Pavel Srníček (1968–2015)

sempuki

One of Pav's best friends runs the Sapori cafe in Sandyford (if you've been in, you can't fail to notice the signed photo on the wall), Lorenzo goes to stay with Pav's family every summer in Prague. He's thanked at the end of Pav's book, he'll be devastated, always talks really proudly about his friend.

Guest reefatoon

He wasn't just a fantastic player for us, he was also a fantastic person who always had time for fans. I remember when I was younger, my girlfriend at the time had a trialist goalkeeper from Australia staying at her parents house.  He brought Pav back for tea one evening and he was amazing. He brought me a pair of his gloves too as the trialist guy told him how much of a fan I was. Such a lovely bloke and will be a massive miss. RIP Pav, a true NUFC legend and a true gentleman.

I'm absolutely gutted. It's horrible. It's like losing a friend.

Same here, I've felt better when relatives have died.  I hate it when people die so young and should still have decades ahead of them.

Much rather a minutes silence than applause. I'm old fashioned and the minutes applause seemed like it only came in after the farce of the princess Margaret silence.

Imo it should be a minutes silence for when someone dies unexpectedly like this.

Completely agree but we saw with the minute's silence for the Paris atrocities that standing silent and reflecting seems to be beyond the majority of our fans now.

The greatest sympathy to his family.

Pavel played a big part in my life as a supporter, lots of fond memories.

Was only listening to him on the radio the other week too, incredible really that he should be gone so young.

Ah this is hitting me harder than I thought it would do. For some reason when we were bairns me and my brother we would collect the PL stickers and him and Cole were always rarer to get, so therefore they would be considered much more worthy than anyone else. We knew Cole was because of his goals but back then as bairns Pav was to us what Schemichel was to Man Utd. Me and Wor kid played our own fantasy footy game, we would put all the stickers into categories, keepers, strikers etc. And put a value on each player on the back and give ourselves a 30m transfer kitty. I'm sure we used to value Pav at 3m, 1m less than the Dane and half a million less than Flowers and Seaman. For us he was the 4th best in the league and looking back he probably was. Happy days as a kid, a footy fan and for the Toon. Is there anything we can do as fans, maybe a fundraising page for his family?

I like the idea of doing something for his family. Even if we didn't raise huge amount...just done something as a sign of our appreciation and respect for him.  Considering his family requested for us to sing pavel is a geordie at Everton game showed his family knew how much newcastle meant to him.

Very sad day...an icon to me when I was growing up 😓

One of Pav's best friends runs the Sapori cafe in Sandyford (if you've been in, you can't fail to notice the signed photo on the wall), Lorenzo goes to stay with Pav's family every summer in Prague. He's thanked at the end of Pav's book, he'll be devastated, always talks really proudly about his friend.

I'd forgotten about that. I was in there grabbing a takeaway a few years back and had apparently just missed him. Was raging!

So desperately sad. Must get his book.

Very, very sad news for all who saw him play for us and knew how he loved the club, the city and the NE - far too soon for him to go and it makes old timers like me very grateful that we have been around comparatively for much longer.

None of us know how much time we will have, but at 47 you should be looking at another 30-40 years....great guy and will be fondly remembered by all of us....part of a much loved era at the club and will always be associated with some great times under KK which are unlikely to return any time soon, if at all.

RIP Pav - you will always be a Geordie !

Saw him in Fenwicks not long after he really broke into the first team, going up the escalators as I was going down...........then saw him going down as I was going up. I'd looked at him first time and thought that's Pav. I shrugged my shoulders at him and as we passed and said "I'm lost", he shrugged and said "Me too".

Saw him in the New Rendevous at Darras Hall when he was playing for Sheff Wed (he still came up here loads), my wife has always had a thing for him and we had to shuffle everyone round so she wasn't just sitting there staring at him.

What a horrible day, Lemmy, may not like his music that much but was a nice guy judging by all I've read (before his death, not just the lick arse obits), same go's for Guru Josh,  John Bradbury and a friend. Next year is a leap year, could we keep Feb 29 and get shot of Dec 29 and stick an extra day in the year after.

He comes from an era of players where I was little, where I cared more about the players and I think they cared more too. Pav in particular just somehow seemed like a lovely gentle guy. I remember getting back to St James's Park on a midweek late night when I was 7, in the 96/97 season, at the same time as the team bus back from a 3-1 defeat away to Middlesbrough in the League Cup. I walked to my dad's car and Pav's was parked just opposite and he was about to get in. At that age I took defeats hard and remember being sad and thinking Pav must be sad too, but as I was staring at him he gave me a friendly smile. I was so happy, Dad Pav smiled at me! Nowt to write home about for most but it's one of those little things I'll always remember. Pav smiled at me!

Woke up and felt shit remembering Pav is gone. A hero to me and many of my friends of the same age when we grew up. We just liked him more than Schmichael eventhough we knew who was better.

Really hoped that he got to hear one final rendition of Pav is a Geordie eventhough I know he might already have been 'gone' in that 20 minutes his heart stop beating.

Aah RIP Pav. Missing you already.