Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Is Lallana likely to go, what with his 0 goals and 0 assists this season?

He's been one of England's best players the last few years. Been injured most of this season

Is Lallana likely to go, what with his 0 goals and 0 assists this season?

He's been one of England's best players the last few years. Been injured most of this season

But what about his uncontrollable temper? He strangled a kid in an u23 game :lol:

Hasn't played an international match in a couple of years and has extremely limited experience of playing in European competitions. Can't blame Southgate really for leaving out a player who hasn't been in an England squad at any point during qualification, even if he has had a good season.

Personally don't think his game particularly suits Southgate's tactics anyway. Whether or not they're particularly the right tactics to be playing with the players he has available is another argument entirely. At least as a manager he's mainly been sticking by his principles.

Hasn't played an international match in a couple of years and has extremely limited experience of playing in European competitions. Can't blame Southgate really for leaving out a player who hasn't been in an England squad at any point during qualification, even if he has had a good season.

Personally don't think his game particularly suits Southgate's tactics anyway. Whether or not they're particularly the right tactics to be playing with the players he has available is another argument entirely. At least as a manager he's mainly been sticking by his principles.

I mean you can like as it was him who was responsible for that.

He was pissing about starting Jake Livermore and Jack Cork.

Exactly.

Henderson passes sideways or backwards almost every time he touches the ball. No wonder he has such good passing stats.

Why do so many people get Henderson so wrong? [emoji38]

That's simply not true, like. At least for Liverpool anyway. He passes forward all the time, nigh on always first time as well.

He was pinging them all over the shop against us.

I've said this before - i've watched Liverpool a lot recently because there were a few weeks where they were never off the TV. Henderson played in all of the games and you could count on one hand the number of times he passed the ball forward. He may have games where he's pinging the ball around but his go-to is the simple sideways or backwards pass and that's in a team with Salah, Firmino and Mane causing havoc ahead of him. I don't see one single standout attribute to his game. He's bang fucking average IMO

Should've been in not only because of form but because his range of passing is something none of our midfielders can offer. England's loss I suppose. Full pre season for him, then. Get him ready for August.

Gutted for him really would’ve love for him to showcase his quality on the big stage

i'd have sold him in the summer and then probably in january tbh but am delighted to have been proven wrong about the lad as he's on the way to becoming as good as people have always thought he could be...what's particularly gutting in this case is the recovery from a poor start to the season to him dominating games and playing out of his skin peaking at the exact right time to not even be considered

feel for the lad

lascelles was conisistent all season so it feels different if that makes sense, shelvey has picked himself up from his lowest ebb to have arguably his best period of form at the right time and being arguably the best performing english midfielder in the league

ignored :lol:

Yeah at points of the season when Shelvey wasn't particularly worthy of a call-up. A year in the Championship followed by a pretty crap start to the season meant he wasn't even a guaranteed pick for us.  Did very little prior to the September/October games to warrant selection and by November Rafa had dropped him. Only real chance he would have had was for the two games in March which were both friendlies by which point nobody was realistically going to break into the setup for the WC who hadn't already been involved.

Means he's fresh, well rested and raring to go in August.

This. :thup: Newcastle first and foremost.

He would have gone, had he played for any of the Top 6. It's all one big boys club.

O0

Hope he gets a cracking tan and loads of rest.

Yeah at points of the season when Shelvey wasn't particularly worthy of a call-up. A year in the Championship followed by a pretty crap start to the season meant he wasn't even a guaranteed pick for us.  Did very little prior to the September/October games to warrant selection and by November Rafa had dropped him. Only real chance he would have had was for the two games in March which were both friendlies by which point nobody was realistically going to break into the setup for the WC who hadn't already been involved.

Even when we were shite (and he was shite) it was still apparent that he offered something no other players in contention could offer, he should have been in because trailing him was pretty much a no lose situation which could have had huge rewards, no other player in contention can pass a ball like him, very few can in world football - Southgate just prefers 'solid' players.

At his worst Shelvey still makes a load more sense than Jake Livermore and Jack Cork imo, if it gets to a point where you're starting Jake Livermore you're pretty much out of the tournament anyway.

Like back then I thought he was a no risk 'wildcard' we should have taken to sit on the bench for when we're struggling to break a team down or for the final 15 minutes in games that are stretched. Now I think he should be starting alongside Dier or Henderson.

Because he was ignored back then, now that he's (unsurprisingly) turned his form around it's harder to take him - so we end up with arguably England's best midfielder on current form sitting back home.

Means he's fresh, well rested and raring to go in August.

This. :thup: Newcastle first and foremost.

He would have gone, had he played for any of the Top 6. It's all one big boys club.

Maybe his racism debacle came back to haunt him. But agree, Toon first...

On one hand I'm glad he's not going.

1) Facing England will be easier

2) He will be rested for Newcastle

On the other hand, it is a problem that playing for Newcastle somehow excludes you from contention for playing for England.

Who was the last Newcastle player who played for England?

On one hand I'm glad he's not going.

1) Facing England will be easier

2) He will be rested for Newcastle

On the other hand, it is a problem that playing for Newcastle somehow excludes you from contention for playing for England.

Who was the last Newcastle player who played for England?

Carroll?