Pavel Srníček (1968–2015)

sempuki

Guest Howaythetoon

It tells you something that even though KK didn't rate him hugely, he kept him around while getting rid of the likes of Kelly and Peacock, a real dressing room fave and all-round good guy apparently.

It tells you something that even though KK didn't rate him hugely, he kept him around while getting rid of the likes of Kelly and Peacock, a real dressing room fave and all-round good guy apparently.

Pav was better than his replacement.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pav was better than his replacement.

Shaka?

I agree. I think KK saw Shaka as a more dominant 'keeper which he probably was, but Pavel was the much better shot stopper.

Shaka commanded his area better and was better at taking crosses but Pavel was the better shot stopper and far more comfortable with backpasses although he gave us plenty of heart in the mouth moments when dribbling around the opposition centre forward.

Then Given came in and was far better than them both.

Shaka commanded his area better and was better at taking crosses but Pavel was the better shot stopper and far more comfortable with backpasses although he gave us plenty of heart in the mouth moments when dribbling around the opposition centre forward.

That, really.

There's no rewriting of history, I had a season ticket back then and Pav was the better keeper in my eyes. That's my take, but both had their good and bad points though and depending on the individual some may rate one higher than the other but Given was a good step ahead of either of them.

That, really.

There's no rewriting of history, I had a season ticket back then and Pav was the better keeper in my eyes. That's my take, but both had their good and bad points though and depending on the individual some may rate one higher than the other but Given was a good step ahead of either of them.

I think this is fair. I didn't think Shaka was as good. Saw him playing for Reading a couple of times and he flapped at crosses, but he did improve when he played for us. Still preferred Pav by a long way though.

Didn't like KK bringing in Shaka in the 95-96 season but knew Pav wasn't really his ideal keeper either. Pav had his off days as did Shaka. Just liked Pav better as he was the keeper in goal when I started to support the club.

Everyone forgetting about Mike Hooper; he really was poor. Pav mentions that KK asked him when he was going to win a game for us just as he was going out in that Liverpool game. KK obviously thought it would inspire him, Pav says it destroyed his confidence and Lpool then scored in the first couple of minutes.

Come on Pav; good luck today.

Guest firetotheworks

The whole Shaka/Pav debate was a thing at the time as well. I personally preferred Shaka, but both had strengths where the other had weaknesses, as Wallsendmag pointed out.

Everyone forgetting about Mike Hooper; he really was poor. Pav mentions that KK asked him when he was going to win a game for us just as he was going out in that Liverpool game. KK obviously thought it would inspire him, Pav says it destroyed his confidence and Lpool then scored in the first couple of minutes.

Come on Pav; good luck today.

Nope, I mentioned him in an earlier post. It was a total head scratcher when we signed what was in essence Liverpool's third choice keeper.

Kelly was as well, Keegan rightly thought Ned wouldnt do it in the PL.

Peacock, as far as I was aware was depserately wanted but decided to move back to London due to problems with his kids and wanted to be closer to his family.

He's a promoter not an agent. He's trying to flog a book not turn out in the PL.

He's a grade A arsehole. Fully expecting the c*** to try and jump on screen in the new Krays movie

Seen him in the Walls End pub a couple of years ago. Expected him to be a right prick but was surprised to find he's actually a sound lad. Spent about 20 minutes talking about NUFC with him and he was canny crack. Can totally understand why people who've never met him would think otherwise though.