solid, but didn't get forward as well as he can.

Anita - 6 Was decent and linked defence to attack well. Shame he had to go off.(Tiote - 4 Usual, at least no red card.)

Colback - 6 Saved us a couple of times, but hope we get someone better all round.

Wijnaldum - 8 Looks class, and the pick of our new signings. (Siem De Jong - 4 Looked slow. Not sure he's going to be a starter for some time.)

Obertan - 5 Good ball for our second, but otherwise his usual none performance. Why no Aarons?

Cisse - 6 Scored again, we need to keep him. (Mitrovic - 4 No service for him which was always going to be a problem. Nice up end though.)

Sissoko - 6 Was involved in most of what we did. Still has the habit of making the wrong decision when in a good position.  Sort out that and he'd be an awesome player.

Until Anita went off we passed it around well, then just reverted to the lumps forward and sitting back inviting pressue . Hope we get at least 3 more in as we'll need it.

Hope Anita's ok. Our shape was screwed when he went off.  Tiote and Colback should never be in the same team. They just sit back too much.

Colo even though he didn't have much game time was back to his usual form from last season. Totally misjudged the ball a couple of times and nearly cost us.

If Anita doesn't play next game I'd stick Wijnaldum in his position and De Jong or Ayoze in his.

Krul - 6 First goal he could have been closer

Haidara - 4 Linked up ok, but shite in defence. Need a senior player as first choice.

Colo - 6 Use him as back up, but as he's still captain it'll never happen. Really hope we get a big quality bastard at the back.

Mbemba - 6 Did well for his first game. Should have done better for their first.

Janmaat - 6 Solid, but didn't get forward as well as he can.

Anita - 6 Was decent and linked defence to attack well. Shame he had to go off.(Tiote - 4 Usual, at least no red card.)

Colback - 6 Saved us a couple of times, but hope we get someone better all round.

Wijnaldum - 8 Looks class, and the pick of our new signings. (Siem De Jong - 4 Looked slow. Not sure he's going to be a starter for some time.)

Obertan - 5 Good ball for our second, but otherwise his usual none performance. Why no Aarons?

Cisse - 6 Scored again, we need to keep him. (Mitrovic - 4 No service for him which was always going to be a problem. Nice up end though.)

Sissoko - 6 Was involved in most of what we did. Still has the habit of making the wrong decision when in a good position.  Sort out that and he'd be an awesome player.

Until Anita went off we passed it around well, then just reverted to the lumps forward and sitting back inviting pressue . Hope we get at least 3 more in as we'll need it.

Sissoko 6? FFS :lol:

I thought we played quite well btw, embarrassing lack of fitness though at the end.

It's spot on. Wijnaldum and Sissoko made us tick in that first half, but defensively we still looked shaky. We were committing more men forward so that means the defenders have to be on their toes when the opposition breaks. No hiding behind an eight man defence like in the Pardew era.

Bit harsh to say no one had a particularly good game when we've outplayed one of the better side from last season for about 70 minutes. Id say most had a good game, only a few were better than good. Our organisation was solid, our passing was good. They created barely anything for most of the game, except 2/3 crosses till our switches.

Bit harsh to say no one had a particularly good game when we've outplayed one of the better side from last season for about 70 minutes. Id say most had a good game, only a few were better than good. Our organisation was solid, our passing was good. They created barely anything for most of the game, except 2/3 crosses till our switches.

So who bar the two mentioned had a particularly good game?

I'd temper that by saying whilst the others weren't particularly good, I'd say only Haidara and Janmaat were poor and even then it was only defensively.

Janmaat? thought he was solid personally, nothing they did came down his side.

At fault for at least 1 maybe 2 goals

I'd temper that by saying whilst the others weren't particularly good, I'd say only Haidara and Janmaat were poor and even then it was only defensively.

He barely got off the floor for their second. Had to do better.

Possibly should've been covering round on the first too although that'd be harsh, plus it's judging him on his own high standards built up last season.

Though de Jong was the wrong sub. The last twenty minutes needed someone to run at players and Sissoko, Wijnaldum and Obertan had all gassed. Aaron's should have been brought on imo.

Krul 6.5

Janmaat 6.5

Mbemba 7 looking forward to seeing him for the rest of the season. Such an obvious upgrade.

Colo 6.5

Haidara 5.5 thought he was a poor in possession

Anita 6.5

Colback 7 some superb defensive work at the end there

Sissoko 7

Obertan 6.5

Wijnaldum 7

Cisse 6.5 good positioning to makes the most of a lucky deflection.

Tiote 5.5 not sharp

Mitrovic 6 service had died before he had come on

Definitely at fault for the 2nd goal and could have done more for the first. Don't like to stick up for Williamson, but he'd have been crucified for both.

To be perfectly honest, if Anita is out, I'd want to see a situation where Wijnaldum is partnering a holding player with Perez taking the #10.

Even if Anita could play I would do this. Wijnaldum is so much better than our other CMs and the AM is like the only spot where we have many good options. Don't think it would limit his game too much either.

I don't really buy this 'Anita going off changed the game' talk. All of our good play came through Sissoko and Wijnaldum and they both faded badly. Can't see how Anita could've changed the fact that literally everyone looked tired for the last 30 minutes. That itself is obviously a joke, pre-season was garbage.

Well it clearly did as we never invited pressure like that when he was on the pitch and as soon as he goes off we are magically allowing Southampton to pass around our box and sitting very deep.

Not a coincidence.

Attacking players tiring is usually a recipe for inviting pressure, no?

Well it clearly did as we never invited pressure like that when he was on the pitch and as soon as he goes off we are magically allowing Southampton to pass around our box and sitting very deep.

Not a coincidence.

Attacking players tiring is usually a recipe for inviting pressure, no?

Check out our attacks after Tiote came on and before he came on. When we moved forward with Tiote in the side, he stays back with Colback making us having six men behind and no connection between midfield and attack, especially after De Jong came on and basically played as another forward.

With Anita we looked more like this:

Colback

Anita

Sissoko  Wijnaldum Obertan

Cisse

After it looked more like

Colback        Tiote

Sissoko            Obertan

De Jong

Mitrovic

I've been very critical of Anita but he was good today. I hope he's okay.

The lack of closing down for their goal was a joke. We're so poor in the air that the best way to defend them is to stop the cross, but we didn't get close enough on a number of occasions. It's worrying.

All in all though I'm feeling positive. We actually had possession, created chances, looked comfortable on the ball and looked threatening from set pieces. Ref was awful today. We should have had two penalties. How the linesman didn't see Pelle's one is ridiculous. Happened last time Vs Southhampton, too.

I thought for an hour we were the better side.  Their goal was against the run of play and took away our momentum but we managed to get on level terms by persevering.

After Gini scored we just couldn't kick on and get that crucial third and as the game wore on we started to struggle.  Anita coming off had an impact as their penetration through midfield increased massively.  Tiote was a disgrace and didn't look fit to be on the pitch, 5 minutes after he came on his socks were falling down and he just looked like a bag of s*** and he performed that way. 

Colback was excellent for us and for them Mane was an absolute menace, very good player.  Southampton are a serious football team and I thought in general our performance was decent, mistakes need to be ironed out but I think we can improve.  Generally feeling positive

Very encouraging stuff today I thought, we looked spent after 70 minutes though which cost us the win ultimately.

Far better to watch than the overwhelming majority of games under Pardew, played good football which is all I really want at the moment.