Newcastle United 6-2 Norwich City - 18/10/15 post match reaction from page 44

Greg

No idea what the plan was for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half, but after Norwich decided to turn down the invitation to get back into the game with minimal effort we found another gear or two and smashed them to bits. We look made for counter attacking football though, not the possession style that McClaren fancies himself playing.

I don't think that will change until he starts with only one defensive midfielder.

Throughout the season, we've been missing one or more absolutely fundamental aspects to our game. Whether it's not having a gameplan going forward, not being tight at the back, or simply not having the desire; we've been lacking in one or two absolutely vital areas.

For large segments of today's game, all of those things came together and we annihilated the opposition as a result. Keep that sort of thing up and we'll be out of the relegation zone and comfortable.

There's talent in the squad, we keep saying this. If they have indeed sorted their heads out we'll be okay.

I think perhaps the way forward is to just forget about defending too seriously and concentrate on just scoring more goals than the opposition, they get one, we get two, etc, etc. It'd be nerve-racking but much more entertaining if nothing else.

Throughout the season, we've been missing one or more absolutely fundamental aspects to our game. Whether it's not having a gameplan going forward, not being tight at the back, or simply not having the desire; we've been lacking in one or two absolutely vital areas.

For large segments of today's game, all of those things came together and annihilated the opposition. Keep that sort of thing up and we'll be out of the relegation zone and comfortable.

There's talent in the squad, we keep saying this. If they have indeed sorted their heads out we'll be okay.

It's a super unbalanced squad, but got to start somewhere I suppose. Maybe defence and central midfield will get sorted next summer.

Funnily enough, I thought we played better against City than today. How we won 6-2 today I'll never understand :lol:

Can't remember many games where we looked this clinical. Today is a great day, make no mistake.

I think perhaps the way forward is to just forget about defending too seriously and concentrate on just scoring more goals than the opposition, they get one, we get two, etc, etc. It'd be nerve-racking but much more entertaining if nothing else.

I disagree, I think we've got goals in this side, but we need to sort the defensive side out. It was just rank bad defending today, we aren't going to get away with that against other teams. We looked better once Haidara came on and the wide men started tracking back better. Both full backs were pretty poor in the first half.

Funnily enough, I thought we played better against City than today. How we won 6-2 today I'll never understand :lol:

Can't remember many games where we looked this clinical. Today is a great day, make no mistake.

Obviously ignoring the goals when I said that. Our finishing today was the best I've seen in a long time, and that's not just watching us.