Newcastle United vs Watford - Saturday 19th September at 3pm (not on TV)

Dave

De Jong and Perez should start, Anita and Colvback can't start together......How about

Back 5

Sissoko/Thauvin                Wijnaldum    Anita            Aarons

De Jong

Perez

1 upfront didnt work in pre season, its not worked since. Cisse managed what, a penalty pre season? The striker is isolated, he has been for ages. We need atleast a 2nd option if its not happening, defences deal with us so easily man.

We have Thauvin & Sissoko either side, these are not goalscorers. Even if they push on past the striker, its not hugely likely we score. That means we're then reliant on Wijnaldum doing something if our striker is kept quiet as per. We beat them end of last season via a 2nd goal that involved both Riviere & Cisse as our two upfront. I dont get the reluctance, put a man on each central defender or your goalscorers will get outnumbered.

Fuck it,  crazy formation time.

Krul

Jan    Mbemba        Colo      Had

Sissoko      Wijnaldum      Aarons

Thauvin      De Jong        Perez

Trying to protect the back four isn't working, so may as well try and play football.

1 upfront didnt work in pre season, its not worked since. Cisse managed what, a penalty pre season? The striker is isolated, he has been for ages. We need atleast a 2nd option if its not happening, defences deal with us so easily man.

We have Thauvin & Sissoko either side, these are not goalscorers. Even if they push on past the striker, its not hugely likely we score. That means we're then reliant on Wijnaldum doing something if our striker is kept quiet as per. We beat them end of last season via a 2nd goal that involved both Riviere & Cisse as our two upfront. I dont get the reluctance, put a man on each central defender or your goalscorers will get outnumbered.

Two upfront isn't the issue really although i'm all for it, i was just wasn't for Mitrovic and Austin as i feel they are too similar and there's no one to help with build up there.

It's that there is zero bodies getting forward at all, no one was breaking beyond Cisse tonight and everyone was coming to feet. Danny Mills is a fucking moron but even he could see that nobody was making runs away from the player in position and everyone was coming towards him.

Krul

Janmaat  M'bemba  Colo  Haidara

Anita

Thauvin  Sissoko  Wijnaldum    Aarons

Perez

De Jong on the bench and first change. Cisse doesn't even look remotely interested any more unfortunately.

West ham had 1 up front but plenty of support from midfield. We isolate our striker too much

Yup.

It's been the same ever since we tried to do this 4-2-3-1. We've never had it working, at all. Regardless of personel/coach/manager.

Two upfront isn't the issue really although i'm all for it, i was just wasn't for Mitrovic and Austin as i feel they are too similar and there's no one to help with build up there.

It's that there is zero bodies getting forward at all, no one was breaking beyond Cisse tonight and everyone was coming to feet. Danny Mills is a f***ing moron but even he could see that nobody was making runs away from the player in position and everyone was coming towards him.

Aye this is what i mean though. Force the issue if they're not making the runs. We can either spend endless games moaning about the attacker not being supported by midfielders, or just put another attacker on. We obviously need a 2nd option if the first doesnt work as planned.

I just think you look at other sides aswell and they have more likely goalscorers.

Everton have Lukaku, Kone, Barkley, Naismith. Swansea Gomis, Ayew, Sig. Even palace have Zaha, Bolasie, Cabaye,

We have a forward & Wijnaldum. None of the others can hit a ball man. Sissoko/Colback are about our 3rd best option in the current formation. They are not at the levels of Barkley, Sigurdsson, Cabaye. Aarons/Dejong/Perez are far better bets.

West ham had 1 up front but plenty of support from midfield. We isolate our striker too much

Yup.

It's been the same ever since we tried to do this 4-2-3-1. We've never had it working, at all. Regardless of personel/coach/manager.

In theory it would work with 2 decent centre mids and front 4 attacking but you need the 3 attacking mids to be creative and comfortable on the ball and instead we had Sissoko and Wijnaldum that don't seem to suite the roles given. It ends up with moves breaking down because both players struggle to play in tight spaces. It needs players like perez, maybe aarons to open teams up with their flexibility and guile allowing Sissoko n Wijnaldum to offer a threat from deep.

Neither suite their current role. Mind not sure Sissoko suits any role

Aye, currently we are playing it with two box to box midfielders in 2/3 of the attacking positions and a winger on the wrong side as the other. Baffling.

The only thing I can fathom is that he trusts the defensive two so little he wants a part defensive AM there but that doesn't make any sense at all.

Either way, as it stands currently, it isn't working although a mentality from past seasons used to defeats aplenty probably isn't helping.

It's baffling, but I think he looks at Anita and Colback as our only true old fashioned CMs, like if he was playing on Football Manager that would be their preferred position where as the rest would be something slightly more exotic. And the only way, in his eyes, that you can play an exotic 'Attacking Midfielder' or a 'Playmaker' deep is if he's alongside a true 'Anchorman' with his arrow pointing backwards and set to all out defence, for the protection. Suicide otherwise. As we don't have a player who's fully green in that role we play Anita there with Colback alongside him set as a Box to Box man and instructed to keep it simple. This gives the allusion of balance and rigidity that will allow our attacking players to run amok unshackled. 2 natural central midfielders sticking to their roll, no fuss. You then add your exotic Playmaker in front of them, protected and free to roam, keeping him perfectly centre of the screen because it looks mint and you're OCD as fuck, add 2 wingers either side and a poacher upfront. Sorted. You then get tanked 5-0 off Wigan in the League Cup, reset your save, and offer Jack Colback to every club in the country.

Basically what I'm saying is he's an idiot.

Early(!) thread seeing as there's a lot to talk about in terms of formation and selection.

Said it a few times but I'd go 4-4-2. No pissing about; wingers on the wings, midfielders in midfield, best we can do for scorers at the moment up front. Go after them and score some f***ing goals.

Krul

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini Haidara

Thauvin Sissoko Wijnaldum Aarons

Perez De Jong

It'll never happen.

This team but drop Colo for Taylor

It's not a must-win like, it's a 38 game season and we've had some of our toughest fixtures right at the start. I'd be worried if we were hovering around the bottom at Christmas but until October I was prepared for us to not pick up much at all.

How on earth can you say it's not a must win game? if we can't beat Watford at home where do we go from there?

I agree it's been a tough start but McClaren has had five challenges and only really risen to one which was the Man Utd away match, and we rode our luck in that one.

Krul

Jamnaat Mbemba Coloccini Haidara

Anita Wijnaldum

Thauvin          De Jong        Perez

Cissé

:thup: My team too. Possibly Sissoko instead of Thauvin.