Newcastle United 0 - 1 Everton - 26/12/15 - Post-match reaction from page 19

Dave

Elliot made 2 really good saves. The rest were pretty routine, weren't they?

Yeah, I think it's wrong to take the total shots number or shot on target number as indicative of us being outplayed the whole game. 9 of Everton's attempts were from outside the box. Inside the box, it was 11 attempts to them, 7 to us. Mitro's and Gini's probably the biggest chances. Mitro did well to pull off so he could attack it, but the header itself was awful. His headed effort in the first half was also a better chance than Waddle and whoever made out in the commentary.

As ever, we're crying out for a CM. Like De Jong last week, our forwards are also not good enough when we do manage a clear opening.

NUFC hardly had a kick in the first 20 mins and there was only 1 real chance(Mitrovic's header)in the whole of that half...Everton were by far the better footballing side and it was largely through a determined rear-guard action that we got to HT without conceding.

Things improved in the second half with Mbemba outstanding for most of the game...if we had another decent CB we would have a central defence on a par with most. We had the upper hand for a while but Everton gradually came back into it...Mitrovic should have put us ahead but that miss proved very costly when they snatched it in the last minute of injury time - a blow which has negated our similar win at Spurs.

No question that the better footballing side won, but heartbreaking for the defence which had battled manfully throughout the game and this result puts the pressure firmly back on with relegation back on the agenda.

We have had 2 decent home games which should have yielded at least 4 points and ended up giving us 1..sides that cannot put a run together against teams like Villa and(with due respect)Everton at home are only headed one way......

Fat man must be getting twitchy now, with the Jan window looming large..!

Only saw it at the match but I thought Dummett was fouled by Lakaku when he made the tackle which put the ball out for the corner they scored from.

As for the result, we couldn't gave complained if we were 2 or 3 down at HT and Janmaat should have been sent off but, I thought we deserved a point, we were the better side in the 2nd half and we had the better positions in the 2nd half. We were a final ball away from being clean through a number of times and Mitro tried to be too precise with his header, he'd have scored comfortably unless he headed it straight at Howard.

We have to start better at West Brom.

One shot on target equates to 'very good' now? :lol:

It's sad, how willingly thick so many of our fans are.

"Magnificent" apparently. The manager said so, so it must be true...

I really admire the positivity of some, but I didn't see much yesterday to suggest we're staying up. As the old saying should go, if you can't be good be lucky and if you can't be lucky, for the love of God make sure you defend a 93rd minute corner properly!!

Very poor yet not one bit surprised. Although I understand the way we are setting up I find it so frustrating. We were up against a team who hadn't won in 4! Just have a go! The back four now just sit on the 18 yard line and hardly move all game. We desperately need replacements for colo and Dummett, their lack of pace is frightening for this level and is ultimately forcing us to set up like this. Dummett in particular turns like a milk float.

Basically no pace at the back, zero creativity in centre mid and lack of experience up top. January is gonna be a big month. Unless we find players who can help us change this awful style then I imagine we will be scrapping it out with Bournemouth, Norwich and the mackems for those final two relegation places.

Thought some of the passing moves we put together in the second half were the best I've seen in a long time from us, regardless of the fact we're still in the bottom 3 I think since Palace we've turned the corner a bit.

If we address the central midfield issue in January I think we'll stay up comfortably, if we don't it might be a bit squeaky bum but still think we'll get enough to survive.

Not that its some big achievement or anything as we should be far higher even with the squad we have IMO, but the situation we are in means survival is the no1 target.

Just another great season supporting NUFC.

Midfield needs a complete change up as well, why are we still persisting with Sissoko and Wijnaldum out wide?! Get them in a 3 in the middle with Anita and get Thauvin in to create a front 3.

And drop Colback? :spit:

Seriously though, I would have thought he'd have tried this by now if it was seriously being considered at all.

It has been tried. Looked woeful but probably worth another go.

When? Not doubting you, I've genuinely overwritten it in my memory of this w*** season.

Sorry, missed this last night. Watford (start) and Leicester second half are the two that spring to mind. Positive we've tried it as a Plan B in two other games but I'l have to have a dig.

John Stones is going to be a hell of a player but he's one whiny bastard, constantly shouting at the ref to book Mitrovic. Will fit in well at Chelsea, where he can referee the game like John Terry used to

I thought Anita came into the game in the second half, breaking up play and getting the ball forward. Mbemba was solid, great tackle to prevent Lukaku getting a shot on goal just before the corner. Colback wasn't as bad as usual, but we lack creativity in the centre of the pitch with both him and Anita. We either give Thauvin a run on the wing and move Wijnaldum to a more central attacking role to try and rectify this. I thought De Jong had been playing fairly well recently, bar the missed chance vs Villa, so surprised to see him drop out all together.

The two chances for Mitrovic and Wijnaldum could have gave us a goal, arguably Mitro should bury that running onto the ball. We were lucky that Janmaat remained on the field, it would have been two soft yellow cards, but as we saw at Swansea sometimes that does happen. Ayoze had a quieter game than usual, a couple of chances, but in that opening half he was sloppy with possession. He dropped deep, turned possession over a number of times and that enabled Everton to attack us.

The opening 20 minutes were dominated by them, we couldn't hold on to possession as a team and their formation allowed them to attack our weak spots at fullback. Elliot made some good saves, the punch could have been away from goal, but generally has played well since he came in.

I'm hoping a couple of signings in January can improve our team, but its going to be a long process to have a greater impact on our team. If we get relegated that would push us back even further as I'd guess most of this team wouldn't stick around like in 08-09.

Guest palnese

I think Stones is going to be the best English player of his generation. Such a talented, ball-playing defender. He's actually one of my favourite players in the World.

He's fantastic.

He played at SJP 2 years ago and I'd not heard of him and thought we could exploit his inexperience but he was absolutely great that day too.

Thought Martinez's sub of Besic for Barkley was really odd yesterday.

Stones, in my opinion, has the ability to be a World class defender. Very much in the Mark Lawrenson, Rio Ferdinand mould.

This machine replicates the body movement of the greatest dribblers of all time; Pele, Maradona, Mark Lawrenson.

Say what you like, but there hasn't been many better central defenders in the past 30 odd years.