Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Lack of Wilshere could indicate a last minute change of heart after all who is there to pass a ball?

Southgate really isn’t going to pick Livermore before Shelvey and Wilshere is he?

My mate seems sure it'll be Loftus-Cheek.

Isn’t he more of an attacking central midfielder?

I like Loftus Cheek but he's not the in the same mould or currently of the same quality as Shelvey. I watched a bit of him in the last couple of Palace games, he's not ready for international football yet and is more of a backup for the likes of Alli and Lingard to me.

Wilshere not being included is a positive thing for Shelvey. I think it's a huge mistake though if Livermore gets the nob ahead of both of these. If he wasn't going to take Shelvey then surely he had to take Wilshere.

Henry Winter seems to think it’s all down to Shelveys refusal to play for the U21s.  Pretty pathetic if true.

What's this? Just Googled and I found a video of Shelvey refuting it but not really clarifying what the confusion is.

Can't believe Wilshere hasn't been picked. That's pretty crazy. He's one of the midfielders that has real quality.

If both he and Shelvey aren't included man ... wow :lol:

Livermore is so ordinary, has a history of drug use and nicking taxis and has just been relegated. Loftus-Cheek is better as an attacking midfielder and can be really carelesss in central midfield.

Southgate looking like he is going to bottle this world cup very badly.

Can't believe Wilshere hasn't been picked. That's pretty crazy. He's one of the midfielders that has real quality.

If both he and Shelvey aren't included man ... wow :lol:

Livermore is so ordinary, has a history of drug use and nicking taxis and has just been relegated. Loftus-Cheek is better as an attacking midfielder and can be really carelesss in central midfield.

Southgate looking like he is going to bottle this world cup very badly.

Who'd have thought it eh?

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s kind of won me over, he is now starting to boss games and having a bigger influence in general other than the Hollywood passing. He has become an integral part of how we play rather than someone who can play. It helps having Diame in the form he has shown beside him mind, likewise Shelvey alongside Diame makes him tick that much better. I’d still like to see Shelvey, Diame and Ritchie upgraded in the summer along with Perez and Gayle. I’m worried Shelvey and Diame have simply just been playing out of their skin and hit a purple patch. Both of them have improved their fitness levels and stamina massively mind. I’d take Shelvey to Russia, a slow tempo game where he won’t be marked tightly suits him to the ground and in Kane and Vardy especially who are both intelligent runners taking up excellent positions, he will find them every time. Shelvey can turn the ball over quickly as well over a huge distance and into space and feet which stretches teams as we have benefitted from here at Newcastle. Picks it up deep, looks up, hits a pass and bang you’re into the final 3rd or opposition box.

He's never going to get picked; don't know why people are getting so up in arms about it.

Gets a full preseason under his belt and raring to go in August for United. All that matters.

Why does everyone care so much? Happy as Larry to see him get a full pre season in. Going to the World Cup to sit on the bench and not get a minute isn’t going to help his fitness or motivation:

He’ll come back refreshed and with a point to prove. Same as Jamaal.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Shelvey, I hate the way he just stops running when we lose the ball and are hit on the counter. But international football would be ideal for him, if anyone could pick a pass for Vardy or Kane, it's got to be him. International football is quite a bit slower as well so it would suit him to the ground. I just think Southgate should have included him just to give us a different option.

Why does everyone care so much? Happy as Larry to see him get a full pre season in. Going to the World Cup to sit on the bench and not get a minute isn’t going to help his fitness or motivation:

Because if our players continue to be ignored by England, it may cause them to start looking away from the club. Because we like our players and want them to achieve their goals of playing in the world cup. Because we would like to do well in the world cup and we think some of our players would improve the chances of doing well.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

This

I just think it's a shame for him. You can see from his post match interview that he's desperate to go. I think he deserves a call-up as a just reward for his performances this season. Other lesser players are being selected over him for reasons that are largely beyond his control. It will ultimately be England's loss.

I guess because some of us have a heart.

If it's his dream to play in a World Cup and he should be going based on ability & form, but isn't for reasons that seem beyond anyone with a brain and a pair of eyes, then we feel sad and disappointed for the guy.

I'm not fussed whether he goes or not. But I think on form and ability he deserves it over many alternatives. Also having an English NUFC player at a WC might improve my ability to watch our games without wanting to stick my head in a chip pan.