Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

4 hours ago, TRon said:

The lack of athleticism is still a big drawback to his game, but in his favour, he is actually one of our best players on the ball. It's not just his passing, it's also his ball retention, he has good control and isn't easy to dispossess. His tackling is still shit for a deep lying midfielder, but he's quite disciplined in positioning so he does shield the back four somewhat.

To be fair, we aren’t gonna lack legs / athleticism with Bruno and Jo in there. He’s probably a good fit with the two of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

A fit and motivated Shelvey will be such a big boost to our squad, especially because it will allow Bruno to be able to play that number 8 role again.

Really interesting and kind of excitng that Howe said he's as fit as he's seen him. I remember when him and Diame had that period under Rafa when they were bossing the midfield and keeping Mikel Merino out of the team. That was also during the time when Shelvey was as fit as I remember seeing him.

15 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The ease in which he played a ball with the outside of his boot to the corner flag was impressive like, doesn’t look like he’ll have any issues slotting straight back into the CDM role.

Only question I can see is if Longstaff keeps up his pressing and pressure numbers there might be an argument for keeping him in. 

Said on the other thread that the five or so minutes he was on, he played 3 perfect balls into the wide areas of the pitch. This meant valuable time was wasted and allowed the team to take up the correct positions. I'm not sure if Shelvey has the legs to be a long term regular in Howe's system, but I actually believe he will be a valuable player for the rest of this season (maybe more as a mainly substitute replacement) until we see these positions upgraded. To his credit he has obviously worked hard to get a lot fitter and no Hollywood balls today just very sensible placing not the ball to assist in playing time out.

Edited by et tu brute