Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I still have absolutely no idea why we signed him. Especially given the fact we were in a relegation struggle when he arrived.

He's a player we simply can't afford at the moment, good passer of the ball or not.

I thought he didn't effect the game at all, didn't pull off any Hollywood pass, didn't create anything in the final third of the field, didn't work hard enough and really didn't look too bothered at all. It's not a question of being the worst player on the pitch, he wasn't, but he's not put in the performances we should be seeing. I'd happily see him sold, he clearly has a very high opinion of his limited abilities.

I thought he was abysmal in the first half.  Far too many soft/wafted 10yrd passes that forced the receiving player to take a controlling touch, jump in to protect the ball or simply not get there in the first place. When caught out he repeatedly did a frustrated jump that wasted vital seconds in chasing back. His ability to float aimlessly on the edge of the box allowed players to cut inside and create space, their first being a perfect example. Then there was his constant finger pointing and shouting, most of which was identifying his own inabilities. There was one decent ball out to the wing but he was happy just to pick the simple ball without looking up for further options.

He improved in the second half but was so far off the pace. If he's been working on fitness, speed and stamina over the summer then he must have been in a really bad place last year. I can now see what the Swansea warned us about.

He was decent yesterday, I'm not his biggest fan but for me he has to play at the moment. Nothing worked out brilliantly for him yesterday obviously, but I didn't think he had a particularly bad game.

Did he fight for the ball with any conviction? He's a very talented passer, but he seems to be a yard slower than everyone else even at this level. It's pointless having all the skill in the world if some no mark can stop your game just by being faster and stronger.

I was delighted when we signed him. Mainly because of seeing him shine in a couple of Liverpool games. I think he needs pulled-up about his (lack of) contribution to both goals we conceded yesterday. Beaten far too easily for first and was level with eventual goal scorer when he broke from midfield to score the second. That kind of unselfish tracking is as essential in his midfield role as the more eye-catching long passing.

Think Gerrard or Solano, both could put it on a sixpence/were great passers, but they also covered the ground and snuffed-out potential threats when their teams weren't in possession. 

Was blowing out his arse after 10 minutes and has a shit attitude on the pitch. Needs to sort himself out.

If he couldn't do it for Rafa Benitez ahead of a season in a league should be capable of fucking bossing, then I doubt he ever will sadly.

Not his biggest fan but was one of the better ones yesterday in my eyes, at least he tries to be positive with the ball and actually passes forward as opposed to Colback, Anita, Tiote etc.

He is poor defensively and needs to work on that but he is capable of opening up teams with a pass, for that reason alone I'd keep him in the team for now.

Not his biggest fan but was one of the better ones yesterday in my eyes, at least he tries to be positive with the ball and actually passes forward as opposed to Colback, Anita, Tiote etc.

He is poor defensively and needs to work on that but he is capable of opening up teams with a pass, for that reason alone I'd keep him in the team for now.

Agree had a so so game but looks for the pass unlike others