Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I can see why we've targeted him. He has good vision and brilliant passing/shooting technique. Something we've lacked since Cabaye left.

But at the state that we're in, ability is not enough. New players must have the character and drive to lift the team from the perennial circle of failure. From what's in the public domain, it's much more likely that he'll sulk like the others, once he "settles".

Another concern is that it's extremely unlikely that he'll replace Colback in the starting 11. And a midfield duo of Colback and Shelvey will be by far the most immobile and slowest in the PL, also the ugliest.. not to mention their other limitations. Anyway, fuck it, at least he has some exciting playmaking skillz...

Guest ManDoon

My question is why didn't we get Cabaye then? :lol:

The price difference is completely negligible as well so it's not really a case of going for the cheaper option either.

age would be my guess.

Definitely.

The price difference is completely negligible as well so it's not really a case of going for the cheaper option either.

Age, wages and the fact Cabaye would rather play for Palace than us, clearly.

Wages as well.

Not sure they'll be a massive difference personally, i have no idea what Cabaye is on but i really doubt Shelvey is going to be anything less than 50k.

sell-on value

Really don't see a scenario where Shelvey is good enough where someone wants to pay more than 10-12m for him IMO.

I think he'd be a decent player here and certainly a lot better than what we have but it just stinks of the club taking a gamble on an unsettled out of form player they think they can get on the 'cheap'.

Age is fair enough, not particularly convinced on the wages part and how do we know he would rather play for Palace? we didn't even try to get him to know that.

You'd imagine Cabaye was getting paid a fortune at PSG, no idea what he'd be on at Palace though.

100K.

Age is fair enough, not particularly convinced on the wages part and how do we know he would rather play for Palace? we didn't even try to get him to know that.

Of course he'd rather live in London near his mates Debuchy and Pardew and play for a club with a modicum of ambition, man.