Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

It's massively reactionary like, we were rolling along for 9 games with not a lot to criticise and now the inevitable couple of adverse results have arrived people are coming out with all sorts of bollocks as if they're relieved they finally have something to moan about.

I think we're in basically the same position we were pre-Blackburn, Colback isn't suddenly better than Hayden, and Shelvey isn't suddenly the worst player on any football pitch where any of our other players are on FFS :lol:

We have a better balance in midfield when Colback plays with Shelvey.

Yeah that seems to be the new forum mantra, surfacing after one defeat against Blackburn.  I don't agree with it.  We dominated a PL side away from home for the majority of the game last night, I doubt very much we'd have been any better with Colback in the side.

It's massively reactionary like, we were rolling along for 9 games with not a lot to criticise and now the inevitable couple of adverse results have arrived people are coming out with all sorts of bollocks as if they're relieved they finally have something to moan about.

I think we're in basically the same position we were pre-Blackburn, Colback isn't suddenly better than Hayden, and Shelvey isn't suddenly the worst player on any football pitch where any of our other players are on FFS :lol:

That's simply not true though.

I'd say it is like.

Guest neesy111

I'd say it is like.

Careful now, not allowed other opinions on here Foluwashola.

Guest neesy111

Penalties are so weird, he hits passes better than he did that pen. Was a weak and tame one too, shame.

It's what the pressure of a spot kick can do.

What was wrong with the Hayden/Shelvey partnership yesterday? By all accounts we dominated midfield, if anything we needed more from the wide players and up front. How would Colback have improved it?

Thought he absolutely controlled the game, as usual.

I do worry about us if he gets a ban though.

We do seem to have plenty of options for a holding midfielder, and not so much for a creative one. I wonder who would take his place if he was out? Probably go with two defensive midfielders I guess, and maybe a more attacking forward line up.

Haven't seen the game, but surprised on basis of what I heard to see Shelvey slated. He was a class above according to commentary. Result wise, it was one of those games. If we played them ten times we'd win 7. But we don't get a re-run. Don't take your chances and make a defensive mistake, both easily done (and regularly done by many times) and you don't win. Key thing to me, and to others it seems, is how we played, i.e. well. It is obviously different in a league rather than cup competition, play well constantly and it is highly likely you'll do well/win.

Don't get the assumption that Colback provides something Hayden doesn't. I'm genuinely curious as to what that would be: to me Hayden does the donkey work (closing down, harrying, tackling--unlike JC without the use of both hands, or repeatedly falling over--and covering the ground to shut down options) but adds far more in possession. Maybe I'm biased as, amongst some tough competition this season, he is my favourite player.

However, due to logistical complications, the hearing is now likely to take place during the week commencing December 19 - meaning Shelvey should be available for the Magpies’ next four fixtures.

^ The announcement

Good stuff.

At the very least it gets us further towards January, where we can mitigate if need be.

Exactly what I was thinking.

the f*** is taking so long. The alleged incident took place in september

They've obviously got nothing to go off otherwise this would be sorted by now.

Bit of a pisser to not have him at all during the Christmas period if he gets a ban

I imagine any ban will be appealed. Suarez got 14 days to appeal, so assuming the same happens we'll probably delay it enough so he misses the FA Cup 3rd round and so on

I'm sure it's been said before, but if there was any video evidence, it would have been plastered all over the TV already. I get the feeling that we've asked for evidence and there wasn't any, other than the players word, which was countered immediately.

It opens up a huge can of worms if you're charging people like that, that's why I think its taking so long.

Bring back the birch

I know absolutely nowt about the legal side of this, but could it be taking this long - and longer - because our lawyers have said something which the FA are forced to take seriously?

Th FA obviously make up their own rules outside of the law, but without evidence this is pretty much defamation. It's a lot different to charging someone with regular abuse or misconduct.