Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Vardy would be the most perfect fit for us. One of my favourite players the last few years. When he had that game against Man Utd when he got a goal and about 4 assists playing pretty much out wide I was thinking who the fuck's this upstart but can't help but love him. :lol: Class that he's proven he wasn't a one season wonder too.

Gayle on Shelvey: "Last weekend, we were in the garden with the lads, and some of their kids are having a kickabout. Then Jonjo joined in and started flying into them with full-on tackles!"

The Rafa effect :lol:

• 1 month later...

Time to get banned?

First interview back to training.

https://quickfileshare.org/7g3/Shelvey.mp4

(Sorry about the time penalty for free download)

Why is this beautiful bald c*** on page 2? England would have more goals if he'd played instead of Henderson. (caveat: maybe)

You know nufcTV is free now?

Just go to https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv and watch the video. You need to be signed in but it is free.

Time to get banned?

First interview back to training.

https://quickfileshare.org/7g3/Shelvey.mp4

(Sorry about the time penalty for free download)

Why is this beautiful bald c*** on page 2? England would have more goals if he'd played instead of Henderson. (caveat: maybe)

You know nufcTV is free now?

Just go to https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv and watch the video. You need to be signed in but it is free.

:thup:

It was for those that weren't registered, for whatever reason.

Guest Howaythetoon

I can now see why Southgate didn’t bring him, although I think he could have been useful as a sub or in extra time, but only if Vardy was on the pitch too. Henderson is a much better player whose game Shelvey could learn a lot from. I can now see why Lascelles didn’t make it either who is a top defender, but not the best footballer.

Guest ElCid

Would say Henderson certainly more consistent than Shelvey but certainly doesn’t have the passing range Shelvey has. Shelvey certainly should have been in the squad before Delph. England currently have not had to chase a game apart from the the reserves outing against Belgium and the only time they were under the cosh in the last part of the match and first half of injury time against Columbia they struggled. Be interesting to see how the midfield performs if they have to chase but then again fingers crossed we don’t have to see it.

Guest chopey

Southgate puts Vardy on late as defenders get tired and the game gets stretched, Shelvey would have been ideal to find him in behind.

Lets just cut out the middle man and sign Vardy for Newcastle.

Two very different midfielders obviously, but I could totally understand Southgate favouring Henderson's all action style over Shelvey's more cultured game. I think Jonjo's good fortune is to have Rafa as manager, as he knows how to exploit Shelvey's passing range a lot better than most managers would.

Southgate puts Vardy on late as defenders get tired and the game gets stretched, Shelvey would have been ideal to find him in behind.

Lets just cut out the middle man and sign Vardy for Newcastle.

I'm afraid that would cost more than £15m, we'd be out of that faster than shit through a goose.

Two very different midfielders obviously, but I could totally understand Southgate favouring Henderson's all action style over Shelvey's more cultured game. I think Jonjo's good fortune is to have Rafa as manager, as he knows how to exploit Shelvey's passing range a lot better than most managers would.

Thing is he took Delph as a CM and Delph played LB in virtually all his appearances last season. Shelvey should have gone instead of Delph imo, you use him to find Vardy when you're chasing a game, or want to finish one off when the opposition are chasing it.

Thing is he took Delph as a CM and Delph played LB in virtually all his appearances last season. Shelvey should have gone instead of Delph imo, you use him to find Vardy when you're chasing a game, or want to finish one off when the opposition are chasing it.

I wouldn't disagree, just think Southgate has gone for a certain bunch of players who he thinks gel together as a group, maybe Jonjo with his loner image didn't quite fit with that mold.

Even without Vardy on the pitch he would have been very effective. Sterling and Lingard have made quite a few runs in behind that noone have the talent to pick out. Shelvey would have done so a few times and also that big arrowed switch he likes would bring a whole new dimension to this side., as the ones that do try it in this side loft it too much and its less effective.

That said we're in a World cup semi, so cant complain really

I wouldn't disagree, just think Southgate has gone for a certain bunch of players who he thinks gel together as a group, maybe Jonjo with his loner image didn't quite fit with that mold.

Aye and you can hardly say Southgate has got it wrong to be fair.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Shelvey's not mobile enough to play how Southgate wants to play. It's now no great surprise he didn't get picked, he was probably never in the running (excuse the pun)