Pavel Srníček (1968–2015)

sempuki

Only found out he'd died at about 9 last night. Was running round all day and then went out and was just scrolling through twitter when I saw. Gutted. So young, man. I used to go to the training ground so much in those days and along with everyone else would have got his autograph loads. The images of him in those massive shoulder padded, wild 90s shirts and his hair cut, man. His arm up like that tweet from Nut. So iconic. Will never lose his image from my mind.

Awful news and condolences to his family and friends will be a massive miss to us all ,Pav had a great friend called Enzo  who runs a Italian bistro in Sandyford near Jesmond and i was only just asking about Pav a fortnight ago and said he was loving life atm and wanted to get involved at Newcastle at some stage but time wasnt right but his son came over a few months ago and worked for him while considering courses at Newcastle university ,im still in shock  :'(

Guest firetotheworks

This Tweet cheered me up a bit this morning. :smitten:

Adam Hurrey ‏@FootballCliches  15h15 hours ago

RIP Pavel Srnicek. I'm not sure we'll ever know what you were pointing at, but you were an excellent goalkeeper.

CXaRyyyWYAEeBQt.jpg

[emoji38] Never noticed that before. I loved him as a young kid like and he briefly made me fancy being a 'keeper. Seemed like a really lovely man.

Apologies for being late to send my condolences.  I am of an age which means that Pav is THE iconic Newcastle keeper of my childhood along with Shaka. Always remember getting those keeper tops in the early to mid 90's. Weren't they great designs btw?!?! My mam would always get me one that was far too big that I would somehow 'grow' into. Always remember having massive Sondico keeper gloves too and I would always commentate on my saves as 'Pav', when messing about with my mates. Good times, great team. great keeper.

RIP.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pav and those kits helped form many a young 'keeper in the day. My own brother played in goal and would get tops with Pav on the back, lots of kids did. I was Andy Cole out on the field personally, but I loved those 'keeper tops.

I had to pay my respects to Big Pav, my favourite player from a time when it was so much fun to watch us.

RIP Pav, such a special player because you were such a special man, if only there more like you now.

:thup: Nice to hear from you. Come back, man.

Perhaps more than anyone other than Kevin Keegan this man represented an era we'll never see again. Not because he was world class or had all the crap that goes with players that think they are. But because of his total dedication to our cause. We loved him and he loved us. RIP and thank you.

Not to over-do it or anything, but has anyone thought of setting up a Facebook page where people can leave their condolences, thanks, memories, photos, etc?

It would be nice to have a central spot to point his family towards so they know how much Pav meant to us and did them proud.

Loved how the old kits had padding on. The kit material also had a really distinctive smell that I can still sense now 20 years later.

I was a Pav inspired keeper when I was younger too. He used to have a white stripe down the side of his shorts and I used to copy it with masking tape (see below) :lol: I also used to try and copy Pav's kicking technique from goal kicks. His standing leg used to go quite low and I thought it looked amazing'

http://www.sportsignings.com/images/products/products/NEWCASTLE/Image37.jpg

Good to see Steve 'agent' Wraith being some humble about these bloody t shirts.

Never read such petty tweets. i want to buy Pav's book but the last thing I want to do is line the pockets of that bellend.

Can't link to Twitter on my phone but Agent Wraith got his knickers in a twist as True Faith are selling a Pavel is a Geordie tshirt for the Bobby Robson Foundation. He was pissed off as he says his tshirt being sold via the Back Page is the "official" tshirt that the family are supporting.