Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

On one hand I'm glad he's not going.

1) Facing England will be easier

2) He will be rested for Newcastle

On the other hand, it is a problem that playing for Newcastle somehow excludes you from contention for playing for England.

Who was the last Newcastle player who played for England?

Carroll?

Colback was called up once, but was never picked. Carroll before that, i would think.

Guest firetotheworks

Henderson passes sideways or backwards almost every time he touches the ball. No wonder he has such good passing stats.

Why do so many people get Henderson so wrong? [emoji38]

That's simply not true, like. At least for Liverpool anyway. He passes forward all the time, nigh on always first time as well.

He was pinging them all over the shop against us.

I've said this before - i've watched Liverpool a lot recently because there were a few weeks where they were never off the TV. Henderson played in all of the games and you could count on one hand the number of times he passed the ball forward. He may have games where he's pinging the ball around but his go-to is the simple sideways or backwards pass and that's in a team with Salah, Firmino and Mane causing havoc ahead of him. I don't see one single standout attribute to his game. He's bang fucking average IMO

You're definitely lying.

Guest firetotheworks

Like back then I thought he was a no risk 'wildcard' we should have taken to sit on the bench for when we're struggling to break a team down or for the final 15 minutes in games that are stretched. Now I think he should be starting alongside Dier or Henderson.

Because he was ignored back then, now that he's (unsurprisingly) turned his form around it's harder to take him - so we end up with arguably England's best midfielder on current form sitting back home.

Crazy how often this happens. Hoddle, Le Tissier, Gazza, Scholes, Carrick etc

Carroll wasn't a Newcastle player when he was called up was he? ???

Pretty sure he won his first cap vs. France in October/November-ish time and then was sold in January.

Carroll wasn't a Newcastle player when he was called up was he? ???

Pretty sure he won his first cap vs. France in October/November-ish time and then was sold in January.

:thup:

Henderson passes sideways or backwards almost every time he touches the ball. No wonder he has such good passing stats.

That's simply not true, like. At least for Liverpool anyway. He passes forward all the time, nigh on always first time as well.

I've said this before - i've watched Liverpool a lot recently because there were a few weeks where they were never off the TV. Henderson played in all of the games and you could count on one hand the number of times he passed the ball forward. He may have games where he's pinging the ball around but his go-to is the simple sideways or backwards pass and that's in a team with Salah, Firmino and Mane causing havoc ahead of him. I don't see one single standout attribute to his game. He's bang fucking average IMO

You're definitely lying.

:lol: Why would i lie about something so trivial. I have nothing against Henderson at all, he actually seems like a decent guy. I just haven't seen anything from him that's any more than average. I'm talking about seeing him in maybe 6-7 games. Others may have watched him more and seen a world beater, but in the games i've seen him in he's been your average sideways pass merchant and nothing more. Maybe that's what Klopp was asking him to do, who knows?!

He's not spectacular but he's a very good player. Athletic, consistent, reliable, energetic - good attributes for a CM. He's never going to come up to the standard of someone like Shelvey for passing, but that's not his game. He keeps moving, getting the ball and giving it, providing energy in the middle. That's his purpose.

I don't know why people criticise Henderson so much, worst you can say is he's a bit dull IMO.

He's not spectacular but he's a very good player. Athletic, consistent, reliable, energetic - good attributes for a CM. He's never going to come up to the standard of someone like Shelvey for passing, but that's not his game. He keeps moving, getting the ball and giving it, providing energy in the middle. That's his purpose.

I don't know why people criticise Henderson so much, worst you can say is he's a bit dull IMO.

"a bit dull" is how you can describe this England squad though.

Guest Howaythetoon

I never used to rate him, but under Klopp he has cut out the Hollywood balls and is perfect for them and how they want to play as he is constantly available to get the ball and release it quickly, whether it’s a sideways pass, a ball over the top or a Hollywood ball, he’s very economical with the ball and can also win it back. He’s mobile and a decent tackler as well. Shelvey would do well to watch his game and learn a few things from it/him.

Guest firetotheworks

You're definitely lying.

[emoji38] Why would i lie about something so trivial. I have nothing against Henderson at all, he actually seems like a decent guy. I just haven't seen anything from him that's any more than average. I'm talking about seeing him in maybe 6-7 games. Others may have watched him more and seen a world beater, but in the games i've seen him in he's been your average sideways pass merchant and nothing more. Maybe that's what Klopp was asking him to do, who knows?!

I was just mucking about. It's probably just one of those 'were we watching the same match?' situations. I dunno how you'd think he's a sideways pass merchant if you've watched Liverpool. He makes a lot of interceptions that are also first time balls forward, I've never really seen a player do that before.

I've said this before - i've watched Liverpool a lot recently because there were a few weeks where they were never off the TV. Henderson played in all of the games and you could count on one hand the number of times he passed the ball forward. He may have games where he's pinging the ball around but his go-to is the simple sideways or backwards pass and that's in a team with Salah, Firmino and Mane causing havoc ahead of him. I don't see one single standout attribute to his game. He's bang f***ing average IMO

You're definitely lying.

Henderson is a good player despite being a mackem. Just picked a game at random to check his stats. West Brom away.

21 backwards

51 forwards

So what were his reasons for not picking him? Just not impressed?

If anything I just think he came into the picture a bit late.

I watched the press conference and the answer he gave suggests that he won't fit into the 'group'.

So what were his reasons for not picking him? Just not impressed?

If anything I just think he came into the picture a bit late.

I watched the press conference and the answer he gave suggests that he won't fit into the 'group'.

Delli is probably scared shitless of being stepped on again

Still only 26, Shelvey, must be in with a chance of making Euro 2020 if he maintains form.

Actually, idc  :)

If he maintains his current form he will definitely go as England will crash out after failing to break down teams that just sit in front of them and everyone will say we could have done with Shelvey