Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

It's a blow in terms of squad depth that's for sure. Just means more minutes for Anderson and Longstaff. That's not an issue I don't think. Problem will be if its ends up being longer than 12 weeks, but with a mid season World Cup it gives Shelvey a little longer to get back to fitness.

Genuinely feel bad for him. Has got me thinking about our CM depth. I'm really concerned about Bruno and Big Jur - I'm not sure if anything happened to either of them we could justify having a squad player even close to them in quality..

Willock looked really good on Sat, so I think he's nailed the 3rd midfield slot, but with Shelvey man doon, we're a playmaker light. I also think we need another enforcer like Jur - I'm not sure Longstaff can do that role.

Our priorities were a CF then a winger. As many have said, a CM now joins that top list before the window shuts.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

22 minutes ago, STM said:

I think we are incredibly lucky that the World Cup will save him missing quite a few extra games.

It's a blow but we can cope.

Agreed. On a side note, this is one reason why I'm a bit less concerned about a) doing deals in this transfer window and b) Callum Wilson's fitness. Circumstances are gonna make this a strange season with some unexpected upsides and downsides.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Do you even put him in the 25 for the first half of the season now? He's not gunna feature pre world cup

Absolutely not, only 2 games after WC, probably 1 when they move the Leeds game. Think you have free-reign to play anyone while the transfer window is open.

Although I'm not his biggest fan he's clearly improved a huge amount and would like to have thought we'd have seen the best Shelvey we've ever had this coming year when he played, so it's a huge shame.

This has to change our approach, though. There's got to be an argument to bring a planned future acquisition forward. Any money we were looking to spend for next year makes sense to be spent now.

It's a good job for him that he doesn't need anymore than 3 games to trigger the contract extension! If his surgery doesn't go as planned and his return gets delayed a few more weeks he could still only just make it.

Need to dip into the market now to mitigate this. Needn't be a worldie but we now need cover in another position, not seen too much of Anderson but it's a hell of a risk to rely on him to come in and perform. I've got high hopes for him but him being one injury away from starting is canny scary, they'll need to react to this and get another body in