Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think his run of form has just come a bit too late unfortunately.  And despite his recent improvement, people aren't going to forget his disciplinary record because he's behaved for 5 months.

Personally I would take him as he offers something no-one in the England squad does, but I'm not surprised he's unlikely to make it.

As for why people want in the squad - 1) allows me to be more interested in the England team (I've never been more interested than when we have some representation in it) and 2) allows players to see that they can get international recognition while playing for us.

I think his run of form has just come a bit too late unfortunately.  And despite his recent improvement, people aren't going to forget his disciplinary record because he's behaved for 5 months.

Personally I would take him as he offers something no-one in the England squad does, but I'm not surprised he's unlikely to make it.

As for why people want in the squad - 1) allows me to be more interested in the England team (I've never been more interested than when we have some representation in it) and 2) allows players to see that they can get international recognition while playing for us.

Agree with this assessment. I also think it's a shame because I genuinely enjoy watching him play. It seems we're going for functionality first if the likes of Delph and Livermore get in over the Jonj and Wilshere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5728415/Southgate-no-fool-isnt-play-Pirlo-role-England.html

His last experience of Wilshere was a late withdrawal from England's squad for matches against Holland and Italy and he will not pick Shelvey having failed to balance the rave reviews he hears every week with the player that emerges from statistical breakdowns: three assists all season, one goal and a pass-completion rate of 72.4 per cent.

That is not Andrea Pirlo. That is not Toni Kroos. That is not even Jordan Henderson, whose pass completion for Liverpool is 84.4 per cent. Shelvey is more ambitious in his range, true, but more than a quarter of his attempts do not reach the target.

This is one of Southgate's misgivings — that Shelvey spends too long admiring his work, isn't mobile enough and could be marked easily. It is the same view Terry Venables held of Matt Le Tissier — which is why he was not a team-mate of Southgate's at Euro 96.

Leaving all this aside and the issue of character remains. The story has been told on these pages before, but Mike Kelly's advice to Roy Hodgson as he agonised over the last four names in Switzerland's squad for the 1994 World Cup bears revisiting.

'Pick four you like,' said Kelly, a coaching assistant Hodgson and many others greatly respected. Meaning — pick the best tourists, the best to have around the camp, the most genial, the lowest maintenance. Particularly as the final additions to the squad are the least likely to play and need to be the sort to stay cheerful.

Shelvey has worked with a psychologist this season since his second red card. It has paid off — but would Shelvey fit Kelly's criterion of a good tourist if he wasn't starting? The continued selection of Jake Livermore — 78.6 pass-completion rate, two assists — who answered a late call by scrapping a family holiday this season, having not been initially named for friendly matches against Brazil and Germany, is indicative of the personality tournament football demands.

Not tourist enough. What a car crash of an article.

I just think it's a shame for him. You can see from his post match interview that he's desperate to go. I think he deserves a call-up as a just reward for his performances this season. Other lesser players are being selected over him for reasons that are largely beyond his control. It will ultimately be England's loss.

My thoughts exactly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5728415/Southgate-no-fool-isnt-play-Pirlo-role-England.html

His last experience of Wilshere was a late withdrawal from England's squad for matches against Holland and Italy and he will not pick Shelvey having failed to balance the rave reviews he hears every week with the player that emerges from statistical breakdowns: three assists all season, one goal and a pass-completion rate of 72.4 per cent.

That is not Andrea Pirlo. That is not Toni Kroos. That is not even Jordan Henderson, whose pass completion for Liverpool is 84.4 per cent. Shelvey is more ambitious in his range, true, but more than a quarter of his attempts do not reach the target.

This is one of Southgate's misgivings — that Shelvey spends too long admiring his work, isn't mobile enough and could be marked easily. It is the same view Terry Venables held of Matt Le Tissier — which is why he was not a team-mate of Southgate's at Euro 96.

Damn this scathingly accurate article.

I've never seen him admire his own passes, he's been more mobile in the last 12 months than the rest of his career combined, and if he's so easy to mark how come he's still making the passes and finding space? As for % of passes, he's in a newly promoted team with Joselu and Gayle as targets not the most potent front 3 in the PL.

Why is everything about Jonjo misconstrued and taken out of context? To justify keeping him out :lol:

Anyone who's watched him regularly recently would want him to go. Or at least if you don't, it's because you really rate someone else or you don't think he fits the system or whatever.

Nothing about his attitude or his game has been anything other than excellent recently.

It was always a long shot though, he's come into the picture quite late. It's just a shame some nothing players are going instead.

Damn this scathingly accurate article.

I've never seen him admire his own passes, he's been more mobile in the last 12 months than the rest of his career combined, and if he's so easy to mark how come he's still making the passes and finding space? As for % of passes, he's in a newly promoted team with Joselu and Gayle as targets not the most potent front 3 in the PL.

Why is everything about Jonjo misconstrued and taken out of context? To justify keeping him out :lol:

Wow,  Henderson't pass completion rate is more that 10% better? Makes me think we should have held onto Colback, pretty sure his was right up there as well.

Henderson passes sideways or backwards almost every time he touches the ball. No wonder he has such good passing stats.

The fact that he has the best front three in the Premier League in front of him and only has assists in the single figures shows how fucking useless he is and should never be used as a stat to try and back up how good he is.

Livermore is a joke! If he's international quality then i'm not far off.

Shelvey has been playing in a Championship team, with strikers who couldn't hit a fucking barn door. His long range passing is sublime and his vision makes every other midfielder in the England squad look like a school boy.

Southgate's job should be to pick the best team with the strongest chance of winning the World Cup fullstop. 'Who's the best fucking tourist?!' No wonder we're so fucking shit at international football

Guest firetotheworks

Henderson passes sideways or backwards almost every time he touches the ball. No wonder he has such good passing stats.

Why do so many people get Henderson so wrong? [emoji38]

That's simply not true, like. At least for Liverpool anyway. He passes forward all the time, nigh on always first time as well.

Guest alijmitchell

Why people are getting so wound up over this I'll never know. Sure playing in the World Cup is great, but we won't make it past the groups and they'll all be vilified when they get back.

It's controversial but I honestly don't see it being a big deal if Shelvey doesn't get picked.

Lascelles is a different story entirely, at least you can put Alli in midfield (you shouldn't but you can)  but with Lascelles the alternatives are mostly all terrible.

Why do so many people get Henderson so wrong? [emoji38]

That's simply not true, like. At least for Liverpool anyway. He passes forward all the time, nigh on always first time as well.

He was pinging them all over the shop against us.