Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Who the f*** cares what the price is. What difference does it make?

Was going to post the exact same thing. Who cares the price, you pay the going rate of whatever that going rate is to get players in.

Frustrating that we balked in years past with players who had undoubted quality when it was 1 or 2M that we didn't cough up.

Very true actually. But if we've got that kind of money to spend, then I'm not entirely sure spending it on Jonjo Shelvy is a great idea, maybe he will surprise us but not sure he's the type of player that will get us out of this mess we are in.

Was going to post the exact same thing. Who cares the price, you pay the going rate of whatever that going rate is to get players in.

Frustrating that we balked in years past with players who had undoubted quality when it was 1 or 2M that we didn't cough up.

Exactly. Looking for bargains regardless of the needs of the team got us into this mess in the first place. As it stands, we are paying the going rate for what he is, and considering his age I think the club will see it an investment they have a good chance of recouping one day.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-selling-jonjo-shelvey-10720219

Sorry if posted before, but doesn't inspire confidence: "Always looks for the spectacular/ the hollywood pass", "Match of the Day player", "Poor attitude", "Blames others", "Hasn't improved since he arrived"

I hope he proves me wrong but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of these comments soon.

One of the criticisms is that he was always looking for Hollywood passes rather than keeping it simple. Maybe we should do a swap deal with Colback, he sounds right up their street.

"One of the criticisms"

Reading the article, most of the moaning seemed to be about Shelvey thinking too much of himself, the journalist didn't seem to question his ability. It might be we are more his type of club with us being higher profile. Time will tell. I think the team is crying out for someone with a bit of edge to their personality rather than the quiet bunch who currently make up the first 11.

I wonder how we're going to transition ourselves into a team that manages to get enough players running off the ball in the right areas to make use of his passing range. Seems like at least 4 years every single player we've had either stands still or runs with the ball at his feet.

Wijnaldum and Janmaat should be up to it but I'm not sure who else, even Perez is best with the ball at his feet imo but maybe he'll change with a better passer in there.

I wonder how we're going to transition ourselves into a team that manages to get enough players running off the ball in the right areas to make use of his passing range. Seems like at least 4 years every single player we've had either stands still or runs with the ball at his feet.

Wijnaldum and Janmaat should be up to it but I'm not sure who else, even Perez is best with the ball at his feet imo but maybe he'll change with a better passer in there.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I read that he likes a forward pass. To who?

It's a bit of a shame when money doesn't become of an interest anymore in football. Transfer fees are getting way out of hand but it's easier to just turn a blind eye.

I think Shelvey is a bit overpriced but that's expected given he's an England international, far worse transfer fees flying around.

I've never been a big fan of his but he's a huge upgrade on Colback and at least you know what you'll get with him since he's been around a good while now. Good signing for us.

No one's said that they care about the price, they're just talking about worth.

Too many people desperate to grasp anything that looks 'good'

Half a season enduring Colback and Anita tends to do that to you.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I read that he likes a forward pass. To who?

:lol:

No one's said that they care about the price, they're just talking about worth.

Too many people desperate to grasp anything that looks 'good'

I'm not desperate to grasp Jonjo Shelvey like. It's just that money is pretty much irrelevant to us as fans nowadays. Fees are defined by far more than a playing ability, and generally the money involved is a tiny proportion of what comes in from Sky anyway. And comparisons with other transfer fees barely even work, because people don't have/consider the full picture. No wage information, no bonus information, vague contract length details, and let's not forget the most important factor of all, potential resale value.

Just seems a better idea to discuss how he's a lazy son of a gun who went full Carver about 3 days ago.